Tuning Tips For EFI Bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Joel . Am from malaysia , your southern neighbour. Hola.

Just a couple of points :

both of us haven't run our bikes on a dyno to get AF ratios. So , having no AFR guide , we're both guessing.

if its guessing (educated guessing) , then I would guess the following from experience :

- airbox modding (no box , open box , box with no lid , box with new holes , free flow airfilter , etc) , all these do not need re-map for EFI (whether car or bikes). Its pretty proven by simply the amount of people running it without mapping.

- slip on modding. Again , pretty well known that you don't need to remap. Tons of bikes running slip on (I have 3 bikes , 1400 gtr , water gs and this KLX) with no issues. This is pretty well established as far as tuning is concerned.

- full system . This gets a bit hazier. Some need , some don't need. The advice is always to confirm with a dyno run. Conventional wisdom here.

Conclusion : I will stick with what is common knowledge out there and work from there unless somebody shows that the AFR graph goes lean with just your airbox being deprived of its lid.

cheers.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pistole
Hi Joel . Am from malaysia , your southern neighbour. Hola.

Just a couple of points :

both of us haven't run our bikes on a dyno to get AF ratios. So , having no AFR guide , we're both guessing.

Hola back at ya from Thailand

Again I respectfully disagree with you.

I am not guessing about my AFR levels, I have a Power Commander 5 with Autotune fitted to my bike & I have created over 30 MAPS at different AFR levels with a 0.1 precision.

Autotune is quite an expensive option but it takes home tuning to another level when no dyno machines are available!

Like I said before my AFR starts at 13.4 & slowly raises to 12.8 in small increments depending on throttle position vs revs. After 2 years of mucking about with many MAPS, I think I have the perfect balance of smoothness, power & fuel economy.

I can't be bothered to make a PCv with Autotune tutorial video as there are many already on youtube but this guys short video will give you an idea of what this fuel controller can do. What he does with his idle can be done throughout the whole rev range. The Autotune is a $200 addition to the PCv & in Thailand with no dyno machines on my Island & a bunch of self trained so so mechanics, it was well worth the money!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

No worries man. We're all just trying to squeeze that little bit more from that 250 (or in your case , haha , alot more than a 250).

cheers.