Tuning EFI on my KLX250R.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tuning EFI on my KLX250R.

Ok,
Looks like i am going to buy a power commander , auto tune box, K&N Filter, Snorkel off,
Does anyone have experience with setting these up??

Cheers

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

i also ordered the pc v. I believe if u have the auto tune you will not have much to do...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

PCV is very easy, especially if someone with same setup passes on their MAP to you! Easy install & easy to use!

The Autotune (AT) is a completely different animal:

1. quite complicated to install - lots of wiring etc etc (crap instructions) & stuffing the PCV & Autotune all under the seat is a mission in it's self!! Can be done though. I can post a pic of how I got it all fitted it under the seat & where I put the big Bosch 02 sensor, if you need!!

2. your stock 02 sensor bung is to small & the larger bung supplied will need welding in.

3. The bosch wide band 02 sensor is way bigger than stock & you will have trouble finding a good spot to weld the bung. Take your time working out a place not to open but away from airbox plastic.

4. Small single cylinder bikes are hard to tune with Autotune at low revs....just not enough reliable gas from a 250 engine for the AT to sniff. It will eventually work but will take way longer to fine tune than a large cylinder engine!!

5. Expect to take a week to really get you head around setting AFR's & trimming MAPS with AT & maybe a month to get really good with the software.(If your only playing for a couple of hours or at weekends etc). Your gonna be doing hundreds of KM's of steady revs test riding for you to eventually get to the fine tuning side of a quality homemade MAP. No good detailed tutorials on the AT unit anywhere on the net!!! that I could find.

It's a great piece of equipment & well worth the time/effort but don't expect to just plug n play.......my 2 cents

Good luck

Last edited by JoelThailand; 09-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default two brothers

Hi have just arrived home to play with my bike,
It has already got a 2 brothers tuning box fitted.

Does anyone know if this is any good and how to adjust as the idle is a bit lumpy and eratic,

???

Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subseageorge
Hi have just arrived home to play with my bike,
It has already got a 2 brothers tuning box fitted.

Does anyone know if this is any good and how to adjust as the idle is a bit lumpy and eratic,

???
I'm a little confused George

Are you going to be using a TBR Juice box or a PCV with Autotune??

If your going to use the JB then have a look at this EJK tutorial (btw they make the JB for TBR). It is a pretty simple way to tune your bike & works ok after you know what to do with it.

EJK Controller Unit Functionality

Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the confusion,, I bought the bike the day i left indonesia to go to work,,(Abroad)
I now realise it has a TBR juice box already fitted,
So just need to know how to play around with it,,

Thanks

Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Joel,,
That tutorial was ace, just what i was looking for,,
Sorry to be a pain,, Is there anywhere in Thailand does aftermarket parts for the KLX??
Hopefully with a website so i can order of the web,

Cheers Pal,,

Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

From my experience the EFI can adjust mixtures to accomodate all stage 1 mods on a standard 250 cc engine, such as header, tail pipe air filter etc. The O2 sensor as supplied does this as well as the algorithm in the ignition map.
I fitted the EJK from Dobek ( same as TBR Juice box ) to my 250 and was disapointed with the performance gains. I managed only to enrichen the original mapping with no real performance gains. In my opinion this is not really bang for buck as far as performance mods go on a standard 250 EFI.

As soon as I upped the cc with a 300 OMC jug and piston, the whole scenario changes.
Suddenly you now need much more gas to feed the increased cc.

I fitted a re tuned EJK controller for the 300 and the performance gains are huge compared to a standard 250 with all avilable stage 1 mods.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Graeme,
I pulled the plug out and it seems to be the right colour, i will try a few things with the kit i have before spending more on it,, I think i will upgrade the suspension first now. As the roads in Sumatra are shocking,, I am looking for an Ohlins Shock and Forks but havnt managed to find them Yet,, Did you find a differnce with the snorkel removed? I hear conflicting stories on that one?
Cheers Pal..

Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subseageorge
Thanks Graeme,
I pulled the plug out and it seems to be the right colour, i will try a few things with the kit i have before spending more on it,, I think i will upgrade the suspension first now. As the roads in Sumatra are shocking,, I am looking for an Ohlins Shock and Forks but havnt managed to find them Yet,, Did you find a differnce with the snorkel removed? I hear conflicting stories on that one?
Cheers Pal..
I run mine with the lid off. Only thing that wakes the 250 up a bit. Unless you crossing rivers the standard snorkle must go.

Quick Reply: Tuning EFI on my KLX250R.