Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   True Privateerhttp://kawasakiforums.com/forum/images/kirsch/editor/menupop.gif (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/true-privateerhttp-kawasakiforums-com-forum-images-kirsch-editor-menupop-gif-36999/)

davidgrip 12-17-2011 12:32 AM

True Privateer

3 Attachment(s)
True Privateer. Finished my first motocross season, 30+ open. I ride from Indianapolis to Haspin Acres- Laurel,In 90 miles . Race and ride back home. I worked/practiced hard to learn how to race my 09 KLX 250s. Every gear, shift, and speed. Turn and jump, fluid and smooth. The last race, I changed to a 13t front spocket, increasing my pull off the line and out of the turns. This season I will be running Dunlop 606 tires. This should help the only real issue, traction. Off the start line in the watered/tractor tilled start area. Once on the track, it took a little time for the mud to clear the tires. My plan is to race the KLX another season, and then move on to a KX 250f. Technique is my main goal, the only thing I can control. My favorite comment is "That bike is not suppose to do that." I Love this bike!
David
Team 2G
Attachment 4800

Attachment 4801

Attachment 4802

Matasickle 12-17-2011 02:21 AM

Badass!

TNC 12-17-2011 05:55 AM

david, does your 30+ open class have any other qualifiers involved like being dualsport or such? Are you racing against other open class race bikes? Speaking of open class, does yours have a big bore kit or are you just racing an age group with no qualifier on displacement? I love my KLX, but for me I'd hate to race motocross on it. I'm sure you know this...if you do get a KX250F at some point, you'll think you died and went to heaven compared to motocrossing a KLX.:D

But when you boil it all down, if you're having fun, then that makes it all worth it. We had a street legal class at our local motocross track in the late '70s/early '80s. It was a bit punishing, but it was a lot of fun.

davidgrip 12-17-2011 08:12 PM

30+ Open, no displacement or class restrictions. I have the only dual sport.
Expert level and just turned 30 experts win the races. I am very lucky, a new promoter took over the series, and let me race my first race. He is building 2 tracks, 1 supercross and 1 motocross, to national track standards. 297 lbs, 17 hp, and soft suspension are not made to ride the way the tracks are designed. My bike is stock, except for the 13t sprocket. I race the track to the bike. I practice with the top Open Class riders. They pass me, but it pushes myself and the bike to our limits. I always have the biggest smile, you can't take away. I love this bike!

linkin5 12-19-2011 02:50 AM

Last time I was at Haspin it was a little over the top, lucky someone isn't killed there daily. 4 wheel drives and buggies on bike tracks. Never been to an organized race there though. Hello from another Hoosier and TNC is correct if you ever get on a proper race bike even a stock piece you'll have it made.

davidgrip 12-19-2011 03:39 PM

I have never ridden the trails at Haspin. I won my KLX on ebay, Memeorial Weekend. Rode it the first 2 weekends at Badlands, Attica, and was not thrilled with the mid thigh deep water holes. I started riding in 1971, 9 yrs old. I rode motocross, but never raced. I have been riding sport bikes for years. I race DH mountainbikes, and due to the expense of travel, I decided to purchase the KLX and ride weekends. 70-90 miles to riding, ride to ride and ride home. The first time I rode at Haspin, I rode the supercross track, practiced and learn the handling of the bike. The next weekend was a rain out. I showed up the following Sunday, to practice and there were banners, motor homes and trailers everywhere. Oh S_ , there racing! I just rode 90 miles, to practice on the big track, 1 mile regular motocross track. Someone said " sign up at the tower." Were Racing! They let me in, and I have raced the series. I know the limitations of the bike. I just am having to much fun. One more season on the KLX and then I will get a "Real Bike". The promoter and racers want me back, so it can't be to bad.
Where do you ride in Indiana?

TNC 12-19-2011 04:17 PM

david, your scenario reminds me of what a friend of mine did here locally. Back in '84, three of us who worked part time at a motorcycle shop bought those '84 newer generation XR250R's that had just come out. One of the guys is a killer of a rider. We had a big indoor MX race out at our county coliseum one day. Harold signed up for it on his XR. He raced the intermediate class full of real racing 2-stroke bikes. Here was Harold running around the MX track on his XR, and he turned on the headlight for effect. People were cheering him on and laughing so hard. Harold got 3rd place against about 20 decent riders on real race bikes. Now, Harold went on to win the 250 B class for the entire state enduro circuit for the whole year, so you can see he's no ordinary rider. Maybe your local promoters know the value of having an "underdog" racing against the more serious machines. I know crowds love it, and even other racers get a kick out it.

TNC 12-19-2011 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
david, you mention DH mountainbiking...I also like long travel MTB. Currently riding a Nomad and have been riding MTB's for over 15 years.

davidgrip 12-19-2011 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great Pic. Great Bike. Here's one from Keystone a couple years ago.Attachment 4808
Same Jersey/Helmet/Pads. Motocross was an easy transition.
Thanks also for the story.

linkin5 12-20-2011 12:10 PM

I live near the Lawrence County off road park, Redbird and Motosupreme are close by. All of these places are better than Haspin but they all see alot of action and Redbird is the only one with dedicated trails.