Airbox Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Airbox Mod Question

Hello! I have an 09 KLX250s and was just wondering if removing the snorkel or the air box cover will require me to change anything on my carb. I would prefer not to have to mess with the carb in all honesty. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2018, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

You cannot do either. Also, there is no use in doing either until you have, at least, a performance slipon (as well as a DJ carb kit 2152 or 2206)..

Old 05-12-2018, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Fact is even left stock, it still needs jetted to start easier and run to maximum capability. They are leaned out to the max from Kawasaki.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Well Id like to, in the near future; put an exhaust on, dynojet kit, and an air filter, but this being my first bike I am very hesitant to mess with the carb!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KawasakiKid
Well Id like to, in the near future; put an exhaust on, dynojet kit, and an air filter, but this being my first bike I am very hesitant to mess with the carb!
No worries brother, there are plenty of folks here that can help with the carb.... it is easier than it looks and tons on pictures and info available.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Abramsgunner
No worries brother, there are plenty of folks here that can help with the carb.... it is easier than it looks and tons on pictures and info available.
Glad to hear it thank you!

Old 05-13-2018, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

The hardest part about working on the jetting is getting the carb off the bike and reinstalling it.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-13-2018, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Key tip if you take it off to do any sort of work or jetting is to put the diaphragm in a cup of hot water to keep it soft and proper shape to fit back in place. I think that's one of the tips from Pippin, not sure about Dyno Jet. I did it just to make sure it went back in nice. It did.

Carbs on bikes like are mostly simple compared to automobiles. Just make sure you know the order of parts, like the slide area. Jets and such are obvious. There are only a couple and they cannot be confused when refitting. The pain in the butt about carbs is if you have to remove them a couple times when jetting. That is the difficult part.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

On the klx you can get to the jets and needle without removing the carb

Old 05-13-2018, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

KawasakiKid, You probably already know this, but let's get it said - A "wrench session" to remove your carb and install a DJ kit, must be done 100% correctly and successfully or you will redo the session as many times as it takes to get it done 100% correctly and successfully.

If you are the type that can accomplish 99% of it only to FUBAR the last 1% ( like re-connecting / re-routing hoses incorrectly) , you'd better set aside an entire weekend.. Reverse those %'s and you'd better set aside a month..

In this, I can guarantee you that what seems like childsplay to some of us is practically impossible for others - I / we have seen this in here time and time again.. Hell, getting the rear boot back on correctly is sometimes overlooked by even us "He-Men socket garglers"..

See my link below (CVK34 list of...) to see some of the issues that can crop up..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-13-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbox Mod Question