Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Talk me out of getting a KLX. (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/talk-me-out-getting-klx-37608/)

Prefader 04-03-2012 05:03 PM

Talk me out of getting a KLX.

Hi all! I've been lurking around here for a while now, but it's time for me to finally post something.

Some background:
I'm 35 (almost 36 . . . but I'm trying to keep that a secret from myself, so shhh), and live inside the city limits of Baltimore, MD. My regular work commute is about 12 miles each way and I have a choice between taking side streets or highways. For the last 3 years, I've been riding this thing just about any time it's not too cold or I don't need to stop for more than a few groceries:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/IMG_1025.JPG
I LOVE riding the thing. I can only imagine how ridiculous I must look doing 43 in a full tuck on top of what sounds like a hive of angry wasps, but holy hell is it fun. I've put about 4000 miles on it since it was given to me, and I have only a couple complaints:

1) No highway, and roads that are lacking in shoulder space need to have a relatively low speed limit. I do some work in the rural areas about 20 miles away, and getting out there on the moped has been a harrowing experience at times due to the 2-lane roads without shoulders.

2) Long distance comfort. Yeah, those are drag bars, and that's a skateboard with thin foam and vinyl wrapped around it for a seat. Sometimes it feels like my entire body is directly connected to the motor, and I get numb in places I didn't even know I had. That said, it's not killing me on my commutes. Anything more than about 30 minutes though and it starts to get uncomfortable.

3) It's got ZERO capacity for carrying stuff. I have a set of panniers I put on it when I need to, and I always have a backpack with me, but it's seriously limited in how much crap I can carry around on it. I mean, if I put 40 pounds of extra stuff on the rack, the motor's not able to pull itself over a speed bump (well, it's not that bad, but still . . .), and if it does get over the bump the rack will break in two.

So, in a couple of weeks, I'm taking the BRC, selling the piglet, and dropping some money down for a motorcycle. I've got my choices narrowed down to 2 bikes: a KLX, or a TU250.

What I'm wondering is, why shouldn't my first motorcycle be a KLX? What, in the opinions of you who actually own, ride, and know a thing or two about this stuff, is going to make me regret dropping the extra $1000 on a KLX over the TU?

TNC 04-03-2012 05:14 PM

Wow!...you're braver than I am. I know what you mean about trying to move with traffic when you're grossly underpowered and without any acceleration power to speak of. No, the KLX isn't going to be a powerhouse, but it's going to be in another warp speed galaxy compared to that thing. There's no reason you couldn't totally enjoy a KLX for your described needs laid out in your post, but there are a host of other candidates that would work well too. The beauty of DS bikes in general IMO is that they can navigate almost anywhere. If you have lousy roads, they blow them off like they weren't even there. If you need to go freeway speeds for awhile, most of them will do it without too much drama...just don't expect extreme speeds out of the smaller engined ones like the KLX. DS bikes are like urban guerrillas. They excel at top performance at almost nothing but do just about everything with some competence. The KLX in particular is durable, reliable, and a little more competent off road than many of the other true DS bikes available. They're a decent value too as compared to those other bikes.

Illking 04-03-2012 05:46 PM

from a fellow moped rider Ill weigh in.

First off are you looking at the S of SF? What type of riding besides your commute do you plan on? If any interest in trails and dirt this is a no brainer.

I went klx250s, I also had a cb400, and still have mb50 and puch maxi and the klx is the funnest. great all around town bike, great trail bike. Only drawback for me is freeway riding, LA super highways are a bit scary on the 250 but it does it.

As far as beginner ride-ability its very easy. its gonna be taller than the TU250 but the TU i feel you'll grow out of faster. Meaning you'll have fun on it but its not gonna be a fun long distance bike it won't go fast. The Klx is the same but you have everything off the pavement to look forward to.

Since you like the excitement of a moped the klx makes more sense. Felling like you can jump curbs and do some weird mad max city driving. I feel the TU at best would make a fun little cafe base but after you do the work of converting it you'll be bored with its underperformed engine. If you want a street only bike id suggest going to a 4-500cc still great beguiner bike and you'll actually be safer on freeway with the extra power.

P.S. You came to the wrong place to get talked out of a KLX250s/sf.

linkin5 04-03-2012 06:01 PM

In stock form the bike you have now will be alot faster and more comfortable to ride any distance. But with a few extra dollars these things can be fixed. On my fist view of your ride my first thought was that seat looks like my old skate board.

TNC 04-03-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by linkin5 (Post 468714)
In stock form the bike you have now will be alot faster and more comfortable to ride any distance. But with a few extra dollars these things can be fixed. On my fist view of your ride my first thought was that seat looks like my old skate board.

Now just a minute here:D...not sure if I'm reading you correctly..."in stock form the bike you have now will be a lot faster and more comfortable to ride any distance"...???:eek:

linkin5 04-03-2012 06:13 PM

Ok man the KLX will be a little faster stock but probably not alot more comfortable.

Prefader 04-03-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Illking (Post 468713)
P.S. You came to the wrong place to get talked out of a KLX250s/sf.

:cool: I didn't really want to get talked out of it, I guess.

I've never ridden trail or off road, but I'd really like to give it a shot someday. If it weren't so hard to find SFs for sale around here, I'd probably go for one of those. However, I've seen a fair number of people saying that it's more difficult to make an SF off-road worthy than it is to make an S a dedicated streetbike, and so given the availability and flexibility, the S seems like the better buy.

The height doesn't really bother me . . . I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam.

I've got a '78 Maxi collecting rust in my backyard right now. :( I keep meaning to finish cleaning it up so my brother can have it, but I never seem to find the time to do it.

wildcard 04-03-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Prefader (Post 468718)
:cool: I didn't really

I've never ridden trail or off road, but I'd really like to give it a shot someday. If it weren't so hard to find SFs for sale around here, I'd probably go for one of those. However, I've seen a fair number of people saying that it's more difficult to make an SF off-road worthy than it is to make an S a dedicated streetbike, and so given the availability and flexibility, the S seems like the better buy.

For the most part this is true, there seem to be more street tire options for the S than dirt tires for the SF. Plus i like the extra suspension travel on the S even in a motard setup.

But you really can't go wrong either way IMO.

Pogiboy 04-03-2012 06:51 PM

Klx also grow old with you. I mean you add mods according to your riding skills. Me, I'm a newbie so 13t fits fine . I ride trails mostly. When my skills improve, might rejet . Later do exhaust, and when my skills are there, might do 351.

CousinLarry 04-03-2012 06:55 PM

I definitely would not get one.