Tag Placement??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tag Placement??

This might be a dumb question, but here goes.

I like the mod that sdunne did with his tail light and tag. The look of the bike changes without the black license plate finder. I was woundering instead of taking the tail light off, can you place the tag on the underside of the rear finder? I have seen sport bikes that have done this. My question is does the tag need a light on it or is that something extra. I have seen cars that dont have a light that shines on the tag. Does anyone know the law on this? Just wondering on how this would look?? Any thoughts?? Here is a picture of what I was thinking about doing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/998/B7B332F60DB14790A823DBEB3801BEDF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tag Placement??

In Texas, you'll get pulled over for no light on the tag and/or not be able to pass inspection. Having said that, I had my KLR650 done up that way (i.e. tag bolted up high with no light) and didn't get dinged but it is taking a chance.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 AM

Personally I would double check with the codes, laws of your state to make sure this is possible. I believe that a license plate has to be visible on the rear of the vehicle for easy identification purposes. It would be a little obvious if the cop pulled up beside you to check and make sure you don't have a stolen bike going 75 mph on the freeway lol, but who knows, this is just my assumtption.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 PM

In MD, you need a visible, lighted tag.
As usual, of course, that doesn't stop all the drug dealers in the Baltimore (and suburbs too) area from riding un-tagged pure dirt bikes (which they steal from local racers of course) all over the place on the any street they feel like it, with impunity, since the cops can't catch them!
See 2 or 3 dirtbikes every so often going down the middle of the strret in a wheelie (over the spped limit! gasp!) -- giving all of us a bad image. People see a dual-sport and figure you might be "one of THEM" -- at least they tend to give you wide berth on the road, in case you carry a gun, like all the drug dealers do of course. Jeez.
You guys living in the sticks are so lucky.
Oh, and if you are riding a Harley, then you are "respectable"! What a difference from the old days....