Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Before jumping all the way into the carb for upping the main jet, if that's what you're thinking, maybe try it with the air box lid off. Someone else here was talking surging like this, but I think they put the box lid back on after being off and with a KDX snorel. It's an easy change to see if it makes a difference. If its getting a lean surge, more air with the lid off could make it worse, perhaps giving you an indicator that lean is indeed the problem.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

1 or 2 clip positions on the needle wouldn't prevent it from running, if it was off it might not run perfect but that alone sure wouldn't affect the way it started, and it would still run just not perfect.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine does it about 7k or 3/4 throttle. I raised my needle one and it seems better, but is NOT gone. It seemed when I moved the needle up (more midrange fuel) it moved the occasional misfire up from 6500 too. Sometimes it does it at lower rpm and if I play with the throttle it changes, so I think my slide is sticking a little.

Stuck here with snow

Getting a TM 36-68 pumper so no more messing with the stock carb. I use the KDX snorkel because its quieter than no airbox cover.

David

Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

HeyHeyHeyKids
Got the float to move. Now it's time for the jet replacement.
Any ideas on how to keep the float from sticking again?
Joanne or Bill I've one of your TM33's. Finally got the float to move and ran the bike till warmed. Now want to change the jet but also don't want any sticking trouble after this change.
Any input greatly apreciated
Marc

Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry surging

Well
Installed the 142.5 main jet ( as recommended by B.Blue, was a 140 in it. )

Still freakin surges and William B. answered my email today. Asked a couple questions. Sure hope he has THE answer.

As u can tell I'm somewhat annoyed. That carb is NOT EASY to put in or take out

Last edited by MADDOG2007; 08-01-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: B.B answered email and is thinking things over. I hope
Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MADDOG2007
Well
Installed the 142.5 main jet ( as recommended by B.Blue, was a 140 in it. )

Still freakin surges and J&B are not replying to my posts or emails SO FAR.

What the Frigg do I do now??????????????
As u can tell I'm somewhat annoyed. That carb is NOT EASY to put in or take out!

HELLOOOOOOO J and or B BLUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A phone call would work best I think. Bill doesn't post frequently on the forum, nor does he have a lot of time for emails.

Phone worked best for me. YMMV.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Thanks Mel

But w/400.00 plus into this so far.
Might be good money after bad. That'll be up to William B.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had this problem from day one, dealer can't find the problem. I've contacted kawi and they say to take it to the dealer. It's like it's a ghost. My SF was doing it in stock form, then I added my Q4 and a dyno jet kit which changed my jetting and it still did it, then I added and after market air filter and removed air box lid and it still does it. so I have a hard time thinking it's carb related or else something would have changed right?

those of you that have ran out of gas, you get that cough or surge right before it dies, well that is what mine does only it doesn't die it's like it starves for fuel for a split second I notice it most cruising at 7,000 (66 mph indicated) which is roughly 3/4 throttle but is does happen at other speeds and throttle positions just not as noticeable

I enjoy this bike but if I can't find this problem it may have to go and I'll find a new toy, after 1.5 years and 8,000 miles the problem is still a ghost.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

If a vent line was pinched but not totally pinched off it could cause this see if fuel flow freely from your petcock?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Its the same here. I have 8,ooo miles. New Slide carb last year, still has an OCCASIONAL misfire. I changed my gearing which masked the problem because I now run 62 mph at 6,000 rpm.

I was zooming down an expressway with a passenger going 75. Bike was spitting and sputtering. I lifted the needle one notch and it was certainly better but still there.

One guy here said they unplugged his regulator/rectifier on a dyno and the problem disappeared. This could be true. I have not tried it yet.

Since I changed the gearing, I don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed