May downgrade from a DRZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Default May downgrade from a DRZ

Well, I'm glad to see that some forum for the KLX250 is still active; I checked out klr650.net and it's pretty quiet over there. I plan on searching through this forum for as much info on the KLX as I can find. I'm considering switching from my current DRZ400 to a KLX in the spring. Didn't get a chance to ride the DRZ much overall since I messed up my back this spring and couldn't ride at all; still recovering but it got me thinking that maybe I should downsize to something a little more manageable (and maybe be a little easier to pick up when I drop it). A little lower seat height wouldn't hurt either. Still in research mode but would love to hear of anyone who made a similar move.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I moved from a KLR650 to a KLX250. I'm going to split the duties into two bikes eventually. For now, I'll stay away from the highway and long adventure rides. The KLX seems like its going to handle the trails way better, and commuting at 55 mph max is better too. This is a great bike if you like to tinker as well. Lots to improve on. If modesty is your style right now, keep it stockish and enjoy many trouble-free hours on the streets and trails.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't call it a downgrade... its a lateral. KLX doesn't have quite as much power but it has a 6 speed, and its lighter. not a freeway bike, but then the Z wasn't either.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Agree. Rode single track/gravel roads with a buddy on a DRZ. Not a downgrade at all - in fact, at the end of the weekend, he said he was going to get "something smaller".

Old 12-02-2018, 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, sorry, by "downgrade" I didn't mean a lesser bike but rather size and handling-wise. My first bike was a KLR but I found it too top-heavy and unwieldy for off-road (I'm only 5' 10", < 200 lbs). I then decided to get something much lighter so went with a Yamaha XT250; I didn't even find that bike under-powered but it was just uncomfortable due to the seat height. So sold that one and decided on the DRZ; have only ridden the DRZ on the road so far and if I didn't have the back issues, I might not be thinking of switching. But I am interested in the lower seat height, somewhat lighter weight (I know it's not that much but even a little helps when you're picking it up off the ground), and 6-speed of the KLX. Will continue to research over the holidays and make up my mind by the new year; if I decide to sell the DRZ, I'll start stripping off the accessories and advertise it. I do like to tinker and have definitely have fun modding my bikes though I usually try to keep it limited to accessories and carb tweaks (a BB kit would be out of my skillset).

Anyway, lots to read on here for sure. And it sounds like there are some folks on here that are at least my size and larger so I don't think I'd be disappointed with a KLX. Decisions, decisions....

Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

If I was in the market for a new dual sport I would likely go with an XT250. It's a little weaker than a klx250 but the seat height appeals at 31.9", fuel injection, and air cooling.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I love my KLX. I bought a seat concepts seat kit that lowers seat height another inch. They make a standard height seat too. Believe it or not the lower seat concepts seat is more comfortable to me than stock and does not at all hamper me moving around on the bike. Suspension ain't half bad either. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs. I went with stiffer springs front and rear.