So . . . . What Happens After the Big Bore Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Default So . . . . What Happens After the Big Bore Kit?

Brian,

You must have something going on for after the "Big Bore Kit" extravaganza!

When we have a whole bunch of folks sitting here with KLX331's and pumper carbs, what's next?

Well, I was just perusing the net and I found this website. They are claiming a 30 to 40% increase in power with their kit.

Now, if the numbers I came up with are close, I'm hoping to have about 27 to 29 horses avaialble to me on the KLX331. With the NOS, I can get another 40%, or almost 40 horses when "sniffing the silly gas" on the bike. I'll bet rear tire wear is not the best in the world and with that much power the KLX331 might even be a quick little bike. Considering that a KLR650 is about a 36 horsepower bike, weighing 350 pounds, I think it might be a lot of fun!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: So . . . . What Happens After the Big Bore Kit?

What's next you ask?

My plan is to ride this sucker and have a fun! I'm calling it done for the "year 1 mods" and year 2 will be fun fun fun! I'm pretty sure the bike will be just where I want it, so I don't have anything planned for next.

My changes to this point have been pretty basic - bigger displacement, better carburetor, better intake and exhaust. None of these should result in any higher maintenance such as valve wear or anything else so it's not like we'll have compromised that on this bike or anything. I am leaving open the possibility of new cams - maybe the ones you found emphasizing low end torque. I honestly don't spend a lot of time at the high end of the RPM range, most of my riding is the low to mid-range where I want a lot of torque and I think I've built my bike to optimize that area which is where I do most of my riding. So I don't really need to get the absolute most out of it at the high end of the RPMs so I doubt I'll be looking at too much more by way of performance after my "year 1 mods".

But who knows what the future may hold - way back in early spring after I rejetted my carb, opened the airbox up, and drilled the stock pipe I said that was enough and I was done, my bike was running great. I said: "Maaaaaybe next year I miiiiight upgrade to a Muzzy or Big Gun but that's a long ways off." Yeah, right - we all see how that worked out.