Skid plates & personal protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool Skid plates & personal protection

If you have mounted a skid plate what kind & where did you get it? Also interested in getting a "real" pair of dual sport boots & pants. Any likes dislikes, etc. I'm kind a leaning towards the lower type, like above ankle but not mid calf as I don't see myself getting into the aggressive hard hauling that a lot do. If you have protective pants do you where them most or all of the time? I know what is just a matter of time and I'm getting a little freaked in just jeans & over the ankle desert boots. Thanks

Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Scorpion skid plate and rad guards. It's a Canadian company, and with the promo code TT20OFF I used on their website, I got 20% off and free shipping in Canada, but I don't know what the shipping to the US would be.

I wear a fox titan pressure jacket that I would recommend to anyone (only negative is it's REALLY warm in slow/tight trails), crappy old fox boots (junk) and evs rs7 knee braces. The knee braces seem really big and akward when you first put them on, but they're not even noticeable once you're on the bike. I've been thinking about padded or pressure shorts for hip protection, but I have more research to do on that one, first. this paragraph probably wasn't much help to you... hopefully the first one was.

Name:  20120804_155045.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  453.8 KB

Name:  20120801_150317.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  428.7 KB

Name:  20120901_230327.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  359.2 KB

Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the Ricochet skidplate

Utah Sport Cycle
$99.95 Regular Price
Code "852147" for 15% off

Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the Klim pans because they have zippered pockets(plus you don't look like a motocross "star" when you walk in a restaurant or a coffee place on a break)

Old 09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

I have the Utah plate too. I found a good deal on a used pair of aerositch Darien light pants and currently looking for a jacket. I am interested in the pressure suits. My problem is I ride street a lot to get to the dirt. The jacket gets hot in the dirt and looking for a good compromise.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Signature says it. And they are tough!
But for boots, I decided I would finally spend the $$$ and got Sidi Adventure MX style boots. Waterproof (really, from standing in a puddle to rain all day riding) and warm, well made and comfy after break in. They are tough as nails too, ground them between my bike and the side of a trail for 50ft with no damage other than scratches on the buckles. They also have a shin guard on them that deflects some good size stuff w/o feeling more than a dull thud. I wear them everyday to ride back and forth to work. Worth the money. My buddy has a pair that is 10 yo and only look slightly more broken in than mine and are still waterproof.
For pants I always wore jeans or Carhartt's and put Gore-Tex snow pants on for cold or rain. But then a riding buddy gave me a pair of TourMaster Caliber pants, they have armour in the knees and hip sides. They are more of a touring style pant, they go over my clothes and boots, comes with a cold weather liner and are waterproof for about an hour of riding(which gets me to work) or longer, if you remember to stand up and remove the lap pool forming in the crotch.
Don't always wear the pants in the summer(and never off-road), they are warm to hot. But it's nice to be able to go to work wearing shorts. Takes about a minute to remove boots and pants and change into my sneakers.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a guy on here selling a nice Scorpion skid plate for $75 shipped. If I hadn't just bought a used plate for $15 I'd be all over it.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I wear a set of Answer MX boots that I picked up at a deep discount and am darn glad I have them because they have saved my ankles and legs on multiple accounts, but my eyes are set on a pair of Sidi Adventure boots. Also have a set of Sidi Discovery which are waterproof, fit fantastic, but offer no ankle protection. I wear Klim Baja pants and want another set of Klim for cooler & wet weather - can't say enough good about Klim gear. Axo Air Cage pressure suit (okay, not great, good price), and Olympia and Fieldshear jackets (nice).

Moose skid plate (same as Utah, I believe) and Unabiker radiator guards. I'd think if you need a skid plate, you may want some good, taller MX boots.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I got the Ricochet skidplate.
Me too, but I got it from Rocky Moutain MC.

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
... I'd think if you need a skid plate, you may want some good, taller MX boots.
I'll second that. Actually, you probably need MX type boots before you need a skid plate.

As far as my own gear, it's a compilation of stuff I've gathered over the years. Old Thor T-30 boots that are no longer comfortable, but are protective nonetheless. I wear some basic Moose knee guards under Troy Lee MX pants with light hip pads. I've got a Fieldsheer Adventure jacket; it's been discontinued, but it's got good armor (I've tested it thoroughly) and is somewhat water resistant; the only big downside is poor venting and it's dang hot when it's dang hot outside. I prefer MX helmet & goggles over a street or dual sport hybrid helmet (even in rain and winter). I've got other stuff that supplements this for more weather conditions.

I wear this stuff all the time. I commute, but I change at work. Same gear for quick trips to the store. I don't typically ride my bike on occasions that i need to be dressed up. Basically, if i can't get by with wearing my motorcycle gear, i don't ride the bike. In normal circumstances, I don't care if I stick out like a sore thumb because of it. I've hit the ground enough times that I know every ounce of armor is worth it.

I found (the painful way) that the weakest point in my gear lack of protection on the thighs and tail bone. Bohn makes some interesting stuff, and there are other sports that have gear that may work...hockey, soccer, football, etc.

I also have no neck protection. So far, it's just been too expensive to be within my reach.

Last edited by Lutz; 09-24-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Plate:
I have the UTAH bash plate (bought direct from the manufacturer, Ricochet Off-Road). Highly recommended! Moose and others sell this exact same plate under their own name brand.
Boots:
ARC makes some good quality MX boots that are reasonably priced. I got mine for around $90. Someone else noted that if you need the plate, you should wear taller boots. I second that!!! I twisted my ankle pretty bad about a month ago, because I decided to leave my MX boots at home and wear my over-the-ankle hiking boots. The MX boots are stiff enough that they would have prevented that injury. Live and learn (and limp…)
Pants:
I already had a pair of MX pants (in-the-boot style, with removable hip pads.) They are okay… but I just bought a pair of Shift OTB pants, and I absolutely love them!!! Big cargo pockets, leather on the exhaust side leg, tough wind/water proof fabric. They’re the only thing I wear now (well… I do wear clean underwear too, in case I’m in an accident). I’ve been dirt-napping in them, and they hold up well. Same with taking hits from brush and sticks… they protect my legs. They are baggy enough to keep your legs from sweating in hot weather and wind-proof enough to keep them warm in cooler weather. Very nice, and they don’t look too power-ranger like, if you need to stop somewhere populated.

Quick Reply: Skid plates & personal protection