So I watched the sponsored ad and it got me thinking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default So I watched the sponsored ad and it got me thinking...

Because I own a Ducati (which I happened to run into a moose) I couldn't resist the test between cousins - the Ferrari (always wanted the Magnum PI car) and the Ducati. I was pretty sure the bike would win, it did.
Man I miss the sound of that engine when I'm on the KLX sometimes(I often can't hear the KLX). The Duc always sounded like a can with rocks in it at idle, almost like it would sh*! the bed right then and there, but give her some go juice...and the most beautiful sound I've ever heard an engine make comes roaring out of the pipes, letting you know that a noisy engine, really is a happy engine.
She still lives, has a lot of scrapes and some moose hair still sticking out of some cracked fiberglass and still goes like a raped ape. My dog Max still licks it every chance he gets, he's part hound and it must still smell(2 yrs later). Needs some stuff to pass inspection - mirror and turn signal lens.

The Ducati 900 SS of the mid-90's was one of the bikes in my must own list. Now I do, and always will(mine happens to be a '96 SS SP #B341 with all the cool CF parts). I will be the 70yo guy at the vintage races with a grin from ear to ear and riding the **** out of that bike.

So what bikes are on your list?

I have the Duc, but other bikes for me include - BMW airhead from the year of my birth (just 'cause), a HD knucklehead WWII looking thing or a flat tracker, a bike with a sidecar, possibly a Ural 2wd, and a bad *** little DS bike(the KLX is getting there, it will be, with some more displacement).

Recently a friend reminded me of the bike equation when I said I had too many bikes. He said the number of bikes you can have, before you have a problem = N+1, where N = the number of bikes you currently own. So I'm good, just need a huge damn garage!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Hit a moose? Dang!

After many years of hiatus and having no bike, I told myself I'd get ONE and that would be good. Two years later I have three. The KLX351, a KLR650, and an XR250.

I'm in with the n+1 arithmetic.

My first bike was a Suzuki GT380. Fun bike and a good starter for me. That poor thing is now all crushed up somewhere . I'd like to add a GT750 (water buffalo) to the stable for my 'vintage' ride. I had a thing for the Honda V65 Magna and if one came around I'd have to think hard about it. And although the KLR isn't bad, a bigger badder dual sport often has me thinking ... KTM 990 Adventure, Yamaha Tenure, or BMW GSA. One has to dream.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Here are the top 10 that randomly occur to me:

- BMW R75/5: I have one from the year of my birth and it's one of the most fun bikes I have ever owned.

- Honda NT647gt: I used to ride it a lot in the mountains with a friend who had a Duc 900ss and I was amazed at how well it would keep up despite a 250cc handicap.

- Honda VFR 800 v-tec: one of the nicest motorcycle engines ever made with a symphony of baritone v-four & soprano gear whine.

- Buell XB or XR: a hybrid of high & low tech with a totally unique character unavailable in any other bike.

- KTM RC8: I don't have one but one of one of my riding buddies does. It's high strung, high reving, and loves to carve.

- Triumph Speed Triple: beautiful inline 3 offering the best of both a twin and an inline 4.

- Kawasaki ZX6r: revs to almost 17,000 rpm & screams like a table saw. I am forever upshifting it too early then realizing I had 5,000 more until redline!

- Honda CBR1000r: is it possible for a bike to be perfect?

- Honda CBX: not particularly rideable, but the sound from that inline 6 is an unreal eargasm!

- BMW GX 450: I don't have one, but a ridding buddy does. Who knew that a street legal dual sport could be so competent off-road?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I havent been around motorcycles long enough to have a list. Instead of a specific model i would like bikes for a specific purpose. I have the street legal dirt bike, KLX351, i have the fire road/ adv/long distance dirt bike KLR650. I would like a long distance street bike and a everyday street bike. Im really liking the 2013 honda CB1100

So i dont know, i like the kawasaki voyager, its real nice. I cant own a sport bike i will kill myself, i love how they sound and look. But me and things that go fast are dangerous to my well being, seriously. Ill always have a small dual sport, hopefully a big one too. I use my KLR as a street bike also, its my daily bike. It would be nice to have a street bike though. Someday. I am in too much debt for that anytime soon.

You guys see the new Goldwing F6B?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

That Wing looks like it's targeted at the full dresser HD crowd, I almost like it. The CB has that look that says motorcycle to me and is probably wicked fast.

And yeah, the moose thing really sucked.
She and I realized at the same moment we were gonna meet, she stopped and I needed 10 more feet. Pulled my first and only stoppie right as I slammed into her ***. Me and the bike then deflected off and around behind her, then slammed to the ground. As I was sliding on my head I was screaming NO, because I was getting the grounds eye view, of one of the most beautiful bikes ever(to me) go sliding down the road. Oh well. She's no garage queen now. Now I ride it like it's just the best machine I can get on and am not so worried about the shine. Thinking about tracking it, but that is some coin heavy hobby, so I might have to wait until I marry a rich girl.

The moose population is why I want more light on the bike, forest donkeys are dumb and unpredictable.

Last edited by MaximusPrime; 11-16-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: cause I can
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The CB has that look that says motorcycle to me and is probably wicked fast.
I had an '80 CB750 and it was pretty damn fast. I could keep up with my buddy on his 750 mid 90's sport bike. I couldnt imagine it being a 1100. Some are predicting another model.... CB1100F

Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I am weird, I like the odd ball machines.
My list is:
Sachs Madass 125. Moto-Scoot - Sachs MadAss 125
Zero FX, electric bike. The 2013’s make 44HP and 70 FT-LB. Zero Motorcycles 2013 Electric Motorcycle Line
Christini AWD Christini Technologies, Inc. - World Premiere AWD Motorcycles
Mid 80’s Honda NIghtHawk.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Like my old one?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

@cmott: the Zero FX is very interesting. I test rode one on a demo day and it had very good torque but not enough range to be practical for me.
It also lacked the visceral feel of an internal combustion engine.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Like my old one?
CB700S, smooth! I always thought those were a very nice bike. I rode one once a long time ago.

I've had my share of bikes over the years from dirt to dual sport to street but never owned a Ducati. The 1100 Monster catches my eye, and yes there is something about that L-twin sound.

Quick Reply: So I watched the sponsored ad and it got me thinking...