A ride report from Bike week 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default A ride report from Bike week 2009

Well, its taken me a lot longer to write this one then normal.

Here goes

Bike Week 2009, or Rain Week 2009, or a not so dualsport week

This might be a litttle long winded, but it was a long week.

Bike week in Laconia is still one of my favorite vacations. Its very different ear to year. It use to be hardcore bikers, and the sole purpose of the week was a rally, races and partying, sometimes not exactly in that order. :-) The crowd was rowdy at "The Weirs" and the general attitude was for everyone to have a good time. Sure there use to be some holligan-ism, but WTF, its bike week. T*tties an Beer. Since a big part of it is cruising, there was always a parade of bikes. And lots of chicks on bikes enjoyinteracting with the crowd of partiers. Well 10 or 15 years ago the crowd started to change. In come the "new" harley guys. Money, attitudes and families in tow. Now the PD had to get involved big time, crack down on all the interactions with the crowds, keep traffic moving ( guys on Harleys can apprecitate that). So its different around there now except for one thing. Everyone is still partying. Big Time. They just aint going as many places, and are not stopped in traffic as much, so there is even less interaction with the crowds :-( I suppose it was inevitable, but does the Police Helicopter have to make so many passes over the area, for so many hours, I mean really, there must be over 2500 active PD on the roads !!

So we still go every year, spending less time at the parade of bikes, more time camping, relaxing, and partying. I hadnt had a bike for over 10 years, but still went to bike week

Me an a few buds have managed to keep going year after year since 1987. There use to be a group of 10 or so every year, now it has tapered off to just 3 of us. We have a good time, but I have the dual sport, my buddy Davey has a Soft tail, My other buddy doesnt ride anymore( to many pins in his leg from the last wreck), and my wingman with the klr 650 showed up on his Vulcan 1600. So I was a bit of an outcast, but so what. I had as much fun as them, or even more as you'll see.

I will try to break this down on a day by day recollection, although with the amount of memory I lack, ( I blame the tequilla) we will see how this goes.

Sunday 14-june-09

Sunday Morning arrives and we are loaded to go, I have the KLX in the back of his pickup,
and he brings his trailer with all the gear.

Of course as soon as we get in New Hampshire the rain starts. Oh great, this is the way to start the vacation. Of course a quick peek of the weather report informs us, get use to it, its gonna be a crappy week. Blah. So we set up camp and procedded to participate in a margarita making contest. Beyond that, well, I hear it was a good day, regardless the weather.

It kinda looked like this all day

Name:  DSCN1227.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  116.0 KB

Monday 15June-09

Monday we awoke with great intentions of enjoying every minute of bike week 2009. But the f*kin weather had better ideas. It was pouring out.
Name:  DSCN1233.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  102.9 KB

Thats never much of a way to start the day. So we had a simple breakfast, and I decided to catch up on some snoozes. Ahh, this vacation stuff aint so bad. Bout 2pm-ish I looked outside and noticed the crappy weather had lightened up a bit, and I need a run up to the liquor store for more “supplies”.

First things first was a run down to Tilton for some Hi-test coffee at Starbucks. From there I decided to poke around a bit, see what was going on around here, after all, its Bike Week.
Imagine that, no one was out and about. Whatta-ya ascared of a little rain? Ha-Ha I found some dirt roads over near Hermit Lake, and decided to start on the beach

Name:  DSCN1235.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  138.4 KB
From the beach I started up into the woods, heading up to check out Ladd Mountain, and try to find my way over to Leavitt Mountain, then cross over to Saddle Hill

Name:  DSCN1241.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  153.6 KB
Its all protected woods, so finding access is a real challenge. This seems to be a theme around there, very little access for motorized stuff. I stayed on the dirt roads and just tried to keep my MoJo on, the rain started getting heavy, so I packed it in, and headed back to camp
MMM, Jeigermeister !! Yup, thats how we finish off a rainy Monday.

Tuesday 16-June-09

Look at That. Its the sun !! SHHWWEETT !! I'm going riding today !!

Name:  DSCN1247.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  118.2 KB

I packed up for a day ride, made sure I had my GPS, Camera, extra batteries, my spare tube, mini air compressor, plenty of Tic Tacs, and a full belly. I went north-northwest abit, heading up towards the White Mountain National Forest. I figured I could find some fun riding in there. I was mapless, all I had was the GPS with me, should be enough. Should be.
First trail I went up,

Name:  DSCN1251.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  194.0 KB

Same thing, “protected” forests. WTF? What about me?
Down the road some more, till I saw a trail, zipped up and started thinkin, Ohyea, who's better then ME ?

Name:  DSCN1254.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  224.1 KB

WTF OVER ???

Name:  DSCN1255.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  180.6 KB
Ok, keep on looking, There has to b e some fun around here somewhere. Maybe I need to slow down a bit, relax a little, and just enjoy the ride.

The scenery is pretty scenic around here, no doubt

Name:  DSCN1258.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB

NICE, just what I was looking for !!

Name:  DSCN1263.jpg
Size:  58.6 KB
AAAAA ?? Oh wait, that don't mean me. Phew !!

Name:  DSCN1262.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  110.8 KB

I can do this, but it sure looks like fresh grading on there. In fact it IS freshly graded. like maybe 20 minutes ago. Its loose, super loose. Thats OK, shift down, relax and enjoy the ride.

Name:  DSCN1267.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  182.5 KB

Nice place to stop and relax a bit, have a snack, check the GPS, and relax a bit more. ( I know I keep repeating myself there, but relaxing isnt something I do well, I am always going a million miles an hour, and have to actually keep reminding my self to slow down and smell the coffee)

Name:  DSCN1265.jpg
Size:  206.5 KB

Ok, have a couple Scooby Snacks, think about stickin my feet in the water and then remembers that sh*t is c-c-cold. Yea, OK, time to get movin along. ( Dont gotta go home, but ya cant stay here )

A few more miles up into the mountains on the loose gravel and I am getting my groove on now. This is just what I needed.
Hey, look, more power lines. I know how to ride them. But should I ? The riding is pretty dam good now, maybe just stop and have a look see

Name:  DSCN1270.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  135.4 KB

Nah, after a quick peek at the GPS, it occurs to me that them power lines are pretty bad a$$, might just be a good idea to stay on the roads

Name:  DSCN1272.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  98.7 KB

I think I made the right choice,

Name:  DSCN1281.jpg
Size:  162.2 KB

I continued on for a good while, poking along, thinking, ya know, this whole relaxing thing aint so bad, maybe I need some espresso to pick me up a bit !!
Ok, so there aint exactly any Baristas out here, but It cant hurt to wish,

Name:  DSCN1286.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  202.4 KB

Looking down at the miles, we are on 50 miles, and I know we are close to reserve. Time to go find civilization. I went and filled up the little tank, looked at the coffee, decided it musta been there for a week or so, maybe I would pass on it this time. Head back around, see whats out there on the other side of the hills

Up there in them there hills is were I just was. Pretty nice, if I do say so myself. So

Name:  DSCN1298.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  83.2 KB

Of course we had to cross the river , what better then an old New England style covered bridge

Name:  DSCN1307.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  165.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1309.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  162.0 KB

Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Once I got over the river, I headed up the first dirt road I found, back into the mountains. Good stuff, found a trail off towards the North, decided to have a look see.

Name:  DSCN1318.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  204.5 KB

I quickly deteriorated into a dry river bed, hhmm, me thinks me stay away from snotty trails like this that disappear on the GPS

Name:  DSCN1322.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  186.3 KB

Better off going to see what else is out here

Look, the FREAKIN GATE IS OPEN !! WHOA, you know I'm goin in !!

Name:  DSCN1324.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  230.6 KB

This is looking good in here, nice easy track, beautiful day, steady pace, I think I'm enjoying myself again.

Name:  DSCN1327.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  202.3 KB

Stay Legal, Stay Dry. Me thinks thats a wunnerful idea !!

Name:  DSCN1329.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  92.5 KB

Just what I was looking for

Name:  DSCN1331.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  248.8 KB

Better hold my breath crossing this one !!

Name:  DSCN1333.jpg
Size:  189.7 KB

Actually, maybe its a good idea to walk out here and have a look.

Name:  DSCN1340.jpg
Size:  193.3 KB

YIKES, what came first, the knobby tire tracks, or the paw tracks

Name:  DSCN1346.jpg
Size:  172.8 KB

Yup, color me the fork outta here, lets see whats over them hills

Perfect, sweet trails through here

Name:  DSCN1348.jpg
Size:  184.5 KB

Hhmm, not to much traffic been through here

Name:  DSCN1350.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  230.2 KB

Super good riding in here, really fun

Name:  DSCN1353.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  196.2 KB

Guess there hasnt been to many riders in here, whats up with that? All the awesome trails to ride, and by the looks, no one has been in here lately. BTW, where IS the trail

OK, there it is, I think

Name:  DSCN1355.jpg
Size:  233.2 KB

What was that I said about not riding on trails that dont show up on the GPS ? Yea, well, scratch that idea

It looks like a snowmobile trail for the winter, thats ok, gotta go somewhere, right

Name:  DSCN1358.jpg
Size:  231.8 KB

Oh sure, it goes somewhere alright, right into a big god-dam mud hole. It wasnt as bad as I expected, but I wasnt expecting it, glad I was up on the pegs. I got a hand full of throttle and dug my way through it

Name:  DSCN1364.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  248.4 KB

Thats what its all about.

Name:  DSCN1361.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  229.4 KB

Everything was just perfect out here. Sun was shining, trails were awesome, the sound of nature was very relaxing. I think I like it Mikey !!

Name:  DSCN1365.jpg
Size:  233.0 KB

This was the end of one trail I was just on,

Name:  DSCN1366.jpg
Size:  254.1 KB

Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahead it looked a bit more civilized. A bit

Name:  DSCN1367.jpg
Size:  242.0 KB

Perfect trails for a little dual sport

Name:  DSCN1372.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  205.4 KB

Or so I thought. Then I came around a corner, and WTF ???

Name:  DSCN1380.jpg
Size:  156.5 KB

I am not sure who was more surprised to see who. I was stunned, a dude on a V-twin cruiser. He stopped at a gate and was about as white as a ghost.

Name:  DSCN1374.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  160.0 KB

I was incredulous. DUDE, WTF are you doing out here??? He was wondering the same thing. Apparently class 4 roads show up on his Zumo, and was routing him the scenic route. WTF ??

Name:  DSCN1375.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  148.1 KB

Scenic it was. I asked him how the riding was. He wasnt having much fun lets say. He wanted outta there. i opened the gate for him, he asked me to stay with him till we reached civilization, so I agreed to follow him out. At about 8 miles per hour, chuckling the whole way. I never did ask why he didnt just turn around, guess he was a bit adventerous.

Name:  DSCN1379.jpg
Size:  103.8 KB

That was the days ride. Not bad, not to bad at all

Name:  day3bikeweek09.png
Views: 59
Size:  866.5 KB

Got back to camp, rested up, ate some dinner, decided to go see what the night life was like at the bar across route 3.

Name:  day3bikeweek09.png
Views: 59
Size:  866.5 KB

Oh yea, the close line wasnt to full. Yet

Name:  DSCN1396.jpg
Size:  16.4 KB

Yup, all the good girls are on there best behavior

Name:  DSCN1404.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  71.3 KB

The band was great, but there were not to many dancers out there. Musta all been over at the bar watching her

Name:  DSCN1412.jpg
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1399.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB

Not sure if this was art, or just someone with 2 much time on there hands

Name:  DSCN1425.jpg
Size:  141.3 KB

Yup, cops always love a big bust

Name:  DSCN1426.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  86.0 KB

Wednesday 17-June-09
Next day was Wednesday. According to the weather, it was going tobe warm and sunny today, with crappy weather heading back in for the rest of the week. After yesterdays ride, I spent considerable time thinking about my adventure ( what else do you do when your sitting on the throne? ) I realized I probably was a little out of my league yesterday. Between the class 4 unmaintained roads, to the mub bog I think I might have taken things a bit to far for a solo rider. I am not 16 years old anymore. I am old, fat, and (probably ugly). I could have gotten into a bad situation out there alone. I had no cell service, no weapon with me, no maps, and I have only been riding off road for a year now. Not that I am asacred, just maybe I should be riding with someone when I am doing those kinds of adventures. So I decided today would be a bit more “mild” as far as route planning for a solo ride.

Might as well start the day off with a full belly

Name:  DSCN1430.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB

Dam, thats a good looking bike, eh?

Name:  DSCN1432.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  121.8 KB

Gots to get me some money honey. Gonna be a good ride today !!

Name:  DSCN1433.jpg
Size:  62.4 KB

A nice view of Meredith harbor on Lake Winnipesaukee

Name:  DSCN1434.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  85.1 KB

Following Route 25 North, heading for those mountains out there

Name:  DSCN1437.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  66.3 KB

I headed up Rt 16 now, into old North Conway.
A nice place to visit, ( if you like touristy family locations) but I had little time for that.

Name:  DSCN1442.jpg
Size:  104.5 KB

Attached Images
File Type: png
day3bikeweek09.png (866.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Hhmm, this looks like the perfect destination

Name:  DSCN1445.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  70.5 KB

A-YUP, the Auto road, up Mount Washington. The highest point in New England

Name:  DSCN1452.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  72.9 KB

$14 freakin dollars to ride up the hill?? No thanks, way to much for a scenic view. WTF. OK, maybe, after all its 70 miles from the campground. Cant just turn around and ride back, can I? Fuhgetaboutit, Its “only”money. Im goin in !!

Hope I dont get stuck behind a few cruiser snoozers on there chrome and leather stead. But, it Figures, I was. Rules said no passing, but c'mon, 15 mph up the mountain?? I had no interest in sight seeing on the ride up, I wanted to carve it up a bit, so within the first mile I was past them. Sorry dudes and dude-etts, see ya at the top !!
Whatta view. Its been 17 years since I rode up here. I forgot how cool it was.The road is really a mind-fuhk. Its like hitting a golf ball over water, you know its no big deal, but your mind plays tricks on ya. The auto road has no guard rails, and a lot of open air switch backs that just make you approach each corner carefully, It was a real Hoot. I never did see the guys I passed up there.

Name:  DSCN1460.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1463.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1464.jpg
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1466.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

This doesnt look to promising

Name:  DSCN1467.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Yea, thanks but no thanks, cog railroads are an abnormality these days, eh?

Name:  DSCN1476.jpg
Size:  179.4 KB

A view of the “presidential” range

Name:  DSCN1481.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB

Fer cryin out loud !! Whatta ya think we are in NYC. You dont have to chain down the houses, aint no-body gonna steal it!! Geeezzz

Name:  DSCN1492.jpg
Size:  101.5 KB

Look at that ole dude, chillin and thrillin, for sure !!

Name:  DSCN1496.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  89.8 KB

Like I said, the road just plays with your mind, makes you think about the approach. I was heading back to reality now.

Name:  DSCN1499.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  86.7 KB

Still snow on the northside of the mountain. Its mid-June

Name:  DSCN1501.jpg
Size:  79.1 KB

Time for a break

Name:  DSCN1505.jpg
Size:  87.1 KB

Yea, after looking around a bit, I see why some people are uneasy on the mountain road.

Name:  DSCN1508.jpg
Size:  133.0 KB

I came around the corner, and there was a little brown bear in the road !! holy-WTF !! By the time I got stopped a safe (?) distance and got the camera out and the auto focus focusing, this was all I saw. Bummer. Actually the disrupted branches are still moving, and upon closer inspection, I think I see the blur of it moving back there, but for troubles sake, we will go with its just a big ole picture of nothing. BLAH.

Name:  DSCN1513.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  173.3 KB

øh well, time to get scadadlin back to camp, someone mentioned there was gonna be margaritas waiting. !!
But this was odd, down at the base of Wildcat shi areas was a US Army Chopper. With a red cross on it. Not something you see in these parts unless. Yes, unless some dude was lost in the mountains. Car was found in the parking lot of the Falls, no site of him in 3 days. Bummer. Big time. As I rolled by I noticed it was getting started up, so I stopped and did the ole-rubber-neck tourist thing. Ya, call me a kid, flight still amazes me in a simple kinda way. Plus its cool to watch the full start up procedure. Its not as simple as start it up and go.
Here the crew is out using remotes to assist the start up

Name:  DSCN1515.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  114.2 KB

Now the crew is secured in and getting the rotors up to speed

Name:  DSCN1522.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  113.1 KB

Then it was a white out

Name:  DSCN1523.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  59.4 KB

Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Fahkan a , its awesome !!

Yea, I was thinkin it was cool also :-)

Name:  DSCN1525.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB

On the ride back I stopped in the same spot. One thing I love about the mountains is how dynamic they appear to be. Never look the same during the day, the view at 9 am is so different from 6 pm, or vice versa. Awesome stuff

Name:  DSCN1532.jpg
Size:  97.6 KB
had to stop in Ossipee for some good-azz Bar-B-Q. Funny thing, no one wanted to park next to me. . .

Name:  DSCN1542.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  119.2 KB

Back just before Dark. And yes, there was a margarita waiting for me. !!

Name:  DSCN1544.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB

Thats a good day of riding on the little KLX.

Name:  DSCN1546.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB

The long view of the days ride

Name:  day4bikeweek09.png
Size:  48.6 KB

And the closer view up the mountain

Name:  day4bikeweek09topofthemountain.png
Views: 93
Size:  156.6 KB

couple of margaritas to wash down the Advil, I was snoozing good !!

Thursday 18-June-09

Oh look, Happy frickin rainy Birthday.

Name:  DSCN1550.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  147.5 KB

Well, its Thursday morning already, vacations more done then not done now. That bites. And its raining. And yesterdays ride is still lingering a bit. A quick check of the radar, doesnt look good at all. Its cold and damp, not much fun at all. Might be a good day to rest and try to catch up on some of that relaxing I been meaning to do.
I did have to make a run up to the liquor store, and a few other non essential supplies.

Name:  DSCN1558.jpg
Size:  162.9 KB

It was only kinda drizzling then, so I knew I saw a road that looked like it went over the little mountains over there.

Name:  DSCN1561.jpg
Size:  71.2 KB

I had to go see what was up there. The rain started to pick up again, and I just wasnt to enthusiastic about it, but I wanted to see what was over there. The road was pretty freshly mudded up and real squirmy to ride. I only snapped a couple pictures on the way over

Name:  DSCN1566.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  143.2 KB

Ahhh, “nothing to see here folks, keep it moving”

Name:  DSCN1564.jpg
Size:  78.1 KB

Put it away for the day then

Name:  DSCN1567.jpg
Size:  109.3 KB

Thats a lousy day of riding. Yea, I said it. !!

Name:  day5bikeweek09.png
Size:  124.6 KB

Well, if its my birthday, I might as well head over to the Looney Bin, nothing like a few hours at the bar to get you in the mood to celerbrate, eh?

Name:  DSCN1572.jpg
Size:  92.5 KB

Silly old hippies. !!

Name:  DSCN1581.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  83.0 KB

Ok, maybe it is :sweet: !!

Name:  DSCN1583.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  97.4 KB

Hey look, Dave and Mike made it up, now were gonna have some fun. These 2 guys just starting there vacation

Name:  DSCN1585.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  47.9 KB

And that pretty much put an end to that evenings festivities folks! 1 was a bit to celebrated to do any more steady picture taking, and the double shots were starting to flow. Toodles !! ( rumors abound of pictures of certain birthday celebrants in assorted compromising activities. sadly non have surfaced yet )

Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Friday 19-June-09

Friday we awoke to another crappy day. Weather wasnt looking good for the day, and the previous evening of excitement had taken its toll, welcome to up at the crack of noon day ! Oddly enough no one wanted to ride today, grey and gllomy, constant threat of rain, it just made us all wanna sit around and eat and shoot the bull. we had to go to the supermarket, the packy, and a couple of errands, that was it. We did take a loop around, but got caught twice in showers so we didnt dawddle or take any pictures. Besides, Mike was cooking ribs all day, and it was just enough memories of last years meal to get our butts back to camp. Day over

If you look closely, there is a KLX lurking behind the snoozer cruiser.

Name:  DSCN1591.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  day6bikeweek09.png
Views: 40
Size:  841.1 KB

Now after dinner on friday night, there was the usual campground activities, barn fires, burnout contests, and of course, my personal favorite, the hot body contest. I had encouraged the campground manager to name me the MC, but he felt his drab, lackluster boring approach suited the needs of the event. ( he thought I wanted to get paid)
So Lucky for me I arrive early and take up some space front and center, however, due to Mr. Moderators opine varies from mine, we will only allow a more family rated versions.

As you can see, the contestants were enjoying the attention

Name:  DSCN1596.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  49.9 KB

They seem to like the various suggestions the crowd randomly called out

The winner got to ride on my H. D. but maybe that was all a dream, the last thing I remember was the round of shots being poured

Name:  DSCN1625.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  95.1 KB

Saturday 20-June-09

Oh boy, Saturday. That usually means everyone is here now. Its the biggest traffic day of the event, and it sure seems like half of New England is here. The weather was on again-off again. Well, that was what a native of New Hampsha called it.

Name:  DSCN1626.jpg
Size:  94.3 KB

I think that means its sunny, then is aint, then it is, then it isnt, again
It appears after last nights celerbration, the troops are running on slow this morning, maybe we need some coffee and breakfast. We decided since it was our last day here, we would ride up to the Kancamagus Highway that runs from North Conway area over to Linclon, NH

Name:  DSCN1628.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  129.9 KB

So we fueled up on Bacon and eggs and lots of coffee, and hit the road again. It was kinda grey and looking like rain as we headed up towards Conway, just grey and cloudy enough to force you to keep one eye on the clouds, and 2 on the road. Awkward, yea, but ya do whatch ya gots to do, eh?
Nice riding over there, I noticed the roads were not as full as I expected, I figure the threat of rain keeps a lot of the cruisers under wraps.

You can see the KLX cant still cant hide.

Name:  DSCN1632.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  106.2 KB

A scenic view at a scenic overlook, imagine that

Name:  DSCN1634.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  95.0 KB

No doubt what bike I like taking pictures of.

Name:  DSCN1635.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  120.3 KB

I must admit, the weather did not look good, and Davey hates the thought of His Harley getting wet. I mean just can not even imagine it can happen, so he kinda kept us moving along. A little bit of fatigue was setting in, and my desire to continue taking pictures was about done.
We keep moving along. I was surprised we saw PD set up with radar in 3 different places. They didnt look happy, because they didnt have anyone pulled over. It appears everyone was behaving today. Odd,huh?
The views really make the ride worthwile

Name:  DSCN1637.jpg
Size:  55.4 KB

Dvey didnt let us linger to much on the ride, and with a dead battery, I didnt insist for picture taking. We had an enjoyableride, never went faster the 63 mph ( gps proven ) and enjoyed every minute of it.

Name:  day7bikeweek09.png
Views: 39
Size:  551.9 KB

Here is the close view of the Kank, its a neat ride, no doubt

Name:  closeofkank.png
Views: 47
Size:  677.0 KB

We still had saturday night to enjoy, what better to do then head down to “The Weirs”, which is Lakeside Boulevard that runs along the lakes southeast section. Year after year this area gets jammed up with people and vendors and bikes, and partygoers.
What better way to avoid the traffic then to take the short bus. No hockey helmets required.

Name:  DSCN1653.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  83.3 KB

This was the entertainmant on the short bus, rest assured brains was not one of the qualifications needed for this job.

Name:  DSCN1663.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  76.2 KB

It beats walking, thats for sure. And naturally, that allows us to partake in one last evening of festive festivities, with no worries of driving back to camp.

Here is what you see as you approach the drive in area

Name:  DSCN1665.jpg
Size:  96.2 KB

Everyone wants to be noticed. Some approach it differently

Name:  DSCN1673.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  124.9 KB

I had to stop into this vendor booth, just to see if anyone actually was.

Name:  DSCN1675.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  116.2 KB

Hey LOOK, another dual sport. That means at least 2 of us amongst the 25,000 Harley's. Not so good odds if a scuffle broke out.

Name:  DSCN1676.jpg
Size:  117.3 KB

A long distant cruiser?

Name:  DSCN1679.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  181.7 KB

Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Might as well visit the M/V Mt. Washington for a few cold adult beverages

Name:  DSCN1682.jpg
Size:  94.4 KB

Its a dreary day on the lake

Name:  DSCN1684.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  54.5 KB

For most of us its not a day to play on the water, but some folks cant keep away

Name:  DSCN1687.jpg
Size:  98.2 KB

Oh yea, always a few of these guys around

Name:  DSCN1691.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  83.9 KB

Meet Not Dave, Dave, Dave and Dave

Name:  DSCN1701.jpg
Size:  98.6 KB

These guys are always looking to be of assistance out there.

Name:  DSCN1708.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  65.5 KB

After a few to many on the boat, we needed to get back on solid ground. Time to find our way back to the short bus for a trip up the hill and back to camp.
Woo-Hoo, look-at-dat, Another dual sport, thats like 3 of us know, my confidence is climbing. . .

Name:  DSCN1735.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  83.2 KB

Ummmm, OK, whatever duuuude

Name:  DSCN1742.jpg
Size:  109.1 KB

Yea, this is the place you see everything.

Name:  DSCN1745.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  99.4 KB

This was the entertainment on the short bus for the ride back up the hill. Many guesses were tried to see which had the higher IQ. Jury is still out. . . .

Everyone seemed to be in a good mood !!

Must be the place.

Name:  DSCN1776.jpg
Size:  68.5 KB

Well, this just about concludes our week long adventure. We came, we saw, we had a good time. I put over 600 miles on the KLX. I realized there is no comfortable position on that seat, but so what. I had a great time playing around on it. My mpg average was in the mid 50's, and my smile-per-mile average was off the charts.

We spent saturday night wishing the week was just starting, but knew that we had just about enough fun to last until next year.

While the fire lights aglow, strange shadows from the flames will grow, until thing we've never seen, will seem familiar

Sunday 21-June-09

Time to go. Lets pack up and get out of here. Amazingly enough, its still grey and crappy out. Thats a grand total of 2 days out of 8 that were nice and sunny.

And thats it, we are packed up and going home.

Name:  DSCN1797.jpg
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  meonthemountain.png
Views: 31
Size:  352.5 KB

Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Entertaining thread...well written with good pics ... two thumbs up.

btw, nice adv salute pic in the mirror while riding.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

That was great. makes me want to go out and get KLX. I liked your break time. thx for sharing.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice job, 42. I must say, that's the most photos I think anyone has ever posted in a single ride report. Nice story to go along with it, too bad about the weather, but what can you do? Looks like you made the best of it and still had a great time.

Quick Reply: A ride report from Bike week 2009