Replacing clutch perch and control switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Replacing clutch perch and control switch

I realize thereīs a pin under the clutch perch thatīs supposed to check clutch position to start the bike, I believe...right? I want to replace the perch and I am wondering what I have to do with that wire and how to close the circuit.

Another question is if any of you replaced the control switches - lights/horn and start/kill - with smaller (narrower) ones.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess the best way to learn is to fiddle with it. Found out that if the wire for the starter lockout switch is disconnected, the bike wonīt start unless itīs in neutral. I can live with that.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

is that what it is suppose to do?...i broke that pin a long time ago...didn't know what it was for...no problems with my moto...

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

i guess since i broke the pin..the bike can now start and jump if i start it without the clutch when not in neutral....right?...

Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
i guess since i broke the pin..the bike can now start and jump if i start it without the clutch when not in neutral....right?...
Nope, it wonīt start unless itīs in neutral. If itīs in gear, with clutch in or out, the starter wonīt run. Itīs a "****-I-forgot" fail safe.

I have my eyes on this clutch perch:

http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/

Last edited by Malves; 06-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I bypassed that clutch switch, either by opening or closing the circuit, don't remember. So yes, my bike will start, or at least try to, in any gear with the clutch in or out. For my locations of riding, this is safer. Kill on a steep hill, can't get feet off the ground safely to get to neutral, pull the clutch and start her up.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I bypassed that clutch switch, either by opening or closing the circuit, don't remember. So yes, my bike will start, or at least try to, in any gear with the clutch in or out. For my locations of riding, this is safer. Kill on a steep hill, can't get feet off the ground safely to get to neutral, pull the clutch and start her up.
Hmmm...maybe because I just disconnected the wire for testing, mine will behave different? Because the starter won't run until I put it in neutral. Could it be the EFI, too?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

was thinking..if i broke off the pin, the moto always thinks i have the clutch lever in...wouldn't that mean the starter will always work in any gear regardless of clutch?...will have to test later...

just tested it...my guess was correct...the starter works no matter if i'm in gear or neutral with the pin broken off...becasue without the pin, it always thinks the clutch is pulled in...

Last edited by ahnh666; 06-02-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Scott, maybe I'm misreading your statement here. You bypassed the clutch switch, and I understand that. But even with the switch still operational, mine will start in any gear as long as I pull the clutch in. Now...and this can be very preferential...but I've always kept the clutch switch on bikes so equipped. On a bike that didn't have the switch, I've been in that stalled bike on the edge of a cliff scenario you mention and punched the electric start thinking I had the bike in neutral...but didn't. I've nearly tumbled off the ledge or was just annoyingly delayed or such. I've also had the bike sitting on the sidestand and thinking it was in neutral...punch the button...ooops...grab motorcycle before it hits the ground...usually. Now, I don't consider myself too much of a putz around my own bike, but I like the clutch switch. People are different, though.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC,

That's how mine works with the switch connected.
I have a SF and don't ride off road. It doesn't matter much in my case.

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch perch and control switch