run the KLX with no mods?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default run the KLX with no mods?

I picked up a KLX250s with only 400 miles on it and now have about 800. The more I drive it, the more I think I'm not going to touch the engine, leave it "corked". Off road, it seems so capable; on the road, I did 97mph!

Am I missing something wonderful if I don't address air, carb, pipe and smog?

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure, more power is available for work and money, but if it does what you need and you're happy, why mess with it?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well Anthony - Yes, you are missing something wonderful.

The $225 to $350 and 2 hours labor you spend to get a slipon (or full KLX300R exhaust) + a DynoJet kit (or N1TC needle, DJ slide spring, K152 main jet) adds so much more power that it's like getting a whole new motorcycle.

But if you like what you have and you don't want to do the above, then just enjoy..

Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Good gosh, Man!...not mod the KLX? Are you mad?

But seriously, one should mod or not mod according to one's desires and needs. This is an enthusiast forum which "usually" involves some level of modding to some degree...not a requirement obviously.

Now, I'd probably challenge the issue that your completely stock KLX achieved an actual 97mph...unless it was attached via tow rope to a car. This doesn't mean that your speedo couldn't have displayed that speed. It's just that it's nearly physically/mechanically impossible for a stock...and maybe even a heavily modded...KLX to achieve that speed in most real world situations.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Mod it when you get bored with what you have. You've only put 400 miles on it. Trust me, you'll get the itch.

One thing that makes the KLX good is there's so much more easily accessible power.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on your new bike. 97 huh...must of had a hell of a tail wind in a full tuck.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I haven't modded mine.

Although it's up for sale

Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Carb jetting mods are near a must, if for no other reason than to get easy starting and smooth out the power delivery. Have it done when the valves are adjusted. Well worth it. Mine is stock with the MCM, which isn't a must do, and the cheap mods carb changes listed in the Cheap Mods articles collected and linked in my signature. Less than $100, not counting the Dial-A-Jet that I use, best money spent on the bike. The bike starts near instantly when cold with full choke. Ride away in 15 seconds, choke off within 1/2 mile. Try that with a stock bike. If it does it, it ain't stock.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Appreciate the replies, various opinions. I'm a very experienced rider so more power is always desired, but it's so dependable in stock form, and I never expected much power to begin with. But if it's substantial and just waiting to be uncorked… well then, maybe.

Mine starts so easy, enricher off within 5-10 seconds, no lie. As for 97mph; this morning, I did 94mph before shutting it down. I'm only 150 lbs btw. Too fast to ride like that though.

I'm doing other mods, but stuff like hand guards, rear rack, cut rear fender, etc. I even trimmed all the OEM stickers, less busy. I'm looking for an engine guard now, not too many choices out there, was hoping for a tube type.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
Appreciate the replies, various opinions. I'm a very experienced rider so more power is always desired, but it's so dependable in stock form, and I never expected much power to begin with. But if it's substantial and just waiting to be uncorked… well then, maybe.

Mine starts so easy, enricher off within 5-10 seconds, no lie. As for 97mph; this morning, I did 94mph before shutting it down. I'm only 150 lbs btw. Too fast to ride like that though.

I'm doing other mods, but stuff like hand guards, rear rack, cut rear fender, etc. I even trimmed all the OEM stickers, less busy. I'm looking for an engine guard now, not too many choices out there, was hoping for a tube type.
Trust me...your stock KLX is not running in the 90's mph range. It just isn't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: run the KLX with no mods?