Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Rear brake ergonomics w mx boots (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/rear-brake-ergonomics-w-mx-boots-42901/)

Zeno 04-07-2015 07:03 AM

Rear brake ergonomics w mx boots

I have tried removing return spring, adding an extra Keychain ring to upper hole spring attaches to, and I've moved bolts higher to change braking point.

I just can't get rear brake pedal to comfortably stay below my foot when wearing offroad boots. If I remove return spring it kinda works, but then it doesn't return back to position very well.

One person made cuts and welds but that's not an option for me.

What are you guys doing?

TNC 04-07-2015 02:15 PM

The brake pedal is mild steel. You can remove the pedal, stick the pivot end in a vise chucked up with wood, and slightly bend the end of the pedal. It doesn't take much. With the actuation rod screwed in as far as possible, I had the same problem, so I just bent the pedal down a bit.

Zeno 04-08-2015 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 519632)
The brake pedal is mild steel. You can remove the pedal, stick the pivot end in a vise chucked up with wood, and slightly bend the end of the pedal. It doesn't take much. With the actuation rod screwed in as far as possible, I had the same problem, so I just bent the pedal down a bit.

Huh. As simple as that. Thanks!

I have a cheap-o vise but it's not installed on my bench yet (didn't have right size screws). I'll have to give this a shot!

RockabillSlapMatt 04-08-2015 08:23 PM

I just picked my foot up to brake, and ride on the balls of my feet, rather than my heels.

Zeno 04-09-2015 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt (Post 519675)
I just picked my foot up to brake, and ride on the balls of my feet, rather than my heels.

I do a lot of riding in dirt so I like to be able to hit brakes quicker than that for slides. I'd prefer to not have to lift up my entire foot (and rotate it if I need to be on arches of feet for jumps, etc).

I do keep the balls of my feet on pegs unless I'm about to get some air, but my boots still can't rest comfortably there with brake pedal at the height it is at.

RockabillSlapMatt 04-09-2015 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zeno (Post 519685)
I do a lot of riding in dirt so I like to be able to hit brakes quicker than that for slides. I'd prefer to not have to lift up my entire foot (and rotate it if I need to be on arches of feet for jumps, etc).

I do keep the balls of my feet on pegs unless I'm about to get some air, but my boots still can't rest comfortably there with brake pedal at the height it is at.

Hmmm...Well do you have stock pegs? put the rubber inserts back in and see if that helps, if it does maybe you can find some way to fab up a part that allows you to keep the height without sacrificing the grip?

IDRIDR 04-09-2015 05:28 PM

Just curious . . . do the 09+ 's' models come with the rubber inserts?

ol'klx-er 04-09-2015 06:28 PM

No.
'SF' feature would be my guess.

zl PINHEAD lz 04-09-2015 07:09 PM

12 s' in the UK came with the rubber inserts.

Zeno 04-09-2015 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt (Post 519692)
Hmmm...Well do you have stock pegs? put the rubber inserts back in and see if that helps, if it does maybe you can find some way to fab up a part that allows you to keep the height without sacrificing the grip?

My '06 didn't come with any rubber inserts, but I put on wider IMS pegs anyways for more foot support.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I could put some sort of rubber covers or something to increase height of pegs instead... but I like them at the height they are now and don't want to compromise the metal spiky grip the pegs currently have for when I get bike and myself covered in mud.

EDIT - I do just want to try TNC's method though.... once it's in the vise, what do I use to actually apply pressure and bend it? I feel like it still may be hard for me to get enough leverage on it.