Raced a new efi dirt model Yamaha 250

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Raced a new efi dirt model Yamaha 250

Well was sitting at a light today and along pulls a new 250the guy asks me if I want to see how fast his bike is I said sure. Mind you I never street raced ever in my life, but I thought it be funny on this, since its not really fast. So we went from a dig and by 2nd gear I could see him in my mirror. By 4th I was well out ahead so I slowed down. 2nd race was from a roll, I was in second gear and just walked away.

We pulled over and bs for awhile so he asked if I'd like to ride it sure. He rode mine, I like how the bike rides no bottom end though nice mid and some top end pull. it seems a little choppy in the ride and low speed throttle seems like a light switch (on or off).

We race again and i couldn't catch my bike ,the bottom end just pulls away. If I were to buy a 250 I think I'd take a good hard look at that bike I liked it.

Kevin

Old 05-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Raced a new efi dirt model Yamaha 250

you tell us how you killed this new yami bike with your modded KLX and then you say you would take a good hard look at it if buying? As Kramer would say, "well that's peculiar".
I think it would a cool sleeper to have the 340 kit, pumper, and exhaust. You probably surprised the hell out of him. He was probably thinking he was going to embarrass you. Did you tell him it wasn't a stock bike? or did he know?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

If my bike was stock He would of killed me. With some mods I think that bike would give me a run for my money. Theres more to bikes then just striaght line speed. I'm just saying I liked the bike I can't have a imo.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

mmmm Interesting.

I would like to here from anyone who has ridden both a KLX and the new Yami off road.
It's in the handling that I'm led to believe this machine has a real edge.

All will be revealed in time.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't worry..most of us cancomprehend what you're saying. I caught the if 'I were to buy a 250' part.

The guy must have shat himself. when what he must have thought was a KLX with rejet and pipe pulled away from him. A slip-on, open air box and power commander on the Yamaha would have made things interesting though.

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

If my bike was stock He would of killed me. With some mods I think that bike would give me a run for my money. Theres more to bikes then just striaght line speed. I'm just saying I liked the bike I can't have a imo.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

Yeah, I agree. I'm thinking just something other than the stock WR 15/43 gearing would have put him right with you. Your 13/50 gave you a huge advantage over his 15/43 at low-end rpms.

I just foundyour statements ofhow"it seems a little choppy in the ride and low speed throttle seems like a light switch (on or off). " -both negative attributes if I read correctly, a little contradictory; and then proceed tostate "I think I'd take a good hard look at that bike I liked it."

no one said you couldn't have "a imo". Just curious what you liked about the bike if you didn't like the ride or throttle delivery. Yes, there are more to bikes than straight line speed, what is it with this WR that you liked then?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I've ridden both my brother in law has a brand new wr250r, honestly I think the KLX had more power stock, or the power was different, theres just something about the wr that feels week, now I have the 300kit + dynojet kit + Staintune pipe, it really is no comparison,.... HOWEVER, what I do like about the WR250r is the stiffer suspension, especially the front forks, it does feel very smooth and power delivery is very smooth if somewhat week, I'm thinking about putting the .43 springs in the forks which should stiffen them up. The other thing I didn;t like about the wr is the front tank plastics, they seem very weak and flimsy and the way they bolt on.. It seems as though if you got a stick or branch or something caught in there while riding it would rip it clean off.

Anyway just my .2c

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the power delivery is just different. The WR has more of a mid to upper range hit and revs more freely than the KLX.It also has a higher peak HP. To accompish that, it has a lighter flywheel andvariable intake valve geometry...pretty slick, high techstuff. I think it has an 11.8:1 compression rationwheras the KLX isabout 11:1.

I you're a fan of low-end grunt, than youmight notlike the stock WR. I've learned to appreciate both styles, but I think theWR will keep youbusier in the hills.

I agree with you that while the WR is a pretty bike, it looks flimsy in a lot of areas. I use my KLX for touring and I doesn't look like the WR's framewould handle all of the sfuff I carry...I could be wrong though.

ORIGINAL: chris72a

I've ridden both my brother in law has a brand new wr250r, honestly I think the KLX had more power stock, or the power was different, theres just something about the wr that feels week, now I have the 300kit + dynojet kit + Staintune pipe, it really is no comparison,.... HOWEVER, what I do like about the WR250r is the stiffer suspension, especially the front forks, it does feel very smooth and power delivery is very smooth if somewhat week, I'm thinking about putting the .43 springs in the forks which should stiffen them up. The other thing I didn;t like about the wr is the front tank plastics, they seem very weak and flimsy and the way they bolt on.. It seems as though if you got a stick or branch or something caught in there while riding it would rip it clean off.

Anyway just my .2c

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the stock gearing on my bike now.
Choppy as though the wheelbase seems smaller more of a rocking feeling.
I kinda like the looks of the bike, modern but different. IMO

Kevin

Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

I think the power delivery is just different. The WR has more of a mid to upper range hit and revs more freely than the KLX.It also has a higher peak HP. To accompish that, it has a lighter flywheel andvariable intake valve geometry...pretty slick, high techstuff. I think it has an 11.8:1 compression rationwheras the KLX isabout 11:1.

I you're a fan of low-end grunt, than youmight notlike the stock WR. I've learned to appreciate both styles, but I think theWR will keep youbusier in the hills.

I agree with you that while the WR is a pretty bike, it looks flimsy in a lot of areas. I use my KLX for touring and I doesn't look like the WR's framewould handle all of the sfuff I carry...I could be wrong though.

ORIGINAL: chris72a

Anyway just my .2c

Cheers
Chris.
the frame on the new WR looks anything but flimsy compared to the KLX's. If I were you I'd watch what I threw on the back of your KLX/D-tracker as the subframe is notorious for being somewhat weak back there. I agree the tank/shroud area looks downright stupid and really weak on that new WR. Someone on TT put a FMF pipe on their WR and talk about ridiculous looking. The WR's stock pipe is somewhat of a finish piece for the side; this dude's pipe, the way it mounted made it hang down and look really unfinished. Some people will put just about anything on their bike it seems, no matter how unproportionate it makes it look. to each his own I guess.

Quick Reply: Raced a new efi dirt model Yamaha 250