No Electrical Power At All (2007 KLX250)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default No Electrical Power At All (2007 KLX250)

Hi, all.

I am having quite an issue with my stock 2007. My boy on his xr100 had to tow me back to van from the trails on Sunday (good experience for him, but sucks none the less ).

Here is what happened; I was riding along with no issues, but then the clutch seemed to be slipping when I gave it more throttle. I then noticed that I had to physically push the clutch level away from the handle bar to engage it.

I stopped the bike to see if there was something in he way of the clutch level at the engine, but all was clear. Anyway, when I went to restart my bike, it turned over for a second and then I lost all power. Nothing works (horn, lights, starter). It went completely dead. I thought that maybe the clutch wasn't disengaging properly and when I tried to start it (it was in first gear with the clutch pulled in), it was like it was in gear and it was too much for the starter and popped the fuse. It was getting dark, so I towed it back and went home.

I just popped off the seat to check the fuse today, and both the fuses under the seat are just fine. Now I am not sure what to do next. That is as far as I got due to not having time to open anything up. Before I start looking, are there any suggestions as to why I would lose all power all of a sudden? Could it have something to do with the clutch?

When I looked at it just now, the clutch seemed to be engaging and disengaging fine (or at least the lever is returning to position without issue) at first, but after a few squeezes, it seems to be locking up again.

Sorry for the long email, but I wanted to add as much detail as possible. I am hoping to get at it early next week.

By the way, the engine was running very well prior to this event, and I had no indication that there were any problems prior to the clutch acting up. I have the clutch and kickstand safety switches bypassed, so I don't think that is an issue.

Thanks for looking.

Peter

Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

It's not your cluster because it's all mechanical with the exception of the cluster lights. It sounds like your clutch went south. I would tear it down and look for extra broken parts. I also have the same bike with stage II jetting and a DG pipe. Dump the oil and pull off the side cover could be a broken/bent engagement pin.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't see how these 2 problems are related.
I think your battery is done, how old is it?
Check your clutch cable route, maybe it is pinched or binding somewhere along the route and hanging up. Were you in under the tank working recently?

Old 10-08-2016, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I do indeed feel that there are two issues.

My battery has been weak this summer, and I just read a post from someone who said that they had the same sort of total power shutdown due to a bad battery. I hadn't realized that one could just stop dead like that. At least it gives me a place to start.

I will also open the side to see what is what with the clutch. I will let you know what I find. I haven't had the tank off recently, and there was no issue with the clutch pull all summer. I have a feeling it is more than a snagged cable, but you just never know until you take a good look.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians out there!

Peter

Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Happy Ending

Well, my bike lives again.

It was indeed a bad battery. As I mentioned, I knew it was weak, but I didn't know that a battery would go from working to absolutely nothing in a second like that with no warning. I thought it would just get weaker and weaker and then I would hear the click of the starter. Now I know!

The clutch issue is also fixed. It is a bit embarrassing, but at least it works again. I was riding in a very dusty area before my breakdown. When I went riding in the wet trails, the dust that was in the clutch lever pivoting area of the perch turned into a thick paste. This paste made the lever bind almost completely. A clean and a lube and all is well.

Anyway, I am back on the road, and I thank everyone for your help.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:19 AM
Default No power at all.

Originally Posted by mid-life crisis
Hi, all.

I am having quite an issue with my stock 2007. My boy on his xr100 had to tow me back to van from the trails on Sunday (good experience for him, but sucks none the less ).

Here is what happened; I was riding along with no issues, but then the clutch seemed to be slipping when I gave it more throttle. I then noticed that I had to physically push the clutch level away from the handle bar to engage it.

I stopped the bike to see if there was something in he way of the clutch level at the engine, but all was clear. Anyway, when I went to restart my bike, it turned over for a second and then I lost all power. Nothing works (horn, lights, starter). It went completely dead. I thought that maybe the clutch wasn't disengaging properly and when I tried to start it (it was in first gear with the clutch pulled in), it was like it was in gear and it was too much for the starter and popped the fuse. It was getting dark, so I towed it back and went home.

I just popped off the seat to check the fuse today, and both the fuses under the seat are just fine. Now I am not sure what to do next. That is as far as I got due to not having time to open anything up. Before I start looking, are there any suggestions as to why I would lose all power all of a sudden? Could it have something to do with the clutch?

When I looked at it just now, the clutch seemed to be engaging and disengaging fine (or at least the lever is returning to position without issue) at first, but after a few squeezes, it seems to be locking up again.

Sorry for the long email, but I wanted to add as much detail as possible. I am hoping to get at it early next week.

By the way, the engine was running very well prior to this event, and I had no indication that there were any problems prior to the clutch acting up. I have the clutch and kickstand safety switches bypassed, so I don't think that is an issue.

Thanks for looking.

Peter
I know this is an old post but today I am glad I found this. I was just about to go for a ride this morning, turned the key and nothing!
Checked battery first had 12 .4 volts then checked fuses, then every wire pulled apart half the bike!
Eventually read your post and decided to try my car battery, yep the head light came on. So 4 hrs later put in a new battery and Bob's ya Uncle! Good as gold now