New Member stepping out of the shadows

Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New Member stepping out of the shadows

Hi all,
A short introduction from a KLX250S owner who has been lurking in the shadows of this forum for sometime and now has decided to come clean and join it. Actually I have two (2) 2007 KLX's bought new in late 2007 in an effort to push back the ravages of too many years and too much gray hair. Last time I was on a bike was about '82, then the "twins" came along and there went the bikes. I resisted my own urges and the pleas from one of my twin sons as long as I could. Once you get dirt in your blood you can never get it out (my first true motorcycle was a new 1971 Kawasaki F7-175 Enduro...still have some of the pieces too!). My sons are 26 and so far I have one avid dirt buddy and high hopes for the other one. I myself am more than twice that in years but try to ride for 30 minutes at a time as though I was half my age (and then pay for it the next day).

I'm very fortunate that I have access to our family farm about an hour west of Raleigh, NC and keep the bikes there so I can ride most weekends on our private trails and wide open pastures. Nothing real big or scary but a great place to waste an hour or two in the woods or blasting over the grass. If any of you are nearby or come to visit let me know...we'll take a trip to the farm.

I read the forum on a very regular basis and am very impressed with the knowledge base that is shared here. You guys are hard core to the limit. I have no exciting plans for my bikes other than keeping them loaded with dirt. I did change to a 13/47 gearing on my son's bike for a little more low speed control and an added adrenalin rush on acceleration. For my bike I added a Pelican box on the luggage rack to carry tools and spares and I just recently lenghtened the foot pegs about 1-1/2" so my MX boots would be less prone to slipping off.

I also enjoy the ride reports and hope to throw a couple of our recent trips up as soon as I get this forum stuff figured out. Keep up the great work and think dirt!

kmac250

Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, dude. If I lived in Raleigh I would totally take you up on that offer.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

The invitation stands....
My other son wants to move to the Pacific Northwest this year so I'm trying to figure out how to get one or more bikes "out west" to sample some of the dirt there. I managed to "sample" some California snow around Mt Shasta on a Polaris sled last year. Looks like the same trails minus the snow might work for the KLX's.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kmac250
The invitation stands....
My other son wants to move to the Pacific Northwest this year so I'm trying to figure out how to get one or more bikes "out west" to sample some of the dirt there. I managed to "sample" some California snow around Mt Shasta on a Polaris sled last year. Looks like the same trails minus the snow might work for the KLX's.
There's a few people here on the boards who take their KLX's through snow. You're good to go as long as you have a decent set of tires. The stock ones aren't all that great, especially in loose dirt/sand. You might want to look into some suspension upgrades, too.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

You could stay at Deej's place in washington!!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey man, Welcome to KF, hope you enjoy your stay,

Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Kmac! I'm in Apex, so we're pretty close. Your farm must be out around Siler City? You are probably not too far from Uwharrie out that way either. I ride with a few guys around here, sometimes up around Durham and my other group rides down around Southern Pines / Ft. Bragg. I just got my bike back together after being down for some suspension upgrades and winter maintenance. Tentatively I'm going to be riding down around Bragg on Sunday. We should hook up and ride sometime.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. What part of the Pacific Northwest is he moving to? I'm about as PNW as you can get.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member stepping out of the shadows