Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   New to the KLX250 Questions.. (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/new-klx250-questions-43434/)

KawaKLX250 10-02-2015 10:30 AM

New to the KLX250 Questions..

Hi everybody!

Last summer i bought a '09 KLX250 (FI model) which is a fun bike.
Yes, its a little underpowered but its light and nibble to ride!
It has a Leo Vince X3 slip-on and no snorkel on the airbox and i did the clutch switch brigde mod. but i'd like more power!
I've done a lot of reading on the forum about exhaust headers and i like to buy one.
Which one should i get?
IMO the FMF is to expensive and the "bomb" sticks out to much( ideal for burning your leg on it!)
FSW and RSV and Delta also make a header which seem nicely priced, but which one would be best? I'd like to keep the LV slip-on muffer as its fairly new.
FSW is made of a "Light weight hard hitting alloy" ?
RSV and Delta are stainless steel

Please share your opinions!

taxonomy 10-02-2015 01:58 PM

I don't think any header will increase HP that much. At one point someone did a dyno test on this and the stock header actually made more HP but not by a lot.

If you don't want to spend a lot and have some mechanical skills the Marcello Cam Mod is verified as working. It's basically free. It's the best option for low budget power increase.

Many in the USA and else where go with the Bill Blue big bore kit. That, trust me, will give you more power.

Headers are not cheap, there' better places to spend that money.

Werloc 10-02-2015 02:30 PM

Just so you know, FMF has a heat sheild you can buy for the bulge in the header. I still need one for my Powerbomb header, and will fit any header pipe. I can see my leg getting pinned against it one day melting my MX pants and burning my leg. Though I haven't gone down in 6 years....:p

taxonomy 10-02-2015 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Werloc (Post 524764)
Though I haven't gone down in 6 years....:p

I guess you don't ride in the woods.

KawaKLX250 10-02-2015 04:54 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!
Yes i've also read about the "Marcelino cam mod" all the 85 pages!
I could do it myself as i work as a mechanic on cars for a living.
Some say you loose some power higher up the rev range others say it will pull better over the entire rev range...Hmmm , a bit confusing.
I'll probably go for the 351 big bore in the future and then the "Marcelino cam mod" will not work so well as with the 250 barrel , as i've read...
On the other hand , the bigger header should work better with the big bore..
What i've read is that the 351 big bore doesn't rev as easy as the 250 barrel and the header helps it rev better. Anyway, i like to rev it up and have some power there and will do most of my time 60/40 road/offroad riding.
Will do the backfire screen/mesh removal aswell and remove the secondary butterfly.
Then theres the FI... (i know in the USA these bikes are carb)
I'm looking at the rapidbike exclusive system
Rapid Bike EXCLUSIVE EVO Kit Kawasaki KLX250 [DS-KRBEVO-063-EX] - 359,00? : alpha Technik - Vom Rennsport auf die Strasse, Onlineshop
Anyone has some experience with this system?

Klxster 10-02-2015 05:13 PM

Kawa, dyno testing shows that a larger dia. header + "correctly mating" slipon + lidless airbox will create significantly increased power levels when fueled correctly..

You only get the big power if you successfully complete each of the items above.. Do only one or two and you'll actually loose power over a properly fueled stock header + slip-on..

Klxster 10-02-2015 05:20 PM

Once you do the MCM - And do it correctly - you'll never look back.. It is "in your face" power increases off idle to red line.. And it allows you to remove the airbox lid, then re-fuel, and get even mopowah ...

Werloc 10-02-2015 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by taxonomy (Post 524768)
I guess you don't ride in the woods.

LOL, Thats ALL I ride is woods. And real agressive and hard. I don't ride street.

Michaelb2 10-02-2015 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by KawaKLX250 (Post 524760)
Yes, its a little underpowered but its light and nibble to ride!

That's the first time I've heard those words associated with the KLX! I guess it all depends on your perspective.

Kerloc: 6 years in the woods and you've never fallen?? You're either doing it wrong, or doing it WAY right! Oh yeah, you're from Jersey. nevermind. ;)

Werloc 10-02-2015 08:00 PM

I'm not saying I don't fall. 11 broken bones and 9 orthopedic surgeries in my day, all while racing. I can honestly say, I have more time and miles on 2 wheels than anything else. Riding since I was 6, raced mx, enduros, and flat track at the pro level for most of my life. Worked 30+ years in the MC industry. Though I ride agressive, I never ride over my head. I have more injuries from not falling getting all twisted up pulling muscles, etc trying to save it. I'd be better off going down sometimes....LOL I'm more at home on a bike than anything else. I just spent a lot of time riding. Pretty much every day weather permitting. Lucky I guess, who knows, and frankly who cares, not me.