Changed my first tire last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Changed my first tire last night

So the Kawi has almost 45hundo miles on it now and I've used every last bit of tire it had. Finally swapped out the rear tire last night and man it was a friggn PITA! Totally doable and its not the worse thing I've done but holy crap, screw trying to fix a flat on the trail. I'm not new to tires or getting my hands dirty, I've been a mechanic for 8 years but man anyone else feel the same? I will say I used my "trail tools" to get the job done, the only part I cheated on was I used a torque wrench at the end and I used a 25 gallon drum with a fender cover as my work bench, def made things easier being able to work with the wheel and tire.

Luckily the front tire is a lot easier to deal with and I'd assume that is the one more likely to get a flat of some sort?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Tire changing is a funny thing. It's probably about 75% technique over tools in getting the job done. Don't get me wrong...the better the tire irons and aids, the easier the job. Still it's amazing to see a knowledgeable guy with a couple of those dinky tire levers in a cheap OEM tool kit actually get the job done. Unless you don't learn from your mistakes, it really does get easier the more you do it. Watching a good video of a knowledgeable guy performing a tire removal/install is a good place to start. Yeah, they make it look too easy, but watch carefully and listen to their directions.

When all else fails, huge tire spoons made for changing car and truck tires can help the uninformed or limp wristed...but...they can actually damage the tire bead and/or rim if used improperly. I love the big tire spoons for use at home in the shop. When you're careful you can install the stiffest multi-ply tires without getting a hernia or losing a finger.

Attached Thumbnails Changed my first tire last night-big-tire-irons.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Technique and practice will greatly simplify. Check this out.

Neduro's Tire Changing Class - ADVrider

Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I was really good at it from practice and doing all my riding buddy's tires. I would even swap to paddle tires for a day at the sand dunes. I had the technique down but with the KLX I just don't burn up tires as fast as the XR did so I am out of practice.

I have a trials tire still looking at me that needs to be put on.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

As a relative noob I can sympathize. My first tire change I cut the tube with the irons so I got to do it again immediately. I watched lots of you tube tire changing video for the subtleties. Now, 6 tire changes later it isn't such a bad job. Since I ride in remote areas a lot, alone I figured it is a necessary skill. The best advice is if it is too hard ... change the technique. Also I also use two rimlocks which makes it a little tougher.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

^^ What they said. Practice makes perfect... My first change sounded like yours. hahaa..

I have done a bunch now and can usually get each tire done in about 20-25 mins.

I use one spoon, two irons, a bead buddy, baby powder, and windex Oh, and a 5gl bucket to put the wheel on while I'm working on it.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The front tire was no big deal when I had to change a tube on a buddies KLX. I found the most PITA part for the rear was getting the last bead off, after a few minutes I found it was a lot easier if I removed the tube rather then fight it. I was also trying to not scratch the rims, my entire bike is scratched up from dirt naps but for what ever reason wheel scuffs bother me.

If all goes well and I get my trailer sorted out I'll be hitting up some dirt this weekend with a buddy! Sucks living in the Bay Area some times because all the dirt is like 2 or 3 hours away on a highway.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm dreading my own do it myself tire change on my 17" sf wheels. I figure it will be SUPER stiff to work over the rim. Not to mention balancing.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a tip - if it's warm out and the sun is shining, lay the new tires out in your driveway for an hour or two first. The sun will bake them and make them really soft and easy to work with.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Here's a tip - if it's warm out and the sun is shining, lay the new tires out in your driveway for an hour or two first. The sun will bake them and make them really soft and easy to work with.
Run them through the pizza oven!

Quick Reply: Changed my first tire last night