xtended warranty...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default xtended warranty...worth it?

First of all great forum, I've learned a ton over the past week. I feel much better about the purchase and I'm ready to buyan 07.

So I've been making phone calls and beating up the stealers for the last two days (come on, $4,700 otd is not too much to ask !?!). While I let them cool off for a couple of days I'd like to hear some opinions on extended warranties (both good and bad). Are they worth it? Have you used yours? Are they the same priceat every dealer? Are they better to buy when the bike is new, or right before the one year runs out? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: xtended warranty...worth it?

Well I used it on my Car not the bike and all I can say is if you are tight on cash it might be worth it in the future as some repairs can be very costly. Then again murphys law says if you buy it you probably won't use it.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if I never had anything go wrong with the bike, I am still glad I got the extra 4 years. But its also nice to know that I have already had a couple hundred bucks worth of work done on the second year. So I guess its all a game of chance, and I don't gamble so it was a sure shot for me to get it. Yes there is a cost for anything, but for me,.....I really saved by keeping my piece of mind.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

It is nice to have that piece of mind that the x warrany gives. I bought the x-tra 4 yrs and the dealer said I could do the basic mods to the bike and still have it covered. They said as long as the basic maintenance is done your gold. I Pd $400 for the extra 4yrs. I think I saw someone on here once who pd 200 for 4yr, so I might have Pd to much. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea saved my ***....... well worth it.... for me.... but i think im the exception.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

My warranty is about to run out I just got a paper from Kal and they want $286 for 12 months and $528 for 48 months there nuts I could but the top end for that ..... And I would never let a dealer touch my bike anyway.....

Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Everybody has their own opinion but the correct decision will boil down to your unique situation.

Some reasons to consider purchasing an extended service agreement:
1. If you have a limited mechanical aptitude for working on motorcycles.
2. If you don’t have a good set of tools.
3. If the bike will be ridden hard and/or often.
4. If you can’t afford an extended warranty, make damn sure you get it as you sure as hell couldn’t afford a large repair bill
5. If you plan on owning the bike for many years.
6. If you have confidence in your local Kawasaki dealership’s service department.
7. If your modifications are limited to noninvasive upgrades.
8. Great piece of mind to know that your bike will be repaired without having to pay any extra.

On any extended service agreement the provider is betting that on average repairs made under the agreement will not exceed the cost (not what you paid for it but what the dealer paid) of the service agreement, this is how they make a profit.

The worst reason in the world to not buy an extended service agreement is because you are afraid that Kawasaki is going to profit from it; most every purchase you make is profitable for the seller.

If you choose to buy the extended service agreement I know that for the Kawasaki GTPP 48 month plan (your new bike will be covered for a total of 5 years) costs the dealer about $221 so don’t let them rip your head off on it. I think that $100 profit is adequate and if they don’t then shop around.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:30 AM

top end is covered in this warranty right (valves)??

Old 06-21-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Do not go with a Kawasaki extended warranty. They will try to find any reason to avoid covering something that is wrong with your bike. Research some aftermarket warranties that have a good reputation for honoring their warranty. They will be less inclined to say no if you have done some mods to your bike. I think I paid around 400 for a four year warranty after my factory warranty expires.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If by "they" you mean the shop well then they are not a good shop, if you mean Kawasaki then they are only shooting themselves in the foot if they don't honor the warranty. My shop would go to bat for me anytime. If anyone out there has issues with getting your bike fixed then you have the wrong dealership working for you, yea that's right they work for you, the consumer.

Quick Reply: xtended warranty...worth it?