New KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Default New KLX250

hi, im new to the forum and just got a brand new 07 kawi klx250. just kinda got into the whole biking thing, im young and inexperienced. im really looking to do some mods to the bike....such as change the gearing and get a new exhaust. but i honestly dont know where to start. read the faq's and they're sorta helpful....what would you guys recommend? thanx

[IMG]local://upfiles/5651/4D649086ADD643568055BFDFBC831207.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Default RE: New KLX250

Congrat's on the new bike. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I would put the 13 tooth sprocket on, rejet the carb, pull the airboxlid and drill out the stock exhaust and see how you like it then. Then if you want more, add a pipe. After that, if you still want more............big bore!!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 AM

Hello and welcome! Well, you are new to biking so, I wouldn't worry about pipes and jetting the carbs just yet. The first thing you need to do is change the gearing it's easy and inexpensive. The best thing about it besides the better low end power is you can go slower without bogging the motor down. This makes it much easier when off roading and makes it easier to launch form a red light.

Just read about it. Its easy to do, I have the 13, 45 set up and love it for off roading.

When you get a few miles on your bike and you feel you need more power then start the other mods.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 AM

ok i will look into doing the 13/45 setup. thanx....im sure i will have plenty more questions in the future.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:04 AM

Read the FAQs again, and again. I was in the same situation. After reading as much as I cound find,I finally dove in and did all the free mods. Really was no big deal, and a fun, learning experience. Seemed intimidating at first, but just a few hours and it's done. I found this post particularly helpful:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_100000/tm.htm

Interesting thatperforming the mods myself has given me a newfound confidence in my wrench-turing abilities. Started looking at the mirror now before the yellow pages for my car troubles.

Good luck and congratulations on the new bike!
Donnie

Old 06-05-2007, 04:13 AM

All very good points, but also a question that must be asked is what kind of riding do you do (off-
road mostly? what type of terrain? and where are you located?) The reason I say so is that the
stock tires perform very well on pavement and hardpack like dirt roads, but anything looser than
that and they are deadly, e****ally to a novice rider! Bigtime washouts in sand and loose dirt.
The 13 tooth front sprocket is a must in stock trim, will perform much better, but you will lose
your "highway" speed. I have a moose 13t front sproket and it is a good product at a low price.
Parts Unlimited is always a good source for parts. As for rejetting, that will depend on your elevation.
I live in western Michigan and run the dynojet kit for the klx 300 with a 128 main, stock pilot,
and a shimmed stock needle and the afr screw at 2.5 turns out. It works perfectly with the exhaust
I have (full muzzy) but seeing as you have a new bike and are just trying out things, maybe a little
leaner and drilling out the stock exhaust is a good place to start. I do like the dynojet kit though, that
way, as you upgrade, you have all the parts you need.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:26 AM

well thanx for all your advice so far....
for my riding style, so far its been 50/50 on and offroad. i live in southern ontario where there are lots of trails. no loose stuff.
i've been looking over the forums and im thinking the first thing to do is change the gearing. dunno if there are any guides that could help me, if you know any i'd definitely appreciate a link.
and im not sure what you guys mean when you say drilling out the exhaust. im not sure if i want to do any of that kind of modding. i'd sooner buy a new after market exhaust. i wouldnt trust myself with drilling it....plus wouldnt that leak hot exhaust out?.....and i also think the stalk exhaust is ugly and would rather show off something better. haha
once again, thanx for your help. great forum!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:35 AM

The stock exhaust is terrible! Myself and many others on here have the full Muzzy exhaust,
it is pricey, but has been around a long time (same as the KLX300) and is tried and true.
I recommend it highly. As far as drilling goes, you drill directly into the rear through the outtermost
baffle, it gets a little louder, frees it up a little, but I imagine you would end up with an aftermarket
soon after anyway, so just wait to rejet until you pony up for an exhaust. There are several slip ons
available now (when I got mine the Muzzy full was about the only option) so you may want to go
that rout.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 AM

just wondering what i will all need for the 13t front sproket installation. will i need to get a new chain as well and if so what size?
and i dunno if they're many canadians on the site, but if you know of any canadian sites to order parts from that would help me out a lot and save me time and money. thanx

Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm Canadian!!! My Bike is still new as well (900km). Have not done any mods yet. If you are new to riding the stock power will be good enough. the only place that I find it lacks is at Low RPMs ( tight trails are tough)so I will definately Do the gearing. I am from Grande Prairie Alberta. where are you from harder 12. Knowing my luck a 1000 miles away. ( I am new to this and still looking for trail riders in my area).

Ken

Quick Reply: New KLX250