Moto-Pro: Big Thumbs Up ... Race-Tech: ugh, not so thumbs up

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Moto-Pro: Big Thumbs Up ... Race-Tech: ugh, not so thumbs up

It's not often I'm really impressed with a company's customer service ... unfortunately it's mostly the opposite these days.

I knew that I wanted (well I told the wife I needed this mod ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it) to re-spring and re-valve both ends of my '09.

So I called Race-Tech, went through their automated system, left a message for "Technical Sales" with very specific details about bike, weights, type of riding blah, blah. One day later, no return call.

So I pick up the phone today and call Race Tech again. This time I punch buttons until I get a live body in "Sales". But her spreadsheet application didn't have an '09 KLX250S, she couldn't recommend anything or even tell me if they had anything available, have to take my name & phone number and have someone call me back ("No, I don't want your email address, I'm already swamped with emails"." Ugh, OK.

I then pick up the phone and call Moto-Pro. A live body picks up the phone. It's John ... the OWNER.

I spend the next 20 minutes discussing my application, options and technical stuff in general. I'm an engineer, experienced rider and wrench turner. But even I, Mr. Know It All, learned a few new things!

This guy KNOWS suspension ... theory and application. I was impressed. So impressed I ordered: new springs front & rear, valve kits front & rear and shock fluid. John told me if I had any questions about any part of the process to call him, he'd be happy to help.

Last, but not least and no certainly offense to any non-US riders ... Moto-Pro's springs and valve kit components are made in the USA. I think anytime you can buy quality, cost competitive, products made in your country (wherever that may be) you should.

Now I eagerly await the goodies and not so eagerly await the "What the #&$ is this $600 credit card charge?" from the wife ... "Did I mention how much I L-O-V-E you dear."

Old 02-20-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

i had the same service, great guys there at moto-pro. having a live person to help you chose your mods really is a big plus and huge help. another company ive had this good of service with was eibach when i lowered my honda. i got a call from the 15 mins after i ordered my coilovers online, and helped me set up my car so it handles like a go cart (ive gotten a friend to puke from running moutain roads). i want to give eibach a call when i go my rear spring, but if they dont have the knowledge for bikes like they do cars, im going moto pro for sure.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been wanting to setup the suspension for my 06 klx250s, revalve front and rear, new front springs. I am glad to hear a good review from a place that does this kind of work. So I decided to check out the website for motopro. And of all the places in the world that this place could be locate. It is less than 3 miles from MY HOUSE. I AM STOKED
Thanks for the review on Motopro or I would have never thought to look at the site.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Funny this post came up today. I called and spoke to John at Motopro several times in the last couple months. I wanted to lower the 250sf I got for the gf for christmass. John was in the middle of working on Punkenduros bike which I belive was his first KL250 with the post07 suspension. Becuase he took all the mesurements from PE's bike I was able to only ship over the shocks and forks. I will say it did take about twice as long as he expected to get them back in the mail. I recieved them last week and installed today. Bike is so much lower that it leans the wrong way on the kickstand. I am sure it will fit her. I also purchased stiffer front and rear springs for my bike. Will put them in next weekend if I dont go to Palau.

The only thing I am concerned with is the bumper at the bottom of her rear spring is seperated into two pieces at the grove. It should still work but I will be calling John to see if it will affect anything. I would have liked to have been given the option to replace it unless it is unobtainable.

So yes two thumbs up for John at Moto Pro.
Cheers Jim

Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

+1, also dealt with moto pro 1st class operation.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another two thumbs up!

John was very helpful. Wouldn't hesitate to call and order again.

As a business owner myself, it's great to see that he recognizes excellent customer service is a huge factor in success.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Moto-pro is tops for sure, John was very helpful when I got my springs form him. But in Race-Tech's defense, I'm guessing they have their hands full primarily with MX and off-road bikes, so it's not too surprising they might not know much about a KLX250S dual sport.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I too wanted to add my Moto Pro experience. I'm fortunate to live in the same town as Moto Pro and dropped my bike off at his shop. He lives in a nice part of town and has his shop in his garage. He was super nice. I like seeing that in someone with so much experience. The suspension on my bike has been outstanding. He tuned the front and back together to my weight. The ride is so good I don't even think about it anymore; the front no longer has that really bad dive when you hit the brakes quickly. Big thumbs up to John.

He's also a KLX 250 fan and not too crazy about KTM's. It was interesting listening to his reasoning. He was also alittle concerned about my 351 bore, mainly that it might overheat riding slow tight single track we have up here. He felt the bike had enough engine stock. I think that was the only thing I disagreed with him on. I was polite and disagreed silently. I just hope my bike doesn't overheat this summer riding Tahuya single track

Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I too went through Moto Pro when I got new springs for my 2007 KLX250S. Probably the best mod I've done to the bike so far to be honest. Handling is much improved and it cost far less to get the parts from them and do it myself than it did when I had Jeremy at MX Tech re-work my YZ250 suspension...LOL

The company really knows how to provide Customer Service, something which seems to be rarer and rarer these days...

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Just to refresh, I posted a Race Tech rear shock Gold Valve rebuild on my '06 KLX250. Everything from a KLX300 will work perfectly in at least the '06/'07. I also used the Gold Valve fork kit for the 300, and it worked excellently. These kits are basically the same for some KX's, KLX's, and KDX's. The shim recommendation changes with your weight and riding style of course. Hardly anyone shows the '06/'07 KLX250 on any front/rear spring or shock or fork revalve. The KLX300 stuff seems to work just fine. I'm using an Eibach 6.0 rear spring and some Race Tech fork springs. I couldn't be happier with the results of the revalving and respringing.

I talked with John at Moto-Pro and was highly impressed with his knowledge. The prices after a full spring and revalve were going to be more than I could handle. I always wanted to do a job like this myself, and it turned out to be fun, not too difficult, and I learned a ton in the process. If I were going to do the job myself again, I'd recommend the Race Tech kits strongly. If I were going to pay to have it done, I'd go with John at Moto-Pro. From talking to him and hearing the many kudos he's received from many satisfied customers from other sites as well, I'd say he's a safe bet on doing it right.

Quick Reply: Moto-Pro: Big Thumbs Up ... Race-Tech: ugh, not so thumbs up