Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Mods? what have you done? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/mods-what-have-you-done-1780/)

a16tony 12-20-2005 05:02 PM

Mods? what have you done?

Its Marty's fault I'm here, great forum. As I found the 250 a bit under powered, I have tinkered. Removed the air box snorkle, 120 jet, drilled the slide valve( same as KLR/dynojet) and changed the rear sprocket to a 45t. The front end will pop of the ground now and has a fantastic 1st gear on the tight trails. It runs about 300-400 more rpms on the freeway, but you really don't notice it. Have you worn out the rear tire yet? 2/3 worn @ 700mi. Kawi wants $180 for the Dunlop 603, I bouhgt the Bridgestone 302 @$80a great agressive 50/50 tire, I should get lots of mileage out of it. I know you have a MPG thread, but I'm here already, 55mpg first tank(no mods), after mods,freeway wide open 75-80mph with 30deg weather-46mpg, in town @ 40deg got 65mpg. I'm sure everyones mileage will very depending your daily adrenaline levels :D

OK, done babbling for now.

Tony

deej 12-20-2005 06:33 PM

RE: Mods? what have you done?

Hey Tony, thanks for the information, man $180.00 for a tire, I guess I won't be going with the dunlop. Yea I have 250 miles on my bike in the month that I have had it, and I have noticed that the tire seems to be wearing pretty fast, and I haven't even seen the dirt yet. it's been in the 20's here in washington state, and slick so I haven't been riding much. I did ride it to work 5 days in a row 2 weeks ago, but then I only have a 2 mile commute. I am waiting for a 13 tooth to come out for this bike, but the parts guy said it's a "new" shaft. The difference between a front and a rear sprocket is about $50.00. Yea it's a little under powered, and I could use all the help I can get, since I'm hitting close to 240 lbs. I have been out of bikes for years, could someone explain about the air box mod, and jetting?

deej

a16tony 12-20-2005 07:39 PM

Where are you at deej, I'm in Everett, Wa. The front sprocket is the same shaft as the later KLR 650's. The differences are: #1 if you mill/grind the outside shoulder off the KLR sprocket it will fit. #2 I haven't found a 13tooth KLR sprocket. If someone sends a sprocket to Sporcket Specialties they can make a 13t, but thats four weeks of no riding.[:@]. Bent Bike in Lynnwood has JT460series rear sprockets in verious sizes for$35, the 109 link DID520Vchain is $90. I opted to work some OT and get the 45t, rather than wait for a front. The snorkel under the seat pulls right out of the top of the box lid. You can't take it out unless you jet to a minimum 120(118stock), it runs too lean. Pulling the carb is a pain in the butt, but well worth it IMO. I'm at work so I don't know what size drill bit to use to drill the vent hole on the slide valve(PM me), it's the same one from the dynojet kit on my KLR. I also picked up a 125jet for when I get a pipe(some day). You can find Dunlop 606's on the web $60, you can expect about 1-2k good miles, I hear even more from the MT21's

http://a16tony.smugmug.com/photos/49027912-M.jpg

What do you mean it's too cold to ride... Northfork of Snoqualmie River, this month.

He he, Tony

deej 12-20-2005 07:51 PM

So maybe I should go with a bigger sprocket in the back, I was trying to avoid having to buy a new chain too. And as far as all the other stuff you talked about, I just got dumb real fast. I think I will leave it all alone for now. Don't you think its sad that the tires wear out so fast? But I suppose thay have to make them soft so they will grip good. Oh and I live in Forks out on the Olympic Peninsula, but I work for the University of Washington. www.onrc.washington.edu We have hundreds of miles of logging roads, and trails. Its the perfect place to have a bike, and I only have a 2 mile commute to work and the store. Oh and I might see one car on my way to work. I love it. University Job without the traffic LOL. Here is a picture of where I work, and check out the link.

[IMG]local://upfiles/897/299FCC1A9E874E73A97AA982FDED7F6E.jpg[/IMG]

a16tony 12-20-2005 08:33 PM

You are now on the hook to host a ride this summer. trail pilgrim is our local forum in the Puget Sound. Have a look around, we have group name. DRIPS, Dualsport Riders In the Puget Sound. We ride in all weather almost every weekend.

Tony

Marty 12-20-2005 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: a16tony

Its Marty's fault I'm here, great forum.

Tony

Yeah, Sure!

Go Ahead &

Blame Me!

[sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Just admit it, you couldn't stay away! I think it's the best KLX250S home in cyber space! Do you agree?

a16tony 12-20-2005 11:59 PM

I agree...All hail the KLX250S. Marty, did you get the valve shim info from the KLR650.net forum?

sdunne 12-21-2005 01:19 AM

Hi im new to this sight still waiting on my klx 250s to get here. has anybody checked out klxzone.co.uk if so can any one explain the differences between the 250s and the 300r besides the displacement. Because I noticed alot of the parts are the same. And any of you know if you can use a after market 300r spockets on the 250s?

a16tony 12-21-2005 03:11 AM

I found them...Sprockets

these match my measurements http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin...all/jtf516.jpg 13,14,15
KL250 D2-D6 (KLR250)
1984 to 1989

and the rear http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin...all/jtr460.jpg 42 through 53 79-80 KLX250

Love me...well you know what I mean. These are JT sprockets, suppliers can cross reference them. I know the rear fits, but I have not physically tried the front. I'm judging from the KLR650 splines that match , and the the shoulder that I would have mill off. I am ordering one tomorrow, size 13.

Cheers, Tony

sdunne 12-21-2005 04:26 AM

thank you for the info tony!