Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto

So, I bought a 2005 KLX 300 this past October for a screamin price i couldnt pass up.
It's my first venture into supermoto and i love it. The KLX may not be the biggest, baddest, best sumo out there, but its sure a hell of a lot of fun.

How it looked:

Name:  IMG_2858.jpg
Views: 7967
Size:  188.5 KB

Now, i like riding the bike quite a bit, but there is room for improvement in some things, which i will address with this (re)build thread. First and foremost is the suspension (front sprung for 155lb rider, rear sprung for 180lb rider, im 195 w/o gear). Also the front suspension does not have rebound damping, so I'm addressing that with a set of 1994 KX 125 forks i bought off eBay and some ride height and axle spacers i traded a bottle of Jack Daniels for machining work (i got the mechanical drawings online). They will be sent off and resprung and set up for my weight and motarding along with the shock which will get a refresh as well.

I also dislike the sluggish way the vacuum operated stock carb supplies power so it will be getting changed out for a Mikuni 36MM pumper carb. the Carb will also compliment the 351cc big bore kit from Bill Blue, of which still needs to be ordered.

So, while i was taking off all the suspension, and taking out the motor, i thought why not go further... so i did. and stripped the bike down to the frame. It's been a trail bike and used properly from a previous owner and the finish on the frame is very chipped and crappy looking up close. I'm going to get it powder coated a satin black to look more modern.

Name:  IMAG0211.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0210.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0213.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  107.0 KB

While i was shopping i picked up bunch more parts to make the bike more personalized and useful to me. Since the bike got a street title in CO and turned into a tard out there, it had the bare essentials to get by which was basically a Baja Designs Dual Sport kit thrown at it. the Speedo is cable driven and was set up for a 21" front. It was reading vary far off with the 17" wheel. Trail Tech Vapor seems like the answer.

I have boxes full of other new parts and plan on changing out a few other things that i will update along the way.I will post details and pictures as soon as i get to it.

Currently i'm having my buddy weld on some new exhaust brackets on the frame as the original one busted off sometime in December, while i wait on that i need to get the bearings pressed out of my swingarm then everything will be off to powdercoat. I have a modded shift star, all new engine gaskets, exhaust gasket, oem clutch cable and a custom throttle cable from Motion Pro on the way as well.

I'll update as work progresses.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Got some more parts today so I figured I would throw up a picture of them.
I will be ordering my 351cc big bore kit and mikuni tm36-68 pumper carb early next week.
Still waiting on my modified shift star from a thumper talk forum member, my kx forks (which will be sent.to a suspension shop along with the rear shock to get freshened up and resprung for my weight and sumo duty. Also still waiting on my custom motion pro throttle cable that will mate up to my vortex throttle and be 4" longer to reach the new mikuni.
Got the bearings pressed out of my swingarm and everything will be dropped off at the powder coater most likely sometime next week.

Name:  IMAG0216.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  120.0 KB

Sorry for the picture size, I uploaded it on my phone and I'm not able to resize it. I'll try to shrink it tomorrow when I get on an actual computer.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Update:

Took the KX forks apart and ready to get the new bushings, springs, seals and fluids. The outer tubes will be anodized black and will be dropped off with in the next week.
Will take pictures of that when i get the tubes back.

Got the frame, swingarm and other misc bits back from the powder coater today, im pretty happy with how it turned out. Should really make the bike look like a new model in my opinion.

Name:  IMAG0224.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  158.9 KB

I have to do some minor sanding of the stem on the frame because the powder coater got some powder where the bearing race's sit.

Minorly mocked up:
Name:  IMAG0225.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  173.5 KB

and took the shock apart to rebuild it with new seats, bump stop, bladder. will paint the shock body black and going to get the spring powder coated green.

Name:  IMAG0226.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  124.3 KB

Still need to send out the cylinder to exchange it for the Bill Blue 351cc kit.
But i got it all apart ready to go, just need to go get a cashiers check.

Name:  IMAG0220.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0219.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  188.7 KB

Once i get the cylinder back and the bb kit installed the engine will be getting painted black.

And thats about where im at.
Will update is progress progresses.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  IMAG0227.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  193.0 KB

Triples are on, new bearings pressed on after some swearing. And MX rear fender mocked up with tail light, have to make the bracket still.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the shock all painted up and rebuilt. Dropped the spring off at the powder coater today to get a coat of Kawi green, i think it should look awesome!

Name:  IMAG0229.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  172.5 KB

Upper fork tubes got dropped off at the anodizer earlier this week, im hoping to have them back soon. Since the uppers will be black, im going to spray the fork carriers satin black to match the frame. My springs, rebuild kit (upper and lower bushings, oil seal and dust seal) from KYB, oil, racetech springs, fork bleeders and swingarm bearings showed up.

Name:  IMAG0233.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  159.2 KB

I mocked up the airbox, tail light, rear fender and threw the seat and bars on for fun (i'm anxious!) you can also see the lower fork tubes and carriers prepped for paint.

Name:  IMAG0231.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  144.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0230.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  151.6 KB

Still need to drill and tap the bolt i snapped off in the rear master. not looking forward to it.

Name:  IMAG0234.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  172.1 KB

Also need to find out where to get the larger bearing on the swingarm that attaches to the rear suspension linkage. I checked at the kawi dealer and they want $56 for it (get real..) and i cant seem to find it in any other bearing kit.

I'm hoping to have it as a rolling chassis within the next week and a half.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Pressed in the swingarm bearings today. Still waiting on the upper fork tubes and spring to come back from coloring. And I found a place to get my nitrogen in my shock recharged.

Name:  IMAG0239.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  158.4 KB

cleaned up, scuffed down and painted my fork carriers today.

Name:  IMAG0243.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  304.0 KB

pic to show the fork cartridges still waiting for the upper tubes to get back. Cant wait to put the front end back together.

Name:  IMAG0245.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  160.2 KB

Also cleaned up a bit more parts today as well, the suspension knuckle and radiators among other parts.

Got my spring back from powder today, DAMN i'm impressed. this thing looks brand new!

Name:  IMAG0242.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  142.6 KB
It received a new seal head and fresh 5w oil along with 142lb of nitrogen.

Comments, Critiques, Suggestions?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  IMAG0247.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  215.3 KB

threw the shock on, looks pretty awesome huh?

Still waiting on the upper fork tubes to come back from anodizing... (GRRRRR!!!)

Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

bad ***..... looks good man.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Way to go! Looking great!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah nice! Looks to be keeping you busy during the cold days.

Quick Reply: Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto