Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Moab 4-27 thru 5-12 (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/moab-4-27-thru-5-12-a-35153/)

TNC 03-24-2011 02:59 AM

Moab 4-27 thru 5-12

1 Attachment(s)
I'm heading out for my annual trip to Moab next month with the mighty KLX300S.:D

I'm just throwing this out if anyone is interested in riding out there. I'll be camping out in the BLM land but can hook up with anyone who's moteling or campgrounding. For those who haven't been out there but always wanted to, I'm extremely familiar with the area and all the logistics to make getting around and what to ride quite easy. A trip like this can be relatively cheap, as camping can be free. Moab has a great grocery store and other places for any essentials. Gas is the biggest expense if you work it the way I do, but unless you're driving a '61 Cadillac limo, when the gas bill is tallied up, it's not that bad even at these prices. The KLX works great out there, so c'mon.:D

Blackheart58 03-24-2011 03:03 AM

I'll see if I can swing by one of those two weekends. It would be nice to put a face to the name, as well as have the opportunity to learn a few more things about these nice bikes!

TNC 03-24-2011 03:25 AM

B58, bring it on out. It'll be a blast.

dan888 03-24-2011 03:32 AM

Lucky dog(s) :(
Have fun , stay safe.

TNC 03-24-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by dan888 (Post 441126)
Lucky dog(s) :(
Have fun , stay safe.

Be safe? Like this guy riding in the Moab area?:D
YouTube - Rabbit Valley/McInnis Canyon Dirtbike Accident

ol'klx-er 03-24-2011 04:01 AM

DON'T repeat DON'T do that!!!!!
Spoiler alert: don't scroll down if you don't want to know more.

I've seen that on another site, it ended quite well as far as minimal damage

dan888 03-24-2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 441130)
Be safe? Like the last time I went riding in the Moab area?:D

LOL When did you get a helmet cam T&C ??
:D

Crazy video, Time for new underwear after that day!!!

Dan

Guido 03-25-2011 02:21 AM

T,

I'm actually going to be down in Green River over the weekend of April 30 - May 2. I'll be camping with a bunch of river runners, bluegrass pickers, and motorcycle riders. We'll be at Swazys Beach, about 9 miles up the river from the town of Green River. Maybe you ought to think about riding up. The route up from Moab to Green River has some pretty entertaining riding - tons of trails and roads and some bona fide sand dunes (White Wash Sand Dunes - google them). It's also a bit of a route finding adventure. I've never actually ridden all the way through on the dirt. I'm pretty sure the Crystal Geyser Jeep Trail goes all the way through. Check that out. It's that or fifty miles of slab. Booo. If you're game to make a day of it you'll be rewarded with some great camping and a fun party. If I can figure out a way (more time off work) I could meet up and ride with you. The area south of Green River is getting more attention as being a cool place to ride. I think you would dig it.

TNC 03-25-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Guido (Post 441204)
T,

I'm actually going to be down in Green River over the weekend of April 30 - May 2. I'll be camping with a bunch of river runners, bluegrass pickers, and motorcycle riders. We'll be at Swazys Beach, about 9 miles up the river from the town of Green River. Maybe you ought to think about riding up. The route up from Moab to Green River has some pretty entertaining riding - tons of trails and roads and some bona fide sand dunes (White Wash Sand Dunes - google them). It's also a bit of a route finding adventure. I've never actually ridden all the way through on the dirt. I'm pretty sure the Crystal Geyser Jeep Trail goes all the way through. Check that out. It's that or fifty miles of slab. Booo. If you're game to make a day of it you'll be rewarded with some great camping and a fun party. If I can figure out a way (more time off work) I could meet up and ride with you. The area south of Green River is getting more attention as being a cool place to ride. I think you would dig it.

Yes, there is some good stuff in that area. I've gone to Crystal Geyser and some other nearby places around there. On White Wash, I'm not so keen on the KLX there. It's not a great sand bike. Running into some of the dirt riders in town who've gone or are headed out there, I see the frequent paddle tire attached to some of them. Still, lots of other good stuff out there.

Guido 03-25-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 441209)
Yes, there is some good stuff in that area. I've gone to Crystal Geyser and some other nearby places around there. On White Wash, I'm not so keen on the KLX there. It's not a great sand bike. Running into some of the dirt riders in town who've gone or are headed out there, I see the frequent paddle tire attached to some of them. Still, lots of other good stuff out there.

Ahh, so you've been up that way. I guess it's a bit more well known that I thought it was. Nevertheless if you have a mind to journey north you'll have someone to camp with. And I agree about the KLX in the dunes. I ventured into them and didn't make it to far. As much rider as bike though.

mel brooks 03-25-2011 12:36 PM

Nice vid there TNC. Glad that didn't happen on the trip I took to Moab last year.

I'd love to go back this year but the new bike purchase shot a hole in my travel budget.

PS:
Hi Guido!

TNC 03-25-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mel brooks (Post 441220)
Nice vid there TNC. Glad that didn't happen on the trip I took to Moab last year.

I'd love to go back this year but the new bike purchase shot a hole in my travel budget.

PS:
Hi Guido!

Mel, now that's just all wrong. You get the new bikes to go out and travel more. What's the deal?:D

Hey, how are your mods to your KLX going? Did everything shake out satisfactorily?

deej 03-25-2011 03:01 PM

Sounds like another Epic Trip! Of course we need a good ride report for the collection. :)

TNC 03-25-2011 03:36 PM

deej, you'd like the Moab area. It's a clean place with little mud and only some dust to deal with. You'd only have to spend a half hour or so every evening in camp cleaning up your bike.:D

mel brooks 03-25-2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 441226)
Mel, now that's just all wrong. You get the new bikes to go out and travel more. What's the deal?:D

Hey, how are your mods to your KLX going? Did everything shake out satisfactorily?

Well, it's not just the new KLX SF. It's the pending 331/351 kit to the KLX also. :D

I'll let ya know how it works out....

Hope y'all have a blast. Would love to be there again this year.

redpillar 03-26-2011 12:27 AM

Now that looks like fun, what will the weather be like around then? Maybe next year. I have been think about heading down there with my family.

TNC 03-26-2011 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by redpillar (Post 441285)
Now that looks like fun, what will the weather be like around then? Maybe next year. I have been think about heading down there with my family.

Weather is almost always good that time of year...not too warm, not too cool.

Guido 03-26-2011 03:30 AM

TNC, I honestly want to tempt you up north but I can understand the attraction of staying around Moab. However I will put in a plug for someday traveling a bit further west and visiting the San Rafael Swell, if you haven't already. It's about 100 miles by slab from Moab and pretty much totally primitive camping, but the riding and scenery is oh so good. Fewer people too.

TNC 03-26-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Guido (Post 441295)
TNC, I honestly want to tempt you up north but I can understand the attraction of staying around Moab. However I will put in a plug for someday traveling a bit further west and visiting the San Rafael Swell, if you haven't already. It's about 100 miles by slab from Moab and pretty much totally primitive camping, but the riding and scenery is oh so good. Fewer people too.

Definitely great stuff all around. I've been down around Hite's crossing and Fry Canyon, and there's an amazing amount of cool stuff down there too. I've had 4 KLR600/650's over the years and have ridden all manner of stuff from SoCal deserts to Southern Utah...and probably only scratched the surface. I haven't done the Swell proper but have ridden west of Hankesville and Caineville. Utah has to be my favorite place. I do Colorado for a couple of weeks in August every year and it's great, but Utah is it for me.

Guido 03-26-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mel brooks (Post 441220)

PS:
Hi Guido!

Hey there Mel! Jeez, how did I miss your greeting? But I did. Mr Tunnel Vision here. Boy I'd sure like to ride with you guys again but we just live so far apart! Maybe I can get some of these lazy ass Utard bikers to pick up and make the journey east with me for some real woods riding. Every time I'm back your way (upstate New York, actually) I feel like I'm in the jungle. But alas, money, and especially time, is tight. Or at least spoken for. Good luck with that 351 kit. I have one sitting in my garage too just waiting for Mr Too Many Irons In The Fire to get at it.

Sorry for the thread jack TN. Back to dreams of Moab.

IDRIDR 03-28-2011 03:27 AM

TNC:
We're trying to squeeze in on the May 6-8 weekend. We'll be camping, and the free BLM camp is spot on for our liking. This looks like 8 to 9 hours from Boise. The prelim plan is leave Thursday early afternoon, ride Friday and Saturday, and Sunday if we can get the time off. I've never been there, but the mule owner has.

TNC 03-28-2011 03:45 AM

Let's definitely try to hookup for some riding and maybe even camp in the same area. Let me know as time approaches. You'll love it.

Oldad 05-27-2015 01:24 PM

Suggestions

A few of us Illinois boys are planning to be at Moab starting June 15th, so will not be able to hook up with you all.

I've been there a few years ago mountain biking and one other guy has done a few days jeeping there earlier this year.

Needless to say, I didn't even scratch the surface of what's there to ride on my bicycle.

My bud did the White Rim trail in his jeep and said it ought to be decent on a motorcycle.

Any suggestions for us flat landers? (We actually have hills, but they're small compared to the western mountains.)

I'm currently running Kenda Trackmasters front and rear on my KLX250 which work well here on our sometimes muddy local trails. I'm wondering, though, how well they'll do on the varied Moab surfaces, guessing they might be an advantage on sandy areas, but wondering if they'll be a liability on the slick rock.

The Kenda 270 does okay on local trails until you encounter mud, but great on paved surfaces and dry dirt.

Can you recommend either of these tires for the Moab trails?

We're planning to camp at Moab and do day trips, but might camp one night on the White Rim Trail.

TNC 05-27-2015 02:07 PM

Oldad, our post was back in 2011. On tires, the Trakmasters will work well out there. You'll need those knobbies for the sand in the area, and just about anything will stick on the slickrock. I wouldn't recommend the 270 for the sand.

White Rim is a great ride and easily done for a day ride on a dirtbike. You probably won't be able to spend the night because you have to have a permit. Those permits are usually gone well in advance...many months usually. Check with the BLM office in Moab to be sure.

Do you have the Lat 40 map for this area? Pick one up when you arrive if not:

Classic Moab Trails | Latitude 40 Maps

For rides I'd recommend 7-Mile Rim...Hurrah Pass...Chicken Corners...Gemini Bridges with its many fun off-shoot trails...Gold Bar Rim...Poison Spider...and many more.

Eric B 05-28-2015 04:09 AM

Moab has some of the most fun riding I've done.
Went a couple years ago(but on a lighter 2 smoker), and used a half worn knobbie.
Traction was not an issue on the rocks, it spun a lot in the sand by the end of the week.
The trail out to Monitor & Merrimac buttes is a fun loop.
Slick rock is a must do, and nearby is Fins & Things.
Sovereign Trails network is wonderful single track.
Trials type, rocky "step ups" are plenty. Fun on a light bike, the Klx might be a bit less nimble with its extra weight. ADV rider had a thread with a good description of some trails. Do a google search for "trails at Moab", it should turn up something.

TNC 05-28-2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eric B (Post 520819)
Moab has some of the most fun riding I've done.
Went a couple years ago(but on a lighter 2 smoker), and used a half worn knobbie.
Traction was not an issue on the rocks, it spun a lot in the sand by the end of the week.
The trail out to Monitor & Merrimac buttes is a fun loop.
Slick rock is a must do, and nearby is Fins & Things.
Sovereign Trails network is wonderful single track.
Trials type, rocky "step ups" are plenty. Fun on a light bike, the Klx might be a bit less nimble with its extra weight. ADV rider had a thread with a good description of some trails. Do a google search for "trails at Moab", it should turn up something.

I don't know, Eric...I don't think I'd recommend Slickrock trail for most riders, and especially on a KLX. Doable?...of course...but I think most will find Slickrock a scary, off camber, steep challenge as opposed to riding it on a mountainbike. I'm not dissin' oldad's skill, I don't really know him, but you have to be a really good rider to navigate a few of the crux spots on Slickrock with a dirtbike. Trials riders seem to have more fun on Slickrock.

The same might be said of two or three spots on Sovreign. Overall that trail is a hoot, but as you know it has some crux spots that will get your attention. Like many of the true singletrack trails in the Moab area, overall they are challenging fun and a great ride. Some of them contain only 2 or 3 crux spots that will stop many riders on the wrong bike. Just throwing that out for consideration.

Oldad 05-28-2015 05:34 PM

Timeless

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 520793)
Oldad, our post was back in 2011. On tires, the Trakmasters will work well out there. You'll need those knobbies for the sand in the area, and just about anything will stick on the slickrock. I wouldn't recommend the 270 for the sand.

White Rim is a great ride and easily done for a day ride on a dirtbike. You probably won't be able to spend the night because you have to have a permit. Those permits are usually gone well in advance...many months usually. Check with the BLM office in Moab to be sure.

Do you have the Lat 40 map for this area? Pick one up when you arrive if not:

Classic Moab Trails | Latitude 40 Maps

For rides I'd recommend 7-Mile Rim...Hurrah Pass...Chicken Corners...Gemini Bridges with its many fun off-shoot trails...Gold Bar Rim...Poison Spider...and many more.

Yes, I realized it was 2011 after posting the reply, but figured that not much has changed at Moab since then.

Thanks for the info.

TNC 05-29-2015 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Oldad (Post 520835)
Yes, I realized it was 2011 after posting the reply, but figured that not much has changed at Moab since then.

Thanks for the info.

You're wrong, oldad. Obama was saying just yesterday that due to global warming, income inequality, and conservative hate speech, the rocks and canyons of Moab are shrinking in size at a rate of at least 3 feet a year. In another 10 years it will look like Kansas. I saw it on MSNBC.:eek:

Eric B 05-29-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by TNC (Post 520832)
I don't know, Eric...I don't think I'd recommend Slickrock trail for most riders, and especially on a KLX. Doable?...of course...but I think most will find Slickrock a scary, off camber, steep challenge as opposed to riding it on a mountainbike. I'm not dissin' oldad's skill, I don't really know him, but you have to be a really good rider to navigate a few of the crux spots on Slickrock with a dirtbike. Trials riders seem to have more fun on Slickrock.

The same might be said of two or three spots on Sovreign. Overall that trail is a hoot, but as you know it has some crux spots that will get your attention. Like many of the true singletrack trails in the Moab area, overall they are challenging fun and a great ride. Some of them contain only 2 or 3 crux spots that will stop many riders on the wrong bike. Just throwing that out for consideration.

Good points, TNC. I was on a KDX, which was perfect for the trails out there - short wheelbase, low gearing, lighter weight. Very confidence inspiring.
I recall an easier 4 wheel route through the Slick Rock system. Perhaps that could be used, to at least get a taste of Slick Rock.
Gemini & Gold Bar are good calls.