Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Looking for another bike (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/looking-another-bike-10371/)

Snal 03-15-2007 02:27 AM

Looking for another bike

Well...somebody came along with a full wallet,and liked my old Ironhead Sportster more than I did....so I'm in the market for another dual sport bike so that my son can ride with me. I'd like to find a nice 02-06 XR650L or KLR650. I know that either one of them are a bit heavy for me in the woods, but they'd be much nicer for long hauls and occasional trail riding.
Ping me if you see a deal within 200 miles of WNC, or have other suggestions.
Found a 2003 XR650L w/1500 miles for 3k....but the dude isn't returning my calls....it may have been sold already.

Rusty FJ 03-15-2007 02:30 AM

RE: Looking for another bike

i would go with the klr, its liquid cooled, large tank, Bullet proof litterally;), and has a ton of aftermarket parts availible. course that XR is more off road according to Rider magazine.

03-15-2007 02:51 AM

nah, the XR is a better all around bike imo. it's good on the road and is also a dirt bike. the KLR, let's face it, is an ancient dinosaur that needed to go on a diet the day it was born. but if you want to stick to kawi, try and find an older KLX 650. those are pretty rare but better imo than the KLR. that bike's just so ugly imo. congrats on selling the old hog though. i'm selling mine this spring.

onestarr99 03-15-2007 03:18 AM

I would go with the Honda 650. It is much better off road and still pretty good on road. I would not rule out DRZ 400 if you plan to do more off road than on. I know that manyhere don't like the DRZ but the magazines always give itgood reviews!

bryantjt 03-15-2007 03:48 AM

Check the Flea Market forum on www.advrider.com I think there was an XR down that way either on the first or second page.

tremor38 03-15-2007 12:03 PM

Sorry, but when I think of 'bullet proof' the XR650 is the first bike that comes to mind. No way I would choose a KLR over that...even the new one.

Snal 03-15-2007 02:12 PM

The XR got gone...that was probably a deal. I've found an 04 KLX400 (not exactly what I was looking for) for a decent price. Ad says it's been ridden 25 miles and it looks like it by the pics, but I can't find any info for the 400 on NADA.

FiveOMaster 03-15-2007 03:39 PM

I think the KLX400 is just a DRZ400 with green plastics. Correct me if im wrong but I think thats right.

cwgoff 03-15-2007 04:03 PM

Snal, regardless of which bike you choose, you need to be keeping a close eye on Craigslist. If you have not used Craigslist before, it is a free online classified service that is set up to serve regional areas, usually specific cities. The good thing is that it is active enough that there are a lot of listings for just about anything you want. Each city page has a motorcycle section. Since you are in the Asheville, NC area, you should be checking the following pages:

asheville.craigslist.com/mcy
winstonsalem.craigslist.com/mcy
charlotte.craigslist.com/mcy

Withing about 30 seconds on the Asheville page I noticed that there is a DRZ400 and a Honda 350 dual sport available in your area. If you are patient, you will find exactly the bike you want there.

Good luck. I will keep an eye out for some in this area as well.

Chris

Snal 03-15-2007 04:22 PM

Thanks Chris...I usually check there several times per day...that's where I found the 400 (Charlotte)...but he's a bit high on the price I think.

Do you happen to know if this kind of bike (KLX300/400) can be made street legal in NC?