LED 1157 tail/brake bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default LED 1157 tail/brake bulb

I am looking for a LED 1157 tail/brake bulb. Has anyone found one that is brighter than the stock bulb?
I don't want to replace the entire tail light assembly, just the bulb.
Craig

Old 12-24-2011, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I have one waiting to be installed. Plan is to take a picture with stock bulb then LED bulb. I'll have the camera in manual mode so I can get a true comparison. Changing the bulb sounds fairly involved, rear fender assembly has to come off. I should get this "minor" project off the list in the next couple of weeks.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Good topic. I've been wanting to do this but there are dozens of different led 1157 bulb designs out there. Some I've seen in use didn't impress...

Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I tried one a couple of years ago, the stock bulb was 4 times as bright, so I took it back out. Maybe they have improved the technology and in fact they probably have if flashlights are a good indicator.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:13 PM

I recently purchased one from Smart Flashing LED Brake Lights – Safe, Intelligent Braking | SafeLightStore.com. It is supposed to have a microchip that makes the brake light flash when you are making a sudden stop for safety. The light itself is about the same as the stocker as far as brightness goes. I can't tell that much of an improvement if any. Another thing is that the LEDs are all facing the rear of the bike and red, therefore there is very little light provided toward the bottom of the tail light (clear part) which is used to illuminate the license plate.

Probably would not spend the money on it again, but I am keeping it for the flashing/safety reason.

Just thought I would share.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andysallen
I recently purchased one from Smart Flashing LED Brake Lights – Safe, Intelligent Braking | SafeLightStore.com. It is supposed to have a microchip that makes the brake light flash when you are making a sudden stop for safety. The light itself is about the same as the stocker as far as brightness goes. I can't tell that much of an improvement if any. Another thing is that the LEDs are all facing the rear of the bike and red, therefore there is very little light provided toward the bottom of the tail light (clear part) which is used to illuminate the license plate.

Probably would not spend the money on it again, but I am keeping it for the flashing/safety reason.

Just thought I would share.
Def post some pics or vid of that! I love flashing brake lights. Plus alot safer. You could always buy the tag bolts that have built in LED's in them for a tag light. Heard good things on them.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Holy cow, $100 for a 1157 bulb! Would be worth it though if it kept you from being rear ended just once...

Picked up one of these at wallyworld. Blazer International Going to mount it above or below the license plate as an extra brake light.

Last edited by DYNOBOB; 12-25-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The reason I'm looking for a LED bulb, is that I bought this brake light flasher, and after installing it, I think it would work better with a LED bulb. An incandescent bulb just doesn't give that attention getting strobe effect the way an LED light does.

Smart Car BRAKE LIGHT FLASHER BLINKER 36 Modes !! | eBay

Craig

Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Happy Trails and Dual Star both sell a flashing LED brake/tail light. It's listed for the KLR, but was a direct fit in my '06 KLX. Don't know if it fits in the '09+.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default led brake light bulbs

I purchased double days ago from a wholesale online store. look goods. NOw i'm going to replace the old one with new one.Maybe it will be great.

Last edited by emilychung; 06-27-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: be more perfect

Quick Reply: LED 1157 tail/brake bulb