Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Kx250 fork swap help! (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/kx250-fork-swap-help-43321/)

bennythejet33 08-25-2015 04:24 AM

Kx250 fork swap help!

I have read the planet klx article a dozen times and still don't know exactly what to do/ need. I know the years of the tubes that fit in the stock triple clamps. I have a 2006 klx250s and found a clean pair of 94 kx250 forks. What do I need to mount the wheel, brake, and speedometer? I am new to all of those so thanks in advance for any help!

TNC 08-25-2015 01:29 PM

Did you get the front wheel, brake rotor, and brake caliper with the KX front fork?

bennythejet33 08-25-2015 01:40 PM

I have not bought them yet as I was not sure what all was needed. No, it is just the forks can I use everything from the klx? Will 91 kx forks fit? I found a rolling frame with good wheels and suspension as well for $175. Thanks again!

Brewster 08-25-2015 03:26 PM

If you want to use the KLX wheel, speedo and axel, you will need the axel adaptors described on HOW TO INSTALL KX-250 FORKS ON THE KLX-300

The brake and speedo will mount right up. You will have to check the fork spring length of the 2006 KLX 250 and compare that to the KLX300 fork springs to see if the fork spring spacers would be the same length. Do you already have fork springs for your weight?

The 91 KX forks should also fit with the added benefit that the triple clamps will also fit.

Ride on
Brewster

bennythejet33 08-25-2015 04:16 PM

Ok so maybe the 91 frame with the wheels and suspension would be better. Then I have an extra set of wheels to put street tires on as well. No I don't have springs for my weight yet. Is there much of a difference between the 91 and 94 kx250 forks? My stock forks have some pretty good Knicks in it so I am lookin for some alternative options to buying a set of new klx forks. Will I have to get new springs for the kx forks? I am about 175 and am a beginner rider.

Brewster 08-25-2015 08:40 PM

I don't know if there are differences between the 91 and 94 forks. Possibly different shims in the valving.

I recommend .44kg fork springs for your weight. Using the KLX springs with spacers keeps the front end geometry the same.

Brewster

bennythejet33 10-02-2015 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 523755)
I don't know if there are differences between the 91 and 94 forks. Possibly different shims in the valving.

I recommend .44kg fork springs for your weight. Using the KLX springs with spacers keeps the front end geometry the same.

Brewster

Where do I get the spacers and how do I compare the spring lengths? And the axel adapters, who has those? Thanks fellas... Sorry about all of the questions, maybe one day I can help someone else out on these forums ;)

Brewster 10-02-2015 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bennythejet33 (Post 524756)
Where do I get the spacers and how do I compare the spring lengths? And the axel adapters, who has those? Thanks fellas... Sorry about all of the questions, maybe one day I can help someone else out on these forums ;)

All of the dimensions for the spacers and axel adaptors are in the KX to KLX fork write up: HOW TO INSTALL KX-250 FORKS ON THE KLX-300

The guy that wrote the article can machine them for you, $30 for the fork spacers and $40 for the axel adaptors. Oh, by the way, I wrote the article.

Ride on
Brewster

bennythejet33 10-02-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 524758)
All of the dimensions for the spacers and axel adaptors are in the KX to KLX fork write up: HOW TO INSTALL KX-250 FORKS ON THE KLX-300

The guy that wrote the article can machine them for you, $30 for the fork spacers and $40 for the axel adaptors. Oh, by the way, I wrote the article.

Ride on
Brewster

Haha well I guess I will probably be purchasing some of those spacers from you then. I still haven't been able to confirm the length of the 06 klx250 spring length yet. It seems I have been searching for hours to try and figure it out. Any suggestions on where to find that information (since race tech doesn't have it)?

Brewster 10-02-2015 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bennythejet33 (Post 524759)
Haha well I guess I will probably be purchasing some of those spacers from you then. I still haven't been able to confirm the length of the 06 klx250 spring length yet. It seems I have been searching for hours to try and figure it out. Any suggestions on where to find that information (since race tech doesn't have it)?

Are the springs in your klx250s the correct weight for your weight, riding style, and terrain? If not, get springs for the KLX300 to install in the KX forks. That way, the length of the spacers I make will match up.

What is the front wheel travel spec. for your bike? If the klx250s springs are shorter than the KLX springs and I made a spacer for them, you could end up with coil bind....not enough distance between the spring windings when compressed.

You should also consider getting your shock reshimmed and get the correct spring for your weight.

Ride on
Brewster