Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   KLX351 & Yamaha WR250x Comparison (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/klx351-yamaha-wr250x-comparison-38900/)

jckid 09-17-2012 05:02 PM

KLX351 & Yamaha WR250x Comparison

Well I finally had the chance to ride my '11 WR250x and my '09 KLX351 back to back yesterday. Here is my take:

The fit and finish on the WR seems superior to the KLX and it looks more modern. The KLX felt like a moped when it was new and was still a 250. The WR feels less moped-like in stock form. I noticed right away that if you shift down and rev up the WR, it actually pulls pretty good at higher RPM's. But my KLX (now with 351) pulls harder and has better throttle response than the WR. It has more torque, and you can tell. But once up to highway speeds the WR rides better. This may be partly due to the smooth tires vs. knobbies, but I think there's a difference in gearing. 6th gear on the WR feel almost like overdrive, where the KLX makes me wish for another gear. Both of my bikes are running stock gearing right now. I'm guessing top speed will be higher on the WR. Neither bike has much vibration in the bars, but the KLX has more vibration felt through the tank, seat, and footpegs...not terrible, but much more than the WR. For off-road riding, the KLX better suits my riding style. It has better low end grunt and is more luggable than the WR. The power delivery at slow speeds is also better. I think the off-idle slow speed fuel injection stumble on the WR might be a challenge for me off-road...I'm a slow rider though. A throttle tamer might help.

My original plan was to try to get down to one "do it all" bike...the WR. I was going to get a set of R wheels/tires and have the best of both worlds. But the more I thought about it, the less convinced I was. I'm short (5' 4") and to run R wheels I would need to lower the bike and cut the seat to get one foot down. But then I wouldn't really want it lower when running in X mode. And the kickstand would probably be too long in X mode if the bike were lowered. So to be totally happy when converting from X to R, I would have to swap wheels, install or remove lowering link, adjust fork height, change from low seat to tall seat, maybe change out the chain depending on sprocket selection, and possibly swap kickstands. This just seems like too much trouble, so I've decided that I will keep the KLX and use it as my 90% dirt/10% street bike and use the WR for adventure travel and 90% street/10% dirt.

Here's a pic of both bikes for comparison:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X...0/CIMG7793.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T...727_192832.jpg

Subasaki 09-17-2012 05:07 PM

now its time to compare the Honda crf250l to the klx

jckid 09-17-2012 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Subasaki (Post 482194)
now its time to compare the Honda crf250l to the klx

Well I can compare a Honda CRF230L, but I think everyone knows there is no comparison at all. ;) I did get to see the new CRF250L in person. It was actually a lot better looking than I expected. The initial reviews seem pretty good. The main weakness seems to be the lack of adjustable suspension. The price is definitely right though.

go cytocis 09-17-2012 08:02 PM

Interesting comparo! *My KLXSF is still in 250 form, but I have ridden both on & off road with WRs, and I agree with your assessment that the KLX is better suited to lower-speed off-road while the WR shines on pavement.

I am actually shocked at how much faster accelerating the WR is than the KLX on the street; it's literally NO contest!

Typographical errors by*iPhone

RobG 09-17-2012 08:29 PM

I'm so glad I didn't get the WR250R. The day I got my KLX, I had already been approved for the WR250R. Went to the dealer to check it out. I couldn't even get a leg over it it was so tall. And the "premium unleaded only" sticker on the tank sealed the deal. Didn't want to have to find 91 octane when riding in BFE (e.g. Death Valley). So I went to another dealer that had a green 2010 KLX250S and bought it.

Now I just need to hurry up and get the 351 kit, and finish the suspension!

Rob

jckid 09-17-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by RobG (Post 482199)
I'm so glad I didn't get the WR250R. The day I got my KLX, I had already been approved for the WR250R. Went to the dealer to check it out. I couldn't even get a leg over it it was so tall. And the "premium unleaded only" sticker on the tank sealed the deal. Didn't want to have to find 91 octane when riding in BFE (e.g. Death Valley). So I went to another dealer that had a green 2010 KLX250S and bought it.

Now I just need to hurry up and get the 351 kit, and finish the suspension!

Rob

It's no issue getting 91 in Death Valley, but the price is totally outrageous. Furnace Creek has premium at the Chevron, and Panaming Springs does too, but Stovepipe Wells only has regular.

The 351 kit is worth every penny. I really can't believe how much it wakes up the bike. Of course 100cc is a big difference. But the best part is that it's an increase clear across the powerband. Keep in mind that it does take a few miles to break in though. The difference wasn't as pronounced when it was first installed. It took some riding before it really woke up. I really enjoy using the throttle to kick out the back tire to help me make turns in the dirt. I couldn't do that when it was a 250.

Blackheart58 09-17-2012 11:32 PM

Nice original post. My buddy has the Yamaha, but, the dirt version with knobby tires like my KLX. Even in 331 trim, the KLX is better at low rpm grunt. The Yamaha is nice, but, it needs to be wrung out more in order to produce good power. Of course, if you could boost it up to a 350, and still have a fuel injection system that works...well, you'd still be up to twice what a KLX costs! :eek:

Sharan 09-18-2012 12:11 AM

The same sentiment here. Managed to get decent test ride on both stock bikes within day apart. Yammy is really smooth scooter, suspension wasn't stellar but felt slightly more composed. Would need to be lowered a bit for me. Liked to live in high RPM's to pull. Throttle felt snatchy, but it could be that particular bike. Dunno.

KLX won me over as previously stated here in low speed handling in 2nd and 3rd gaear where I knew my bike will be spending most of the time. I'm not trial blaster, I prefer tractoring over the terrain. KLX ergos felt better, the cockpit is better IMO than WRR's.
And I knew about BB kit availability that could be had with money saved in asking price difference (and a quite bit more in farkles). See my sig, I'm still well below the Yammy second hand price with these extras. Got the green bike, done, no regrets so far.

Most likely at the same time next year my sig would read KLX351.

As for Honda vs KLX - in dirt, 190 pound rider? I don't believe it will be a close contents.

RimBender 09-18-2012 12:56 AM

fwiw the 06 and 07 have that overdrive top gear like the yam. Not sure why they changed that on the newer klx, other than stock they couldn't pull that gear.

IDRIDR 09-18-2012 03:10 AM

I ride my brother's 01 WR250R now and then, and really like getting back on the KLX. Agree with the above: the Yam likes to rip when the rpms get up there, but it's not as fun to tractor around on it. It also has a terrible flat spot in the carb that could probably be worked out, but it's been in the shop several times for it and still not right. With my KLX's upgraded suspension there's no contest which one I'd rather be on.