klx stock header metal ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default klx stock header metal ?

the header is steel right?

I called a muffler shop and there going to help me weld on a bung hole so I can setup a Wideband 02 sensor ...and I just want to make sure they can weld on it
my magnet pick up tool always gets caught on the header so I assume its steel ...

the guy said "make sure its not metals like aluminum..." not sure if that even exists but just want to make sure the exhaust is steel

Last edited by horror_fan; 01-04-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it's steel.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

If your looking for more power in the future you might want to have that bung welded onto a better/larger inside diameter header like the FMF Powerbomb or Megabomb headers for this bike.
Thet pay both are steel your magnet will be attracted to it.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Could you report back how the weld went? I've got one to weld that I've been meaning to get to. The instructions for the gauge mentions the sensor should be at least 18 inches from the start of the head pipe (don't quote me on that number). That put it pretty close the end. So I've been contemplating if I should just weld it to the muffler instead.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Could you report back how the weld went? I've got one to weld that I've been meaning to get to. The instructions for the gauge mentions the sensor should be at least 18 inches from the start of the head pipe (don't quote me on that number). That put it pretty close the end. So I've been contemplating if I should just weld it to the muffler instead.
you got the aem one ? I was actually worried about that same thing.

ill def look at it first and if I do the weld ill make a video and post some pics.
on the stock header you could maybe put the sensor 12" down the pipe.

I also noticed that the 2018 klx250 has the 02 sensor on the pipe of second half of the exhaust...

the muffler might not give as accurate results.

Last edited by horror_fan; 01-06-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

This is going to be quite a show - " Horror_Fan and his AFR meter" - I'm stocking up on popcorn... I truly hope you can find some effective method of making sense out of, and determining a course of action, from glancing at a meter while riding.. Now if you could record AFR over time while riding, you might be able to set up a series of tests for certain areas of the fueling curve... You are certainly going to have to become an expert at how the CVK fuels various engine operations before you can make any determinations regarding tuning from even the best test procedure..

I will help you.. or try to..

I'm ready for the show to begin...

Last edited by Klxster; 01-07-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horror_fan
you got the aem one ? I was actually worried about that same thing.

ill def look at it first and if I do the weld ill make a video and post some pics.
on the stock header you could maybe put the sensor 12" down the pipe.

I also noticed that the 2018 klx250 has the 02 sensor on the pipe of second half of the exhaust...

the muffler might not give as accurate results.
Some vids/pics on your progress would be great. Thanks. Yeah, I've got an AEM. Ever since installing the big bore and aftermarket fuel controller (EFI Bike) I was hoping to get an idea of where I'm sitting AFR-wise. For now I've just been going by feel (basically per the instruction of the EJK unit) but have always been worried I may be overly rich. There's a window of variability in the settings where the bike will run fine. Anyway, to the bung mounting...yeah, the EFI bikes have the bung right before the muffler. Unfortunately the AEM uses a larger size sensor so can't just use that bung. I was hoping to mount it on the head pipe so it could be used with my stock muffler when I occasionally swap them.

Attached Thumbnails klx stock header metal ?-img_2968.jpg  
Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I think swapping out your aftermarket unit for a stock muffler is going to make it go way rich.

It will be real interesting to see if fan's moto is running in 1 year.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have a standard wide band o2 I would put it in the beginning part of a fmf muffler. If in the header the o2 is going to restrict the flow to a soda straw.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
This is going to be quite a show - " Horror_Fan and his AFR meter" - I'm stocking up on popcorn... I truly hope you can find some effective method of making sense out of, and determining a course of action, from glancing at a meter while riding.. Now if you could record AFR over time while riding, you might be able to set up a series of tests for certain areas of the fueling curve... You are certainly going to have to become an expert at how the CVK fuels various engine operations before you can make any determinations regarding tuning from even the best test procedure..

I will help you.. or try to..

I'm ready for the show to begin...

sure buddy ... just leave a few more annoying pri^ck comments and ill have the videos posted up right away ...
c*ck sucker honestly speaking ... I just want to point out the fact you've been repeating yourself for like 100 posts now and its getting old...
who gives AF if I'm new to carb functionality ...why are you so eager to show how much more "knowledgeable" you are.. who gives af, fkn pr!ck

my bike might run like sh^t after ...or it might turn out fine...I might under stand half of the readings or none ....
leave it up to "klxter" the pr!ck to fkn point out all the outcomes...
am Im not allowed you run a A/F mixture meter just to observe how the carb/engine operates?

honestly....ban me already I got all I need ... actually no let me stay I love swimming around in this know it all pr$ck cess pool klx 250s forum section .. its fknc great!

Last edited by horror_fan; 01-09-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: klx stock header metal ?