Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   KLX on right side today and wont start :(( (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/klx-right-side-today-wont-start-8318/)

ntloser 11-30-2006 10:43 AM

RE: KLX on right side today and wont start :((

OMG I just looked at all my crazy posts. I was in a panic. Anyway. It seems to be running like normal. If there was/is gas in the oil, would an oil change fix any damage caused by starting it and running it ? Would the bike run with gas in the oil?

Thanks

MaverickAus 11-30-2006 11:04 AM

Wouldn't hurt to change the oil just in case of contanimants

jellyfish 11-30-2006 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: ntloser

OMG I just looked at all my crazy posts. I was in a panic. Anyway. It seems to be running like normal. If there was/is gas in the oil, would an oil change fix any damage caused by starting it and running it ? Would the bike run with gas in the oil?

Thanks

Nt gas thins out oil and destroys its viscosity. Depending how much gas and how long you ran it would determine the damage.
You posted that when you checked the oil it was low so assuming you topped off the oil to level before starting it I don't think any damage ocurred. See I said "think" given your supplied info. The answer to your question a change of oil will not undo any damage already there it will prevent any further though, so change that oil if you have not done so..... and yes the bike will run with gas in the oil until it seizes for lack of viscosity of the oil that would like metal to metal...

ntloser 11-30-2006 12:04 PM

OK cool. Now that I understand the issue with gas in the oil is viscosity related I feel much better.
i got all the stuff for the oil change from Walmart.. sweet thanks to whoever posted the pic of the 6015 filter from Fram.

Once the oil is drained, is there anyway to tell if gas got into it?

Thanks

ntloser 11-30-2006 12:52 PM

Nevermind. The oil and oil filter reek of gas. Damn. The oil didn't seem to watery or thin.. I hope it is okay. Do I need an engine flush of some kind?

LordVngr 11-30-2006 11:28 PM

Glad to hear you got the bike running again. But the one thing I havent heard is Why the bike was on it side in the First Place. You said parking lot so I assume you live in a apartment. Sounds to me like Some AH decided to dump your bike for ya. I'd be looking for a little payback if I found out who it was but that's just me. Glad everything came out ok.

LV

ntloser 11-30-2006 11:39 PM

It either fell over because of the extreme wind we had , or someone backed into it! The kickstand sits on a small piece of plywood so it doesn't dent the ground. I suspect that may have made it easier to blow over.

I no longer use the piece of plywood and plan on doing another oil change after 10 minutes of running... Just to make sure the oil isn't breaking down due to small traces of gas.

Again kudos to Super Walmart . I was able to get everything i needed to do the oil change at 3 am.

ntloser 12-11-2006 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Glad to hear you got the bike running again. But the one thing I havent heard is Why the bike was on it side in the First Place. You said parking lot so I assume you live in a apartment. Sounds to me like Some AH decided to dump your bike for ya. I'd be looking for a little payback if I found out who it was but that's just me. Glad everything came out ok.

LV
Damn, I guess I missed part of your post. I wonder if someone did dump the bike. [:@] :eek:It was really windy and the plywood I put under the kickstand had the bike standing almost straight up. I have no way to tell for sure. Nothing has happened since.

Luckily the only things I haven't been able to fix is a scratched rear side cover and hand guard. At least I can now change the oil and replace the oil filter in record time and in total darkness.