kickstand switch bypass location(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default kickstand switch bypass location(s)

The other day my wife messed up for the first time by having the kickstand down and taking off. She heard the noise and stopped after she quickly realized her mistake. I told her that I thought it was supposed to kill the engine if that happened and also know many people bypass the switch for engine cutting out annoyances. I looked into it today and the switch tests good and the 2 connectors under the seat are plugged in properly. So, where is another common alternate location to bypass this safety device?
Thanks,
db

edit: spelling [:@]

Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: kickstand switch bypass location(s)

dang bro she's lucky that the KS did'nt dig in and throw her off[&:]sorry im no techy.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

dang bro she's lucky that the KS did'nt dig in and throw her off[&:]sorry im no techy.
Yeah, it was on blacktop too . She was practicing the test course for the motorcycle endorsement and when we were leaving I looked in my rear view mirror and she was stopped so I waitied for her. She said when she took off she heard a loud grinding noise that she never heard before. Anyway, she took the test last week and aced it.
db

Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

She passed? That's awesome man. I wonder how many couples on here ride bikes together? Cool.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

My KLX is bone stock and My kickstand can be down while riding. I never tested the switch but Something is wrong somewhere. I figured it's ok since lot's of people just bypass it anyway.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

She passed? That's awesome man. I wonder how many couples on here ride bikes together? Cool.

Yep! She aced the test. Zero mistakes. Can't say the same for the other guy with the HD. The episode with the kickstand was on the practice course we set up on a new subdivision a mile from the house and happened a few weeks before the test. We printed the test course from somewhere we found it online and we set it up exactly with a tape measure and chalk. We cut tennis ***** in half for the cones. I made her practice but it got to where she wanted to practice. I am glad its done.

I wonder how many other couple ride too. She is my wingman
db

Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

My KLX is bone stock and My kickstand can be down while riding. I never tested the switch but Something is wrong somewhere. I figured it's ok since lot's of people just bypass it anyway.
Well, the switch tests good. I was thinking it may have come that way from the factory too. I was also thinkink a hot shot mechanic can find a shortcut and use a wire splice crimp-on connector for a shortcut without pulling the seat etc..I have the manuals so I will troubleshoot it when I get some spare time. It probably ties into the kill switch one way or another. I guess I need to check her clutch safety switch too We bought it used so although I doubt the last owner modded it, you never know. He was a doctor reliving a chilhood fantasy.

db

Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Check the clutch switch.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Check the clutch switch.
Although I haven't spent much time worrying about this as I was working on *my* bike , I did check the clutch switch and its working. I looked at the repair manual wiring schematics and I am willing to bet the "diode assembly" will end up being the culprit. I will check it with a VOM when I pull the seat again when I feel like messing with it...Here is the info on tha part:
49018 DIODE
49018-1052

I will report back in the future when I test it.
Thanks,
db

Old 04-03-2008, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Most commonly when a diode is bad , it's bad...if this is an ittermittent problem, be sure to check the connections to the diode. just my 2 cents...good luck

Quick Reply: kickstand switch bypass location(s)