Just need a bit of help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Just need a bit of help...

First of all...Hey, I'm brand new to bikes but learning, slowly but surely.

The thing I need a little help or maybe a push or a shove on is DS gear. I'm really looking to get something that protects me adequately while not bending me over and... well, it's all bad from there.

I've been looking at the AFX 39 for a helmet and think that would do alright for me. I bought the bike mostly for commuting purposes but it'll see a bit of dirt here and there. I still need to get a jacket, pants, boots and gloves... Any recommendations?

Also, when is a good time to call the break in period over? I imagine that the manual is going way on the safe side at 1000 miles, or is this about right?

Thanks for all the knowledge so far (12 pages back so far),
Mike

Old 05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!!!

My KLX250 break-in was done at around 30 miles or so. If you're past that already, it's too late to do it right.

Clothing depends heavily on where you live (temps/climate) and where you ride (on/off road). I can't make any recommendations except for what I have, and that's probably not going to fit your riding style/locale... You almost have to try something first, then see if you like it. I *thought* I'd like MX pants, so I bought them. They're "okay", but I'm now leaning towards over-the-boot pants now.

Best I can say is: get a good helmet, gloves, and jacket/pants with some sort of built-in protection.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Just get a mid range motocross helmet and goggles, gloves, regular work boots, and pick up a Dual sport Jacket.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd consider both a street helmet and dirt helmet. I do mainly street riding so I bought a nice Shoei RF-1100 and an O'Neil Series 7 helmet for dirt ($80 from Cycle Gear).

I took it easy on my bike for the first 200 miles. But after an oil change I started to ride it more aggressively. Although I still didn't redline it until after 600 miles.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. Do any of you have any recommendations for a jacket with built in protection for a decent price?

Also, changed the oil at 20 miles and I was extremely surprised at how much metal was in there. Never expected that but I'm glad I did it now.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I think you are dead-on correct in getting the AFX39 or similiar low cost DS helmet. I've had helmets of all kinds and price ranges, and nowdays these relatively low end DS helmets are an amazing value for the quality. I really go places and spend all day making big loops with hardcore off road and miles of 60 mph runs on pavenment...and dirt roads. These DS helmets like the AFX are really good at stopping facial airflow but really good at off road protection. I don't think you'll be sorry.

I'm not much help on the body protection part of your question, as I'm seldom riding my KLX without the full-on body armor and protective riding pants. Some comfortable, protective gloves are a must. I'm also a firm believer in the knee/shin protection, but I don't like the units that fit into the pants. I like the strap-on models from sources like Fox, Answer, etc. Knee and shin impacts are super common on dirt roads, trails, and even pavement slides. Knees are not something you want to take many chances with if you can avoid it.

Lastly, I would at least invest in some low quarter riding boots like those from O'Neal, Thor, and many others. They're not that expensive, and they provide a ton more protection than hiking shoes and such. Plus, they're relatively easy to walk in.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Spine Protector! Either integral to a jacket or stand-alone. Mobility of your legs can be lost in a bike crash without even trying!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

i was willing to spend $$$ on a good jacket, but couldn't find my size or one that fit well...i came across a speed and strength ds jacket...also at clearance price of about $100...speed and strength is known to be worn by stunters, but their ds jackets are not bad...have about 5,000 miles of use on the jacket and i really like it...with the liners removed, it has been fine on 40 degrees temps....has been fine in 100 degree temps (long as i'm moving)....even has a built in camel back water bag...it comes with built in c.e. armor...the back protector is just a pad, so i replaced it with a solid interlocking back armor...

fieldsheer overpants are very plain and simple overpants...but, only has knee guards that i think would shift around in a crash if legs are straight...no hip guard because overpants have zippers on the outside...but, i bought the overpants because it just look good...go one size down if buying fieldsheer overpants...

i've been wearing just standard issue military full leather boots for my riding...

Last edited by ahnh666; 05-31-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Found a FieldSheer Highland for $100 here FieldSheer Highland Jacket - $99.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $279.99

Any opinions, gentlemen? Also, can you add rigid spine guards and better elbow/shoulder protection to most jackets? So many things that I don't know...

Thanks for the patience, gents. I know you get a lot of wet-behind-the-ears newbies asking tons of questions every week. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Mike

Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Bump for any more opinions on this jacket??

Quick Reply: Just need a bit of help...