Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Is it just me, or is the KLX s small bike? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/just-me-klx-s-small-bike-28125/)

cliffsta 05-03-2009 05:20 PM

Is it just me, or is the KLX s small bike?

This is gonna kinda go nowhere so I apologize in advance...

But it just seems to me that the KLX is too small of a bike for me maybe? I've got big bars, with the adapters, and I still feel hunched over... like I'm riding over the front wheel. I'm gonna try rotating the bars back to see if that helps. But beyond that, it just doesn't feel comfortable standing up. Like, I have to bend my knees and arms alot so that I can feel the bike and be comfortable in its center of gravity. Anybody else notice this? I'm only 5'9 barefoot so its not like I'm a giant... would the bars being straight up/down really cause me to feel so forward and big on the bike?

I've gotten so frustrated trail riding lately... I keep crashing and I can't keep up with my dad. Granted he's a badazz, used to race motocross, riding since before I was a twinkle in his eye, but still... I guess its just disheartening. I know I'm better than I was when I got the bike but I'll screw up a section of trail or crash or fly out of the rut in singletrack and plow through the woods, and I just get so disheartened. I can't blame the bike entirely, I mean, yeah i'd never keep up in a straight section with his DRZ or any of the KTMs we might ride with, but sometmes I wonder if a real trails bike would help me get better. Or do I gotta keep sucking the big one and crashing for a while before I get better?

revtor 05-03-2009 05:50 PM

Obivously your dad is a good rider - he's got years of experience on you. I'd say that if he's around your size/weight, have him ride your bike and the two of you can then work on getting it dialed in perfectly. Setting up the suspension is huge and tires are important. After that, it really comes down to practice, and then after a few months wringing the 250's neck, then yeah you might be at the bikes limits.

If you two swap bikes is it the same story? Can he whoop you on the 250?

~Steve

Xerxes 05-03-2009 06:35 PM

Cliffsta,

Sounds to me like you might have some unrealistic expectations. You've had your KLX for what, a year now? And you want to keep up with bigger bikes ridden by guys with tons of experience? Ah, youth......

I'm not surprised to hear that you crash and burn trying to keep up with those guys. First off it sounds like you are trying to ride well past your skill set, and the only way to improve those skills is to.....ride, then ride, maybe ride some more. Would be nice if we could all order the "20 years experience pack" from RMATV but that's not possible. You said it yourself, you're better now than when you first got the bike. And you'll continue to improve as long as you recognize your limits and respect them.

I don't think the size of the bike is a factor at all. Put you on a bigger, faster bike (or mod yours with the big bore kit) and you'll just be going faster when you plant it. This is not a good plan for long term health.

So my advice to you can be summed up in one word - patience. Unfortunately that trait is not common in young men. But you can do it. Right now you are frustrated and in my opinion being overly hard on yourself.

Use the force Luke, keep on riding and improving

Sid Post 05-03-2009 07:21 PM

I will skip the analogies but, there are several.

I crash and burn with better, more experienced riders, on larger and better motorcycles. I have ridden with experienced guys on 300cc KTM 2-smokes and WR-450's. This causes me to ride above my skill level and crash and burn. When I ride much slower at my own pace, I don't crash and burn near as often or near as hard.

To put it simply - YOU ARE RIDING ABOVE YOUR ABILITY.

In my case, these experienced riders can take my motorcycle over the very ground that I crash and burn on. It's rider skill, not the ride, that is holding you back.

If you can't do it on a KLX in good tune, what makes you think a bigger, heavier, more physically demanding motorcycle will help?

Now, I ride until I'm tired and stop. I rest up and then tackle the terrain. I ride much slower then the experienced riders and I crash much less often and more gently. A few years from now, I will be able to ride with the experienced guys. Right now, I need realistic expectations.

cliffsta 05-03-2009 07:32 PM

Well I watch my dad and others ride standing up, and when I stand up I feel awkward and like I'm teetering on the edge of falling over... I have zero trust in these Dunlop tires... I know they have some treadlife left but I'm gonna order some real knobbies after I order my protective gear.

I generally give up trying to keep up with my dad after a few turns. I hate holding everybody up, though. I mean, he's not even trying and I'm balls-to-the-wall, damn near crashing just to keep up most of the time.

I have yet to saddle the DRZ, maybe I'll ask to ride around on it just to see what the rest of the world is like. Sometimes it feels like my bike has too much rebound in it; like it wants to pogo me off... which makes no sense because i'm 190 naked so I'm sure I'm on the heavy side for the bike. I gotta set the sag, maybe I'll do that then play with the clickers...

IDK it just gets incredibly frustrating to always be miles behind the leaders and unable to keep up with my old man.

Brewster 05-03-2009 11:08 PM

Set up the suspension for your weight, riding style, and terrain. If the fork springs in your bike are as soft as in the KLX300, you'll never have good control of the bike.

I find it rather funny to read the posts from guys wanting to do 3rd gear wheelies but never mention improvements on handling.

Ride on
Brewster

jsac 05-03-2009 11:52 PM

personally i have been on this bike for over 3 years now and can tear sh*t up in the woods.. i have yet to feel comfortable standing on this machine.. i think it comes down to design/ergonomics. i rode a wr250 dirtbike last week and was completely amazed at how comfortable and at ease i was standing on this machine.. the bike is nearly the same size... id say its ergonomics.

green242 05-04-2009 12:23 AM

If I were you, I would try some bar risers.
I am about 5'6", and I was really comfortable on the KLX. Mine was the 07' model, but I have even been commented on looking really comfortable standing on that bike. I do belive it says in the specs it is setup for a 150ib rider from stock is it? So the bike seemed to be built for a person my size, and I felt it fit me nice.
You would not be able to ride your dads DRZ any faster I would bet. But start with some bar risers.
I am a pretty inexperienced rider as well, but am DEFINETLY much better than when I first sat on the KLX, without question. Just be consistantly pushing the limits! Within reason of course. Like, I would not be trying to do backflips right off the bat right now, I would start with a jump that I thought was jussstt a hair beyond my comfort level, until I am comfortable with it, then push it further.. You get my point I am pretty sure.
Take it easy on yourself, and I bet if you are still riding the stock tires, that is probably half your frustration level. I would be curious to see how one of these bikes would work with a Trials tire on the rear.

Sid Post 05-04-2009 01:21 AM

Standing on the pegs on a stock bike is bad news. I put KX High bars on my ride and that helped SIGNIFICANTLY! Dealing with the left footpeg being so close to the frame is a whole different issue.

You most likely will find tires do not fix your problem. Spend $65 on a new Pro-Taper bar and get some IMS footpegs or extend the factory ones. I can't believe I waited so long to get new handlebars. They made a huge difference for me standing and I'm only 5'6".

When you are ready for more power, a 351cc big bore and pumper carb will likely equal if not surpass a stock DRZ in terms of power and response because you don't have the extra weight to haul around.

SPKGO 05-04-2009 02:59 AM

CLIFFSTA I would say its a combo of you suspension being to soft for your weight most likely. And your bar angle, this might just be a personal preference thing but id try rotating your bar back a little. I have the same kx high bars no risers and I'm 6'2 and i feel fine standing up. makes me feel like a giant on the little bike but I'm not uncomfortable in the least.