Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Just installed, FMF Q4..... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/just-installed-fmf-q4-36231/)

rlj 08-05-2011 11:28 PM

Just installed, FMF Q4.....

sounds fantastic, especially coming out of 1st and shifting to 2nd. Great sound! My neighbor at the lake will love it! It's not going to irritate him but it will let him know when I'm going by.......:D No more weed eater comments....

One question, when letting off the throttle I hear a few pops (maybe it's backfire???). I guess this means its running a little lean? Is it normal? Is it alright if I do nothing? Should I do something? Thanks in advance!

By the way, thanks for all the replies in my previous posts concerning exhaust, the FMF Q4 was exactly what I was looking for, not too loud but a little meatier.

Here's a pic of the pipe....
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/f0188333.jpg

latshki 08-06-2011 12:37 AM

looks awesome, and I bet it sounds a lot be

If you don't mind me asking, what rack is that, thanks

rlj 08-06-2011 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by latshki (Post 452034)
looks awesome, and I bet it sounds a lot be

Bought it off ebay a few years ago, it was a NOMADIC rack. I think someone mentioned a while ago that he was no longer on EBay selling, however I'm not sure.

Do a google search on Nomadic KLX 250 rack and something should turn up if he's still around......I love the rack. My Kawi back back sits nice back there and it holds a 12-pack perfectly......for the ride home.

BigSky KLX 08-06-2011 03:25 AM

A little bit of snap crackle and pop is normal. As long as you aren't shooting flames out the back it really doesn't hurt anything.

Most of the time you can take a lot of it out by just playing with your fuel mixture screw. Like unscrew it half a turn.

It is almost impossible to get all the pop to go away.

BillMoore 08-06-2011 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by latshki (Post 452034)

The Nomadic rack is available for purchase here:

Welcome to Nomadic Racks

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago, and it is very high quality, takes about 5 minutes to install, and looks great on the bike.

buerkletucson 08-06-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by rlj (Post 452029)
sounds fantastic, especially coming out of 1st and shifting to 2nd. Great sound! My neighbor at the lake will love it! It's not going to irritate him but it will let him know when I'm going by.......:D No more weed eater comments....

Looks sweet!
Unlike another thread with pics, your exhaust tip doesn't point up and looks well below the right turn signal.
I like the look big time! :D

Did you rejet or mod the air box?

Can't wait to get my mods installed this winter during the off season.

rlj 08-06-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by buerkltucson (Post 452054)
Did you rejet or mod the air box?

Did nothing but add the slip-on........

rlj 08-06-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX (Post 452045)
A little bit of snap crackle and pop is normal. As long as you aren't shooting flames out the back it really doesn't hurt anything.

Most of the time you can take a lot of it out by just playing with your fuel mixture screw. Like unscrew it half a turn.

It is almost impossible to get all the pop to go away.

Thanks for the info.....

rlj 08-06-2011 02:44 PM

One thing I noticed when I went out to start her up for a morning ride, it warmed up in like 15 seconds.......with the stock pipe it would take a least a minute and a half. Not sure if it's the pipe that made the difference or the service guy adjusting something.

MSU_Kawi 08-07-2011 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by rlj (Post 452064)
One thing I noticed when I went out to start her up for a morning ride, it warmed up in like 15 seconds.......with the stock pipe it would take a least a minute and a half. Not sure if it's the pipe that made the difference or the service guy adjusting something.

After doing a DJ carb mod and new Q4 and header I also noticed that it warms up much, much faster. Like 20-30 seconds instead of 90-120 seconds.
Pops a little on hard decel, not that much and otherwise sounds so much better and rages all the way through the gears to top speed.