Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   just found oil leak need help (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/just-found-oil-leak-need-help-37162/)

lanky 01-25-2012 05:06 AM

just found oil leak need help

hey been noticing that my bike has started leaking oil. their is a small amount of oil on the ground. and sometimes i get a spot on my boot after long rides(cant be certain its oil yet ) had a look over the bike and their is quite a bit of oil and dirt stuck to it around the exhaust out let and under neith. it looks like it could be comeing from somewhere above this as their is quite abit of dirt ruing up the moter along a hollow. is this likely the sourse or could it be something else. dont no were the likely places it could be comeing from so this is greatly interfering with my fault finding and possibly fixing myself.
thanks for your time. can get pictures if needed
Mike

EMS_0525 01-25-2012 11:03 AM

Pictures would help alot. The valve cover gasket could be leaking. If its coming from above the exhaust port. First of all you need to figure out what it is...

jeffzx9 01-25-2012 12:21 PM

Quite often, the exhaust port has a metal ring "gasket" which expands and will tighten-up (by design) to seal the outlet. You might just need to adjust or replace the metal "gasket" and make sure the exhaust pipe header fits properly. If that's not it, post up a pic or three and we'll try to help.

EMS_0525 01-25-2012 01:43 PM

Oil shouldnt be leaking from where the exhaust comes out of the head.....

whyzee 01-25-2012 05:13 PM

probably the air injection valve above the exhaust port. There are 2 gaskets that make-up the seal

jeffzx9 01-25-2012 07:19 PM

EMS, on a 2-stroke, if the mixture is rich and the exhaust flange is crap, sometimes it will. Ideally, you're right; but occasionally it will. ;)

dan888 01-25-2012 09:41 PM

Make sure your O-ring is still on the oil filler cap. I know you said the leak was in the front exhaust area, but it's worth a check. That O-ring leak comes up on here every once in a while.
Dan

2veedubs 01-26-2012 12:00 AM

Jeffzx9,

Two strokes have unburnt oil (spooge) in the exhaust that like you say can leak out at the header flange. This is not the case on a klx.

Whyzee,

The air injection system contains no oil to leak out.

I vote for valve cover gasket! Or could be left over oil on the skid plate/frame from the last time you changed oil.

Good luck finding the source.

whyzee 01-26-2012 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2veedubs (Post 461935)
Whyzee,

The air injection system contains no oil to leak out.

When I changed the air injector valve on my bike to the BB blockoff plate a bit (trickle) of oil came out.

I do not know where it originated from as I am not sure of the internal passage way of the air injecting system.

lanky 01-26-2012 04:49 AM

photos

5 Attachment(s)
hey just took these photos hope they help
Attachment 4868

Attachment 4869

Attachment 4870

Attachment 4871

Attachment 4872

think it may be the valve cover gasket at the front. also ive just had it back from the shop cause i broke the selector star. could it have been from when they fixed that? would they have touched that part of the engine.
thanks again mike