I understand about the 13 tooth sprocket But Why the bigger Rear Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default I understand about the 13 tooth sprocket But Why the bigger Rear Sprocket

Like the title say's, I understand about the 13 tooth sprocket and what it does But Why the Bigger Rear Sprocket.

People on here running the 13 tooth front sprocket talk about they know it's wearing their chain and gears more then stock and when they wear out they will just go to a bigger rear sprocket. What's the purpose in this. I'm sure its not just to repalce worn components right. By going to say a 45 tooth rear sprocket what do this do. Does it Lower the gearing even more like the 13 tooth front sprocket does or does it Raise the gearing and if so doesnt that cancel out the purpose of the 13 tooth front sprocket. Inquiring mind's would like to know. Thanks...

LV

Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I understand about the 13 tooth sprocket But Why the bigger Rear Sprocket

Going taller (larger) on the rear sprocket has the same effect as going smaller on the counter shaft sprocket. i.e. Lower gearing.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I understand about the 13 tooth sprocket But Why the bigger Rear Sprocket

Oh yea! If you do decide to go larger on the rear it's time for added chain links or replacement with a longer one.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Going bigger in the rear will lower the gear and make the bike wheelie easier, you will loose top end speed. -1 front lowers the gear and you feel more power but loose top end speed. Together it just rocks, bike is very quick and will get up to speed faster then stock gearing will.
I do not recommend dropping anymore then 1 i the front due to the wear it will cause to the chain.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just to add to this, dropping 1 in front is approximately the same effect as adding 3 on the rear sprocket as far as the gearing ratio goes. Thus, 13 front is roughly equivalent to running a 45 in the back. Some go even higher, though - just depends on the type of riding you do the most and what you like. I didn't like losing the relatively low RPM cruising speed of the stock gearing so I took a different approach and went to the higher bore size which has a similar effect but retains stock gearing ratios and didn't raise the RPMs for highway cruising.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I see on your other post that you do mostly street with occasional off-road. As an old M/X 'er and new owner of the KLX250s. I can tell you that there is no perfect solution. Lower gearing for the trails, or taller for street, it's all trade off. And as far as chain wear with the 13 tooth I wouldn't be to concerned (maintain or replace as needed) Hey, as a new owner myself, let me know what works for you. My conditions are 80 percent off-road. I am personally planning on starting the mod's w/ big gun, smog removel, snorkel (because I do blast through water holes; need the front wheel up) hope it works or i'll be looking into bigbore. $$$... Let the fun begin...Again!

Hey forum members,
Thanks for all the info, this will save me considerable time and research on the mods as did the part #'s posted.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well for me there is a perfect solution. You see when I bought the bike it had the stock 14-42, and with my weight and the way they have the thing so squeezed down on the emissions I decided to do the 13 tooth mod as my first thing. While it did help a little, after the Jetting and Muzzy and also running with the air box lid off I also decided at the same time to do the 45 tooth in the back, well because these bikes stock in 6th gear are pretty gutless, with all the changes I think I have the perfect bike, I can rip up the steepest trails, but I still have plenty of high end for cruising the blacktop. Before the 45 tooth I was at 6000 rpm's doing 60 in 6th gear. Now with the 45 it's right at 6600 rpm's at 60 in 6th gear, and I can actually accelerate. And as was mentioned before it all depends on what you want. For me I don't really do a lot of highway riding, but if you had a 40 mile commute instead of my 2 mile commute, then I think I would leave the 42 or else keep the 14 on the front and go to a 49 on the back. Look for my post on the outcome of my engine noise at the shop......interesting stuff.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
Look for my post on the outcome of my engine noise at the shop......interesting stuff.
Quit holding out on us deej ... get that post up.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:23 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Already done

Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I was talking to the dealer and they now have a stock TEN tooth front sproket... I was thinking that might get the gearing more toward what I was used to with my CR125R Its like $13 bucks.... Anyone have any experience with -4 on the front sproket?? (They said since its a Kawasaki gear for the KLX 250, its still covered under warrenty...)

Quick Reply: I understand about the 13 tooth sprocket But Why the bigger Rear Sprocket