The fuel tank question.....

Old 02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The fuel tank question.....

OK...here it is...I need a bigger fuel tank for my steed.
I am very aware of my options as they are. IM,Clarke,Acerbis (ugly) .
To this day after logging over 5000 miles on my klx i have yet to have the little fan turn on...Even while riding in deep mud in WV. at the Hatfield-McCoy trails....I had switched my system over to engine ice before the H-M trip and it tells me that it works.....I'm considering the IMS tank because IMHO i can live without the rad fan as i've never seen it actually turn on.....I'm also a firm believer that the Amsoil and the engine ice coolant do their jobs very well...what's the opinions here as far as running in similar conditions and using the same coolant and engine oil?....I do know for a fact that when running the same stuff in my atv the fan almost never turns on with this coolant and this engine oil combo.....proven fact as i have experienced it first hand.....Just looking for other opinions....My first shot on a tank is the IMS....It's larger and i did fit one earlier this year but then i returned it later after the fan clearance issue...which i regret...

Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The fuel tank question.....

Hi Truckman, I am in the process of fitting my IMS tank due to winter boredom. There are good posts on here about doing this. Tis a bit of a hassle but I guess that depends on your patience. Biggest hassles are wiring harnesses, just have to figure out where you wan't them, also you need a fuel valve from a KLX300, I couldn't find an aftermarket. Also you need rad shrouds from a 94-96 KLX250 or dremel and redesign your originals, I couldn't find aftermarket for these either(not exactally a popular bike back then).As far as fans go I think I am going to hook up a couple of small computer ones just to be on the safe side. Fan was only fitted because this is a street legal bike and you could get stuck in traffic. But like I said there are excellant write ups if you search.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Truckman - I just put an Acerbis tank on last week and it bolted right on. I even hooked a "Y" and dual pickups to get all of the fuel out of the wings. I tested it a lot with water before I put it on the bike and the pickups work great. When I let it gravity feed dry through reserve there was only about 1/2 inch of water left in the bottom of the wings. Another cool thing about the Acerbis tank is You can see the fuel through the tank so, You always know how much ya got...

I live in Quakertown if You want to see how I have it set up.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

10-4 Scott...I'm right in Sellersville so i'm only about 5 mintues away from you......lemme know when you are available to meet up for me to check it out.......maybe next weekend????or maybe during the week is fine too.....you tell me.....

Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the clark tank- fit fine- hard to get seat back on 1st time as the new tank is higher where the tank mounts. I think the clark adds 1 gallon more then stock.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Does the Acerbis "superguppy" affect handling? It seems like there would be some slosh and the fuel is up pretty high. Maybe the fuel gets trapped in the wings so, the only negative is in the aesthetics.

The Clarke is a pretty easy upgrade and adds 0.8 gallons which will get a a lot of people 120 to 150 miles before refueling. Add a couple of 33oz fuel bottles from your favorite camping/hiking store and you have a lot of range for anything but the remotest stretches.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I would say if you are doing street miles where you might have the chance of sitting in traffic I would put some kind of cooling fan on there. For the most part it won't be needed offroad, the klx300 never came with one.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I just put the tank on last week and haven't riden it much so, I am not sure if it will affect handling or not? It will probably be a few weeks or more before I go for a long ride to see if it affects handling at all.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Scott, do have any pics or even a rough sketch of what you did for the dual pickups in the Acerbis?
I've heard of this before but never taken the time to try and build it myself... The gas in the wings really bothers me... 0.8 gallons on my bike.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Jason, no I didn't take any pics of my setup before I installed it. It took me a good 4 hours and a lot of cussing to get it all done. I had every intention of taking pictures before I installed the setup but, I tried so many things to make the pick up tubes out of that when I finally got them in there I didn't want to take it all out to take photos...

Take the petcock tube with You to an auto parts supply. You will find a vacuum T fitting that fits perfectly over the petcock tube. Next take the vacuum T fitting and find nylon or tygon fuel tubing that fits over the T fitting to go down to each wing. Next You will need a small piece of fuel tubing that will go over the petcock to T fitting joint just to be sure it has a good seal (You don't want to do this twice :-) Next use a plastic tube to plug into the end of the pick up lines for 2 reasons, one so that You have something stiff to push it down into the wings and two it has to stay down in the wing and not be able to "fall up and out" if You wreck.
Now to install it, use a strong flashlight to shine through the tank and You will be able to see the lines that You are fishing through the wings. feed the lines through the center port when You look at the side of the tank. the bottom port is too narrow and going through the top makes it harder to fish them down.
Make sure You use good quality zip ties on all of the internal joints so they won't come apart over time. I thoroughly water tested mine to be sure everything worked good and didn't leak before I put it on the bike.

If You decide to do it, I can PM You my cell number and explain it better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The fuel tank question.....