How to properly corner on the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default How to properly corner on the road

While my years of offroad experience have taught me how to flick bikes around at low speed, i've found that when it comes to street speeds, I really don't know what the hell i'm doing...

Which cornering technique would you guys say works better for taking highspeed corners on the road.

MX style, where you have the outside corner of the seat sitting right inbetween your buttcheeks, and have your inside leg outstretched for balance.

Or Superbike style, where you do the opposite, and have the inside corner of the seat sitting right inbetween your buttcheeks, and have your knee out for balance.

Or a combination of both?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How to properly corner on the road

i try not to lean too much in corners on the street with the knobbie tires... do what feels right and comfortable for you.... dont lean too much though.... its not a banked dirt turn....lol

Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i try not to lean too much in corners on the street with the knobbie tires... do what feels right and comfortable for you.... dont lean too much though.... its not a banked dirt turn....lol
Wait, do you mean don't lean too much INTO the turn, ala mister Rossi and mister West, or don't lean too much on the OUTSIDE peg, as if I were on a track.

My problem is that, it all feels just as comfortable to me, but I tend to run wide when I lean with the bike, yet I wasn't sure if dirt style was proper or safe.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I think i would say tires and speed have alotto due with it With the stock tires I could keep my speed up and slide the rear with a little trail brake and then snap the gas to lock the handle bar to round the corner off this was done with my feet up on the pegs. Iwas toughthow to do this back in the early 90's on a two stoke road race Yamaha its worked well for me.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well i take it easy on the road, and slow down til it feels comfortable to me... if i go down and slide, chances of getting run over are prettty good.. but i haul *** in dirt... thats just me.....

Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

So, you're saying I should get brave, and start trying to go sideways, ala supermoto racers?

:|

No thanks, I value my life.

I'm going to try to hit up some twisties tommorow, and practice the MX style, only with my rear plated fairly firmly to the seat. That seems to be what the Supermoto dudes use.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Often times, the difference between being a probability and becoming a statistic is knowledge......

If your interested, have a read of the last 6 bullets under "General information" via this link from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/...le/default.htm

It gives you the straight scoop on how to achieve the most friction when cornering and remember, friction is you FRIEND on pavement.

In the dirt, I personally agree with EMS, its all good especially when a potential burm comes into view.....!!!!

Have fun!!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

HEY Dave!!! Whats going on? havent herd from u for a while.....

Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

Often times, the difference between being a probability and becoming a statistic is knowledge......

If your interested, have a read of the last 6 bullets under "General information" via this link from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

http://safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/...le/default.htm

It gives you the straight scoop on how to achieve the most friction when cornering and remember, friction is you FRIEND on pavement.

In the dirt, I personally agree with EMS, its all good especially when a potential burm comes into view.....!!!!

Have fun!!
Well, it says to not be discouraged to stick your knee out to influence the lean angle, and not be discouraged to do anything EQUIVILANT to sticking your knee out, and I assume that sticking your leg out is considered on par with sticking your knee out.

Other than that, I didn't see much there that I didn't already know

I'm still pretty lost on this. You seem to insinuate that the MX esque technique is incorrect and dangerous on the road. Is this true?

I just seem to ALLWAYS start running wide, and get uncomfortable with the lean angle, when I lean into a turn. Would doing it incorrectly result in this?

Why does "leaning out" seem to work MARVELOUSLY when taking sweeping turns at 60 mph, even though it is intended for slow situations?

Dammit, i'm confused now

Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Just my opinion, the mx style works best for me. I think that it is the riding posture that dictates the cornering style. Sport bikes with the forward posture feels better with the knee out and more severe lean, while the DS bikes are more upright and dictate the mx style.
But opinions are like a__holes,....... everybody's got one.

Quick Reply: How to properly corner on the road