///HELP/// NO SPARK All THE SUDDEN

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Question ///HELP/// NO SPARK All THE SUDDEN

Maybe you guys can help me out here, maybe someone has had a similar problem. I have the 09 KLX if you don't know.

I have a no spark at all the sudden, I don't know what the deal is. The bike has been sitting outside for the last 4 days and I haven't started it until today. Its been raining a lot but my bike is under the roof so it hasn't been soaked or anything. my problem is that I don't have any spark at all, my battery is good, the starter relay is working, the starter motor is turning. I haven't got around to checking the coil or crankshaft sensor, I need to pick up my multimeter from work. You guys have any ideas how I should attack this besides ripping everything apart. And Its nothing little like the clutch switch, being in gear, the kickstand being down, kill switch or anything like that.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

To start, check your grounds (neg, -). It could be something as simple as the coil wire being loose. Also, if you don't have a spare spark plug. Go pick one up and try it then.

Someone on here before had a problem with CDI. Can't remember, but it was something simple that went wrong.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you sure its got no spark?
ie, you have pulled the plug and checked.
The vacuum carbs have a habit of not firing up after they have been left parked unless the fuel bowl is run dry.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Money on the side stand switch shorting in the damp weather.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Money on the side stand switch shorting in the damp weather.
I thought that would stop it turning over?
But mine was binned on day one so I'm not 100% sure.
Easy thing to bypass though.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Its not a safety switch. They prevent the starter motor from turning over. Sidestand or clutch; if they go bad the motor won't turn over (via the starter that is).

I'm not an expert but it sounds like an ignition coil / CDI problem to me. How long have you had the bike? Still under warrantee?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

bad kill switch? at the right grip

Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 AM

Hi,
I had an issue similar a few days ago. I had a very weak spark tracking around the outer edge of the sparkplug instead of between electrodes. Bike only had 28 miles on it. The dealership claimed such a spark was normal until the stator started outputting. Ended up replacing the sparkplug and all was grand. Spark was visibly healthy. Old sparkplug looked brand new but was most definitely defective or damaged.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

well I found the problem. I checked the coil everything looked good there proper ohm value, so after looking around at all the wiring for a bit I noticed that my carb (tm36) which is a bit of a tight fit was rubbing against the positive led to my starter and had chafed into the wire a bit. so what I did was just run an external wire directly from the battery to the starter with a switch in between and bam she started right up. So the starter was turning before but must not of been spinning fast enough to energize the stator. I find it kind of weird though as you would think I would get a week spark at least if the motor was tuning over at all. So now I need to splice in a new wire that should be fun but atleast its cheaper than a coil or something.

Thanks for your replies guys

Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Glad you figured it out. On my Epic ride to Oregon a couple of weeks ago, my side stand switch kept sticking up inside and I would have to reach down and pull the pin. When I got home I did the loop bypass. Something I should have done a long time ago.

Quick Reply: ///HELP/// NO SPARK All THE SUDDEN