Help diagnosing a problem - no electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Help diagnosing a problem - no electric

Need some ideas for diagnosing a problem.

Bike is a stock, 2009 KLX250s, with about 1500 miles on it.

I was out riding today with a friend. We took a break from the trail and stopped to do some practice drills. Specifically, the one where we see who can take the longest to get from point A to point B (balance, clutch control, throttle control, rear brake contol).

The bike stalled on me a few times (my error). On the last stall, I hit the starter button and nothing. So I look at the dash, and nothing is on...no power. I check the ignition switch and the key is set to ON. The engine kill switch is set to ON. Hmmmm.

Thought maybe I had blown a fuse but checked the ignition fuse and it was ok. Also took the battery out of my friends DR650 and hooked it up to the KLX to see if we could get the KLX started and......nothing.....not even headlights or dashboard came on.

After about 20 minutes, the dash and headlight turned on. I thought great. Then I hit the starter switch and everything cut out again. Waited about another 15 minutes, and got the light and dash to come on. This time, I push started the bike and got it started.

Got home and shut the bike off. Was getting ready to put it away (I always run the float bowl dry) and when I went to start it, all power cut out again. I heard a clack toward the rear of the bike.

I suspect a couple of things but not sure how to zero in.

1. Starter problem
2. Overheating (I mention this because the practice drill is very slow speed) and I don't recall the fan coming on.
3. Some other electrical problem

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW - does the KLX have some kind of shut power down if the bike is too hot? I would have thought the temperature warning light would come on first but don't recall seeing it on.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I suspect it's as simple as a poor ground. Could be battery post, internal battery intermittant ground, or wiring ground. I hope it's that simple, because I HATE electrical problems.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ground

I agree with a ground problem.

Since you had the battery out those connections should be OK.

How about checking the first spot the ground lead from the battery connects to the frame.

Hope you easily find a loose ground connection.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a broken connection. Since everything is dead, start from the battery. Check for a good ground, check the 20A main fuse with a ohm meter, then work your way through the system. The 20A main should have saved any wires from melting, but one you may have a short. Again, since everything is dead it's gotta be on the main power feed from the battery. Follow the white wire up to the ignition switch. You should have 12V with the switch off. The brown wire should have 12V with the switch on.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Getting closer

Ok, so its not a problem with overheating.

Bike was in the broken condition (no power to ignition/dash) and I took off all the side panels and took of the gas tank bolts and moved the gas tank outta the way.

Wife goes to hand me the phone, I'm nowhere close to the bike, and the lights come on (key was in the ignition in the ON position). So....definitely electrical.

I hit the starter button and hear the clack again.

When the bike got power again, I was able to duplicate the no power condition by unplugging this module"
Name:  IMG-20120812-00761.jpg
Views: 5406
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  Rockaway-20120812-00764.jpg
Views: 6133
Size:  51.9 KB

Additionally, I had my hand on this module and hit the starter button, and felt the clack from this module.

What is it? Do they normally go bad or is this really not the issue (meaning its somewhere else but just detecting here).

Ed

Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default even closer

Did some searching online......think I'm getting really close.

Part # 27010-1336 - Starter Solenoid Relay

Its about $80 bucks (sux). I'd hate to order this and find out this isn't the problem. Anyone know of a quick way to verify if this is indeed the issue?

Ed

Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

don't think the starter relay wouldn't kill power to the dash lights? it's most likely making a noise because it doesn't have enough power to it. I'd keep looking for a bad connection or ground.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
don't think the starter relay wouldn't kill power to the dash lights? it's most likely making a noise because it doesn't have enough power to it. I'd keep looking for a bad connection or ground.
Well, did a little experiment that contradicts what you said.

I hit the starter button and get the bike to go into this "no power" condition. Interestingly, when I try to measure voltage at the battery, I get none. I then disconnect this module, and voila.....battery shows voltage.

Ed

Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

If your battery reads under 10V its toast. Something is shorting 12v to ground.

There are 2 power paths to ground:
battery->starter module->starter->ground
battery->20a fuse->ignition switch->lights, ignition, horn, (everything)->ground

The module is open when off and closed when you hit the starter button. If 12V goes to zero, I'd look at the starter.

Last edited by Lotrat; 08-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm also assuming that you have a good battery. Your battery may just be bad. Did you swap batteries with your buddy or just jump yours?

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing a problem - no electric