Headers - FMF Power Bomb vs Mega Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Headers - FMF Power Bomb vs Mega Bomb

Hi Guys,

I am currently running stock header with a Q4 pipe, dynojet 128, and snorkel out. I am debating a header. 1) Does a "high performance" header provide noticable improvement over the stock? 2) Which of the two options is better, Power Bomb or Mega Bomb & why?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Power bomb and mega bomb are supposed to make the slip-ons even quieter respectively, don't know if its an audibly noticeable decrease though.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

When I spoke with Bill Blue on the phone he said that the stock headers provide the most power output with stock or 351 big bore. He said that he did dyno runs to confirm this.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
When I spoke with Bill Blue on the phone he said that the stock headers provide the most power output with stock or 351 big bore. He said that he did dyno runs to confirm this.
This is interesting. I wonder if he reports peak power only, or if there is a difference over most or all of the rpm range.

To the OPs question...I've not seen any proof if either is necessarily better for our KLX. Fitting a heat shield to the Mega may be more difficult than fitting one to the Power bomb. That was important to me.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

my 2009 250s had a power bomb header/powercore slip-on. my 2012 has just the slip on and i notice no less power output

Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

All i know is the only dyno verified 33+ HP KLX that i have seen has a aftermarket header on it.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I have installed one on my bike Megabomb displacement of 300cc and goes very well.

The main benefit is the reduction in decibels, clearly perceptible. Has decreased so much noise that I'm planning to install an FMF Powercore 4 (currently I have a LEOVINCI and the bike sounds like the factory).

Do not expect large increases in power, but in my case I have noticed an improvement in power delivery: I like it.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Fitting a heat shield to the Mega may be more difficult than fitting one to the Power bomb. That was important to me.
I'm very happy with my pro-carbon heat shield, easy to install, doesn't stick out very far from the megabomb, looks kinda cool & you will absolutely not get burnt if your leg touches it.....80% of my riding in Thailand is in shorts & no burns since fitting it!! Once every couple of weeks i'm reminded how good an investment it was, when I do something silly & accidentally touch my leg onto it !!!!!

I got mine off ebay but here's a link to see it on pro-carbons site: http://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk/sh...20MegaBomb.jpg

Btw my bike felt like it had more torque when I fitted the megabomb & it would hit the rev limiter easier in 5th gear on a top speed runs & it will deepen/quieten your exhaust note as well......what more do you want...lol

Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a powerbomb don't know anything about the megabomb but I found no noise output differance at all. But a nice boost in power right off idle were the bike was very weak, it's still real weak but it will pull the front wheel up now without a jack.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Megabomb all the way!!!!!

Quick Reply: Headers - FMF Power Bomb vs Mega Bomb