Hard start 351 and tm36-68

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hard start 351 and tm36-68

Just wondering what I've done wrong.

351 and tm36-68 ; Pilot: 17.5, Main: 130, Needle jet: P4, Jet needle: 9EBY01-50 – clipped in 3rd from the top, Air Jet 0.9.

HARD to start, takes about 1/4 throttle to get her to start, and about 3-5 hits of the starter.

Once she's warm, idles good and runs great.

No dead/flat spots thru the gears... Pulls like a bull...

Am I missing something here??? Wtf??

Old 11-08-2015, 11:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

No mention, but I assume you're using the choke. If using the choke, you don't touch the throttle. Doing so diminishes the choke's effect by reducing vacuum. Could you define "3-5 hits of the starter"?...Three sessions of button grinding?...three revolutions of the engine?...what?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
No mention, but I assume you're using the choke. If using the choke, you don't touch the throttle. Doing so diminishes the choke's effect by reducing vacuum. Could you define "3-5 hits of the starter"?...Three sessions of button grinding?...three revolutions of the engine?...what?
Geuss i should have been more specific, sorry!

Tried only choke, no start. Normally choke off and some throttle will get her going.

Three-five sessions on the starter, say 5-8 seconds each. Will almost catch a few times before she fires. Sometimes a kind of PFFFFFT backfire. Once started and warm she's golden.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:09 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The choke on the 36-68 is very effective. It's surprising you're not getting a quick start. Sometimes a low fuel level can cause the starter circuit in a carb to be inefficient. It's been quite awhile since I had mine apart to recall where and how high the starter circuit gets its fuel. How quickly does your bike start if you use the accelerator pump with 2 or 3 good whacks on the throttle...fully opening and closing each time?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
The choke on the 36-68 is very effective. It's surprising you're not getting a quick start. Sometimes a low fuel level can cause the starter circuit in a carb to be inefficient. It's been quite awhile since I had mine apart to recall where and how high the starter circuit gets its fuel. How quickly does your bike start if you use the accelerator pump with 2 or 3 good whacks on the throttle...fully opening and closing each time?
I've only tried to start from cold maybe 5 times so far. Always a starts but takes a while, so I Haven't tried all things I presume.

Tried choke on no throttle....no start

Choke off no throttle...no start

1 full roll of the throttle...no start

Choke off 1/4 throttle... will start after a bit

Possible my AP is not set right? Can someone dumb down the screw settings for me?

One thing I'll admit, being a dumb ***, I did not make sure the pumper was "splashing" the needle...

Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On your AP, did you check the setting for opening at 1/8th throttle and closing at 3/4? I'm guessing you have the tuning specs for the carb...right? Yeah, it's important for the squirt of the AP to go straight at the needle. However, none of that should affect cold startup. That is entirely dependent on the choke, and this choke usually works really well. That's the only reason I mention fuel level. Not much else can affect this choke system but fuel level and the size starter jet the carb came with. Unlike our OEM CV carbs, this carb has a rich starter jet, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Another missing bit of information is needed: Where is the pilot screw (idle mixture) set?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Another missing bit of information is needed: Where is the pilot screw (idle mixture) set?

Ride on
Brewster
Knew I forgot something!!!!

Have it 3 turns out.

Might try 1.5-2 turns out

Old 11-09-2015, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Checked the squirt, splashes on the needle.

AP comes on at 1/8th.

Still took 5 mins of screwing with the throttle to get it started. Choke doesn't seem to be supplying enough fuel?

Smoke when she does start, then clears up and no smoke...

Scratching my head pretty bad here lol

Last edited by Dash8; 11-09-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

AHA!!

Half choke she starts right up from cold. So full choke might be flooding it.

Now to see if the choke can be adjusted

Quick Reply: Hard start 351 and tm36-68