To Grind or To Drill - That is the Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Default To Grind or To Drill - That is the Question

Alright ladies, I will be installing my new Tusk Raptor bars in the next few days. In planning for that, I need to decide if I am going to drill the bars to accept the nubs on the kill switch perch and headlight switch perch.

When I installed my last set of bars, I decided to drill, and it worked out pretty well. I hate doing it though, because I am always paranoid that I am going to put the hole in the wrong place since, by definition, you have tomark the locationbefore you really have the switch seated.

Anyway, I know some folks grind the nub off of the perches. For those of you that have done this, do you get much movement of your controls? I know this is one of those "personal choice" deals, but I am just looking for some subjective input.

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: To Grind or To Drill - That is the Question

I ground mine off with a Dremmel type tool.

I have everything tightened up just enough that if I or should I say...WHEN I fall, they will be able to shift and slide RATHER than snap off and break. I do this with all my handlebar attatchments except my hand guards.

Dave

Old 03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I ground mine off no movement problems so far.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM

I ground mine, and I have a little movement. I think I willneed to put some silicone under there to hold them in place. It's not bad enough to matter. I haven't had any issues with hte throttle side, but I've had some rotation with the left controls. It doesn;t move while riding, but after a few rides it does slip a little.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i cut mine off..... you could put a thin piece of rubber between the plastic and the barsto stop movement.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Definitely grind. Drilling the bars would probably weaken them.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 PM

Well, it's looks like grinding is leading by 5-0. I guess I'll be doing me a little grindin'.

I like Eric's idea to use a thin piece of rubber underneath to prevent any movement. I will probably steel a balloon from my kids and wrap a layer under each control.

Thanks for the input gents.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

Well, it's looks like grinding is leading by 5-0. I guess I'll be doing me a little grindin'.

I like Eric's idea to use a thin piece of rubber underneath to prevent any movement. I will probably steel a balloon from my kids and wrap a layer under each control.

I went the grind and wrapped a layer of electrical tape to obtain a snug fit.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: double d6

I ground mine off with a Dremmel type tool.

I have everything tightened up just enough that if I or should I say...WHEN I fall, they will be able to shift and slide RATHER than snap off and break. I do this with all my handlebar attatchments except my hand guards.

Dave
Exactly what Dave said. I haven't done this to my bike yet, but did it on the wife's bike and the other 225 in the stable. It was when I installed the heated grips on both of those bikes, and had to move everything, I just took the dremmel and their gone. No problems so far.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

Well I don't know about a balloon, but a piece of inner tube works great. "I'm sorry honey I don't know why your bicycle tire is flat, daddy has to go now."

Quick Reply: To Grind or To Drill - That is the Question