Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Fun While It Lasted.... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/fun-while-lasted-41577/)

GBAUTO 03-25-2014 12:35 AM

It's Alive!!! UPS arrived a day early(first time ever). so I finished the cam install and buttoned it up. I'm amazed that Webcam is able to keep the base diameter of the lobes the same after welding. It didn't even need any adjustment on the shims. I was only able to do a quick run because it's 35 deg. outside but it doesn't clatter anymore and it lofts the front wheel(power wheelie) in the first three gears so it has definitely got more balls compared to before.

MaximusPrime 03-25-2014 02:41 AM

Nice going!

dan888 03-25-2014 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime (Post 508127)
Nice going!

+1 well done.

mikezx10 03-26-2014 02:49 PM

A little more about the cam upgrade please.... u know, before and after cam. :D

GBAUTO 03-27-2014 12:21 AM

OK, the weather cooperated this afternoon so I went for a good ride on some FS roads.

This is the engine that Kawasaki should have built all along. Compared to the pre cam 351 it now has very good drive up through 9500 rpm-it doesn't nose over like it does with the oe cams. I run 13/42 gearing and this thing will now power wheelie in the first 3 gears and will carry into 4th with a good shift- oh yeah!!

All I can hope for now is that this thing won't grenade anytime soon cause it's gonna be fun.

mikezx10 03-27-2014 04:25 AM

well allrighty then... thats the news Ive been waiting to hear!!
I will be placing my order next month.
Thanks and enjoy! ;)

GBAUTO 03-28-2014 05:11 AM

I made it out again this afternoon for a more 'in depth' evaluation. I went out along a forest service road by my house that runs along a ridge line so it has a fair amount of elevation change and hairpins. The engine is very happy to lug down and pulls cleanly without any hiccups. There is a VORTAC beacon at the top of Gumlog mountain so I made my way up-sorry I didn't bring my camera but it was really nice out and it offered a panoramic view of the rest of the mountains on N. Georgia. I headed back down and decided to head over to a OHV riding area that the FS has in the area. The commute allowed me to run a particular section of blacktop that is super twisty and even with the well worn TMII's it was exciting. The engine now has the ability to get the rear tire to step out so care is needed.
Beasley Mountain OHV area is a series of trails that traverse two mountain peaks. The area is open to bikes and 4 wheelers and also allows narrow track jeeps to attempt the trails. I say attempt because some of the inclines are 45 deg. or better and they have incorporated steps along the way as waterbars. The terrain is clay based with basketball sized rocks thrown in for good measure to keep you awake. Fortunately it hasn't rained for a few days because this stuff is slick as owl $hit when it gets wet. The last time I was out here it had rained a few days prior and it was completely impassable. I had no issues making it up(and down) all of the trails and was very satisfied with the performance of the bike.
Based on the performance so far here is my take on the KLX. I have added about $1800 worth of upgrades(this doesn't include labor costs-I do my own wrenching) so for about $6000(including the bike) I have transformed a pokey trail putter into something that can come close to performing like a machine that sells for 8K. It still a bit porky but since I'm not in the habit of launching off of triples anymore I can live with it.
Now the real question is...what to do next

RockabillSlapMatt 03-28-2014 07:09 AM

What to do next? Experiment with tires I suppose :P maybe get a better stator to run some goodies?

mikezx10 03-28-2014 05:00 PM

What he said!! ;)