Front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front end alignment

I dumped my bike on the ice at then end of my ride this past weekend: http://klx250s.suncup.net/TripReport...nee/index.html

...and ended up moving the right hand guard so it was pinching the throttle so it wouldn't return normally, kind of a cruise control.

Easy fix, just loosen it up and readjust. However, after looking a my bike, it appears the the front end alignment is out of whack:

My bike stand has a lean to it, so ignore that. But look at the relationship of the front wheel to the fender. What could cause that?

I plan on loosening everything up and putting it back right, if I can. Nothing looks broken or bent. It seems like the bottoms of the forks have a mind of there own and got a twist to them.

I didn't notice this while riding -- hopefully I can get everything straightened out.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front end alignment

maybe the fender is just tweaked...

Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan, that's not unusual in a crash like that. You don't even need to loosen anything up. Just straddel the front tire and squeeze it between your knees. Then grab your handlebars and twist in the direction you need it to go. You will feel it give and go back into place. You can loosen the forks in the tree clamps and achieve the same result but if there is some resistance you won't be apt to go to far the other way.
It's kind of like you had to do on your bicycle when you were a kid.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes I can see it if you look at the headlight compared to the front tire Do what VFR said that should fix you up you can put the tire against a door or wall and sit on the bike and do the same thing....

Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 PM

I put the front wheel against a tree and jerk the handle bars until the wheel is in line again.
Hi, BTW... I have been lurking on this forum since about November of 06 and bought my KLX in Feb 07. It is still bone stock but I hope to change that this spring using all the useful information provided on this forum. I am planning to ride the Stumpjumpers Desert 100 in Odessa, WA. in April.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome BikeAgain!! Now quit lurking and get involved!!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 AM

Thank you vfrpilot. Now thatI have broken the ice (so to speak) I Will get involved- ad nauseaum. [sm=rant.gif] [sm=tongue.gif]I have opinions on almost everything I've read here. I might even have something useful to add!