Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Fork seals blown, again. (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/fork-seals-blown-again-38724/)

LearjetMinako 08-19-2012 06:33 PM

Fork seals blown, again.

I haven't been on here for a long time, nor have I been riding the KLX for a long time too. Had a job change and the weather been crazy hot. But now things are stable and the cooler weather is coming. But then I notice that my fork seals are leaking again. This time worse than the first time. And also the fork guards are cracked to death that they are no longer any good and will most likely break on the first trail ride. So on to the questons.

Has anybody found a better fork seal? Last set I used was Moose Racing, they did not last long. I know Kawi OEM were the most prefered last time I checked a year ago. I don't see Moose seals anymore on bikebandit.com. But I do see Pivot Racing rebuild kit. Any news on how good Pivot products are? Also, I planning to use a seal saver sleeve to protect the fork surface better after I do the rebuild.

Fork guards. I know this too was an issue for the KLX on finding a better replacement. The OEM ones are like $34 a piece. I will still pay for something like that, but I wouldn't mind if an alter one were found. Preferably aluminum guards would be nice.

TNC 08-19-2012 07:10 PM

Those Moose seals are made by All Balls, I'm fairly sure. They suck. I'm not kidding when I say the KYB OEM seals are probably the best seals out there for our suspension components. I've wasted lots of time and money playing with other companies' seals for both forks and shocks, and I haven't found anything better than the KYB originals.

On the fork guards, you need the UFO models for an older KX that dan888 discovered a long time ago. They are not made out of the brittle OEM style plastic. They're made out of a strong, flexible plastic like the fenders. I don't have the number handy, but maybe Dan can link up his old post or the number.

dan888 08-19-2012 07:42 PM

I can most certainly post up that link Mr. TNC :D
I was amazed how brittle the stock ones became over time. The replacement guards I put on in this thread are still going strong.
Dan

See here
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...cements-31419/

Blackheart58 08-19-2012 08:04 PM

The key is twofold. 1) KYB OEM seals. 2) Keep the sliders CLEAN...I use Fork Skins on all my off-road bikes. Since using them, I have had NONE leak.

Well, there may be a number 3...if there is a number 3) Luck.

dan888 08-19-2012 09:16 PM

i buy the long Tusk brand seal savers , cut them in half and get 2 for 1 :D The long ones do cost more but not twice as much.
Dan

TNC 08-19-2012 09:56 PM

dan, it's funny...I thought about using different seal protection devices, but over time I've found that the KYB seals last an extremely long time with no extra care whatsoever...assuming there's not a problem with the stanchion finishes or bushings. And B58, I don't even wash my bike but maybe 2 times a year. Good seals are good seals, and I think the OEM KYB units are about the best, most reliable units for our forks.

LearjetMinako 08-19-2012 10:22 PM

So Kawi OEM KYB seals it is. Going to cost me a pretty penny, but compared to 8k miles on the orignal ones and less than 1k miles on the Moose, it will be worth it.

I had an idea for the fork guards. Do you think that painting the new ones will make them last longer? Use a paint like a epoxy coater. It might help keep the plastic from drying out and becoming brittle.

And on the seal savers, do you think I should go full length or quarter length on those?

TNC 08-19-2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako (Post 480388)
So Kawi OEM KYB seals it is. Going to cost me a pretty penny, but compared to 8k miles on the orignal ones and less than 1k miles on the Moose, it will be worth it.

I had an idea for the fork guards. Do you think that painting the new ones will make them last longer? Use a paint like a epoxy coater. It might help keep the plastic from drying out and becoming brittle.

And on the seal savers, do you think I should go full length or quarter length on those?

Honestly, you can believe dan and I...and any others who've used the UFO versions...when we say you don't have to treat or protect the guards with paint or anything. They are a totally different plastic. They will not get brittle like the OEM units. I can't believe that someone though the plastic for those originals was a good idea. You won't have an issue with the UFO units. Totally different animal. Now, if you're wanting to paint them for a cosmetic reason, nothing wrong with that I'd reckon.

dan888 08-20-2012 12:52 AM

What are the costs for the different seals?

The stock guards only lasted me 2 yrs and were brittle/cracked before then. The UFO replacements have been on more than two and a half years , have taken much more abuse, and are as pliable as they were when new.
Dan

TNC 08-20-2012 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by dan888 (Post 480399)
What are the costs for the different seals?

The stock guards only lasted me 2 yrs and were brittle/cracked before then. The UFO replacements have been on more than two and a half years , have taken much more abuse, and are as pliable as they were when new.
Dan

Retail for KYB's range from about $15-$20 a pair.