Fork and SAE2´5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Fork and SAE2´5?

Hello!
I have curious if anyone has installed or tested in its cradle SAE 2.5 modified some of the retention system of valves on the market?: Rolleyes:

GoldValve I have installed and would like a bounce even faster. Has anyone experienced?

Old 11-26-2011, 07:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Jeff, when we talked on the PM, we didn't even cover 2.5wt suspension fluid, but yes...it can definitely work. Even with aftermarket valving that we have, this fork doesn't like 7.5 or 10. As you know, the rebound will really suck because the valving only addresses the compression stack and the rebound has not adjustment except by the oil. I know that quite a few folks using all kinds of higher quality forks on their race bikes will sometimes go to 2.5 wt with great results. It's the heavier oil that you seldom see a quality fork use...at least in shim stacked damper units like our KLX. Ported orifice forks are often a different story.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I am very happy as it operates the fork now.
But maybe in a month do some tests with SAE 2.5 and see what happens.

I understand that for off-road use is now serving fork perfectly. However, I love driving by soils and stone broken loose, where the fork and shock have to work very quickly and with little travel. That's why my interest in doing the forks rebound faster.

I thought someone else had experience with this oil, and could discuss their impressions. But it seems that only a few users who have tried this oil.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I think this information is VERY interesting!

Fork oil weights

Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I am thinking the 100C value is not much use in fork situations, unless you ride only in rock gardens...... ALL DAY!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm doing an assessment of the behavior of the fork rebound using different oils. Noting that it seems no one has experimented with SAE 2.5 I decided to do it myself and check the behavior.

I am evaluating different brands and densities:

Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5 SAE real viscosity: 13.60
Silkolene Pro RSF SAE 5: real viscosity: 26.70
FORMULA SAE 5 Putoline GP: real viscosity: 25.10

It is too early to draw conclusions, but I can say that the SAE 2.5 is not suitable for the fork: it produces a terrible rebound.
Also there is a large difference between the various existing SAE5.

I hope I have clarified the concepts weekend. And please note that I am an amateur, not a professional, so my impressions may not be all that accurate than required.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I use SAE 10 fork oil. It does help slow the bound/rebound rate of the forks.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Jear, if you review the chart, you will find that stating the SAE # is virtually meaningless. You will need to list manf & wt to evaluate & compare with other fluids...... it seems this is complicated too!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A contribution on the fork oils

Originally Posted by durielk
Jear, if you review the chart, you will find that stating the SAE # is virtually meaningless. You will need to list manf & wt to evaluate & compare with other fluids...... it seems this is complicated too!
Indeed. You are right.

What really matters is not the SAE, as each manufacturer has its own criteria and different. As we have to look is in the actual viscosity (centistokes) and VI to determine the oil quality.

As we all know the hydraulic extension or rebound in our bike is not adjustable, neither with nor with Gold Valve MOTOPro UltraMax. These valves only vary the behavior in compression.
Therefore, the extension or rebound value is determined by the viscosity of the oil we use.

1 - The range of series comes ready to work with an oil KAYABA 01. This oil is very light (15'60), is actually closer to an SAE 4.

2-So far all the complaints of the behavior of the fork are related to problems of rigidity, very soft. Right? But I have read comments that are disgusted with the rebound.

3 - In my particular experience, I usually pass through very broken roads full of small stones and roots. In this type of terrain the suspension of the 2009 KLX250 was very acceptable: absorbs quickly and works relatively well. As a critical point is that if you run into a fairly large obstacle fork sank helplessly. A disaster. We were limited to driving on relatively gentle terrain without steep slopes.

4 - The addition of stiffer springs for rigidity, but not sinking. To solve the soft excess are best valve system that we all know (Gold Valve, Ultramax). They are really eficacez to remove the soft.

5-When I decided to install the GoldValve, I took to replace the OEM oil (18000km) by GP5 Putoline (25'10 centistokes). The result was that I did not like the behavior of the fork. It was hard and dry, especially when passing through tiny obstacles, which requires a fast and smooth. Kill the rock-hard forearms. However, it was excellent for driving on sand, mud, or road. But that was not what I wanted.
Automatically I started working on the shims and lower the settings that I had recommended RACE TECH. But even going to extremes of behavior least shims remained dry, violent. Was I mistaken and had used SAE90?

6-I decided to use a much softer oil: the Silkolene 2.5RSF (13.60). Similarly there was another disaster: the bike showed a very violent bouncing on dry stone. Horror.

7-It was then that I discovered the actual weights table for fork oils and began to understand. After some more tests could determine that our fork works well-for off-road-with parameters around 15.00 (2.5wt Ohlins, Race Tech Light US1, 01 OEM Kayaba, Showa SS-05, Maxima 5wt, etc.) and 20.00 centistokes (Bel Ray HV1, Maxima 7wt, Ohlins 5wt, 5wt Agip, etc), according to the taste of each pilot.
Fork oil weights

8-Currently I have a mixture of 20/30% Silkolene 2.5 (13.60) +70 / 80% Silkolene 5RSF (26.70). in an attempt to get closer to the 15.60 of KAYABA 01.
Some may wonder why not buy directly KYB 01 directly. In the first place where I live is difficult to acquire, and secondly the Silkolene has a much higher VI.

I hope this will be helpful for someone else. Once again I apologize for my pessimism command of language, thanks google!

Greetings and gas for all!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Great info Jeff !!!

Thanks !!

Quick Reply: Fork and SAE2´5?