FMF Q4 how to make as quiet as stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM

I have two KLX's. One the Powercore 4 and one stock muffler. The Powercore is just way too loud for my area. FYI just ordered one from Amazon. Thanks! I had a basic 101 question; do these inserts affect jetting at all?

Amazon.com: FMF Racing 1 1/8" Quiet Core Insert For PowerCore 4/Ti PowerCore 4 040630: Automotive Amazon.com: FMF Racing 1 1/8" Quiet Core Insert For PowerCore 4/Ti PowerCore 4 040630: Automotive

Last edited by TheDoubleD; 05-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDoubleD
I have two KLX's. One the Powercore 4 and one stock muffler. The Powercore is just way too loud for my area. FYI just ordered one from Amazon. Thanks! I had a basic 101 question; do these inserts affect jetting at all?

Amazon.com: FMF Racing 1 1/8" Quiet Core Insert For PowerCore 4/Ti PowerCore 4 040630: Automotive
NO they do not and you wont lose any power either

Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
So that part is for the powercore 4, another model of muffler. Is that why you say it doesn't fit and you had to cut the screen? A cut screen means a defeated spark arrestor. Did you make an attempt to uncut the screen? 30$ is a decent price for the quietness you got.
I did not cut the screen on mine i bent mine over on the end

and if you put this on the q4 your going to have to elongate the hole a little to get the screw in

Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 AM
AZR
1st Gear Member

Whats the difference between:
040288 -- TITANIUM P-CORE / P-CORE 4 / Q4 1-3 / QUIET CORE SPARK ARRESTOR INSERT

and

040630 -- TITANIUM P-CORE / P-CORE 4 1-1 / QUIET CORE SPARK ARRESTOR INSERT

This is from FMF's web site, PowerCore4 Components section
Products - Accessories - FMF Racing

Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZR
Whats the difference between:
040288 -- TITANIUM P-CORE / P-CORE 4 / Q4 1-3 / QUIET CORE SPARK ARRESTOR INSERT

and

040630 -- TITANIUM P-CORE / P-CORE 4 1-1 / QUIET CORE SPARK ARRESTOR INSERT

This is from FMF's web site, PowerCore4 Components section
Products - Accessories - FMF Racing
the one im using has an extra baffle in it which quiets it down

Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone figured out a better combo for quieting up the FMF Q4? Since the last post in 2013 has any opinions changed?

I need to repack my Q4 so I'll probably start with that FMF pillow packing kit for 30 bucks, I was thinking of ordering a header too, apparently you get up to a 1.5 db reduction...and maybe try a different insert??? I want my junk to be a little more incognito but I don't want stock exhaust.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried the quiet tip as per OP, and it's not a huge difference. It's certainly nowhere near stock. It's enough to take a lot of the edge off over the stock Q4 though. for 30 bucks, I'd say it's worth it.

I will say, they must have changed the design or something because the screw that was supplied fit fine. Slide the tip in, insert screw, done!

Last edited by pwjm; 06-08-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
I tried the quiet tip as per OP, and it's not a huge difference. It's certainly nowhere near stock. It's enough to take a lot of the edge off over the stock Q4 though. for 30 bucks, I'd say it's worth it.

I will say, they must have changed the design or something because the screw that was supplied fit fine. Slide the tip in, insert screw, done!
I'm guessing the one you've tried is this one...

http://www.amazon.com/FMF-Racing-Ins.../dp/B00317BC9M

Or is the one you've tried the one with the external screen? Also, are you running a header? I want enough noise to hear my revs above 40-50 and when off road but I don't want to sound incredibly loud when ripping around the hills and canyon paved roads.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I'm guessing the one you've tried is this one...

Amazon.com: FMF Racing 1 1/8in. Quiet Core Insert for PowerCore 4/Ti PoweCore 4 040630: Automotive

Or is the one you've tried the one with the external screen? Also, are you running a header? I want enough noise to hear my revs above 40-50 and when off road but I don't want to sound incredibly loud when ripping around the hills and canyon paved roads.
nope, I used the one with the baffle as indicated in the first page:

I'm running the stock header. With just the Q4 and no tip at all it's not "incredibly" loud unless you're going HAM on a steep hill or something. Even then, it was quieter than my buddy's motocross bike. It's too loud to drive in and out of my apartment at night time though. Going to put the silencer tip back on and compare today maybe.

Last edited by pwjm; 06-08-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I was just a little confused. I googled the part number in the second picture in the very first post and it came up with the insert I found on Amazon. The insert you show matches the picture of the original post...I guess what I'm getting at is I wonder if FMF updated the insert and now it looks more compact or the backfire screen is internal.

Or maybe I'm nuts...I'm probably nuts...

I just want to quiet up my exhaust and retain a backfire screen, less stuff to swap when hitting the woods. My last straw was Saturday, we did a nice long ride and coming back we went through the winding country with lots of ranches and wineries. The speed limit is 50 and we're doing 55-60...up and down hills with a head wind the Kawi was under a good load and plenty loud. The cops don't care around here unless your REALLY hauling *** but non the less everyone is looking at you like an *** hole because they think your doubling the speed limit like the crotch rockets do. LoL

Thanks again!

Last edited by NorCalKLX; 06-09-2015 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Add a comment

Quick Reply: FMF Q4 how to make as quiet as stock